The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Thanks to you also.  As I said I wasn't in the know, so that is a real shame that we went under for such a small amount.  I seem to remember the domino effect was begun by one of David Murray's businesses, a printer in Airdrie, who we owed money to?

A sign company. The debt was incurred before Murray purchased the business. The previous owner (an Airdrie fan apparently) had been more than patient waiting for payment. Murray was in no mood to be as forgiving and went to court to have the gate money from a Dundee Utd cup game (which we lost) frozen pending payment of the debt. The club was relying on the money and, when it was blocked, went into interim administration.

I don’t think the club was particularly well run at the time but it wasn’t a financial basket case like a Livi, Gretna or Dundee.

23 minutes ago, stuartcraig said:

A sign company. The debt was incurred before Murray purchased the business. The previous owner (an Airdrie fan apparently) had been more than patient waiting for payment. Murray was in no mood to be as forgiving and went to court to have the gate money from a Dundee Utd cup game (which we lost) frozen pending payment of the debt. The club was relying on the money and, when it was blocked, went into interim administration.

I don’t think the club was particularly well run at the time but it wasn’t a financial basket case like a Livi, Gretna or Dundee.

Or Rangers...; )

I think that's the reason that people are worried - the business that other clubs are doing. If you explain our situation in isolation it sounds reasonable; needing to get players off the books, it's only May, etc

But you add in the players who have been signed by fucking Kelty, then guys like Buchanan and Wallace signing for other teams, and then Raith going Hybrid meaning we'll need to compete against them......you can't blame people for worrying or being sceptical.

17 hours ago, Old Diamond said:

In all fairness to the Chairmen of the other clubs, word was that the banks and other lending institutions had a major influence on the decisions made.  The financial institutions did not like what they saw, a club going bust  owing a considerable amount of money then magically reappearing debt free, there were and still are several clubs that were close to financial collapse and if Airdrie had been resurrected they probably correctly predicted that others would try that path (one notable club later did and unfortunately succeeded).    Phone calls were made to chairmen warning that overdrafts would not be renewed and future lending would be made more difficult if they voted in favour of the reelection of a club in Airdrie.  Watching your own arse was and still is the primary consideration.

I think if you look at the clubs who voted against us, many of them were not in financial difficulty and many of the clubs who voted for us were in financial difficulty. Therefore it would appear that many chairmen ignored the alleged phone calls telling them to vote against us and others didn't need any prompting and were more than happy to reject us.

Chris Duggan released by Raith could be worth a punt,Raith had a few good strikers and lack of regular games didn't do Duggan any favours ,Nat  Wedderburn  also releases ,got subbed during rovers first play- off ,did not make the subs bench for second game .no sure about him as he has been mentioned on here that we may be interested.

5 hours ago, Nipper said:

I think if you look at the clubs who voted against us, many of them were not in financial difficulty and many of the clubs who voted for us were in financial difficulty. Therefore it would appear that many chairmen ignored the alleged phone calls telling them to vote against us and others didn't need any prompting and were more than happy to reject us.

Just to clarify, I was not suggesting that the clubs that voted against us were in financial difficulty at that time, but almost every club relies on the goodwill of their bank (continuously or periodically) to provide debt and overdraft facilities just to run the business, if the banks got difficult the smooth running of the club would be severely disrupted.

3 hours ago, Old Diamond said:

Just to clarify, I was not suggesting that the clubs that voted against us were in financial difficulty at that time, but almost every club relies on the goodwill of their bank (continuously or periodically) to provide debt and overdraft facilities just to run the business, if the banks got difficult the smooth running of the club would be severely disrupted.

So what you're suggesting is that the clubs who voted against us did so because of fear of what might have happened in the future. I'm sorry but the notion that the banks would some how punish clubs for voting for Airdrie is a stretch too far for me.

Chris Duggan released by Raith could be worth a punt,Raith had a few good strikers and lack of regular games didn't do Duggan any favours ,Nat  Wedderburn  also releases ,got subbed during rovers first play- off ,did not make the subs bench for second game .no sure about him as he has been mentioned on here that we may be interested.

Wedderburn is an absolute dud I watched him in the playoffs too slow not closing people down I don't know know much about Duggan.

Wedderburn is a dud and a big fud