The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

6 minutes ago, Roger Thornhill said:

Were you in the same class as Doris Day?

Haw smart arse I can remember Willie Steel and Doris Day was just about to leave when I was in first year. She was a really good singer though and was always the star of the school show.

4 minutes ago, Nipper said:

Haw smart arse I can remember Willie Steel and Doris Day was just about to leave when I was in first year. She was a really good singer though and was always the star of the school show.

She was good on the baw as well

d59232a2fa6b650d7b72ec6afec10670.jpg

5 hours ago, Roger Thornhill said:

It will take me some time to find the 50 managers but I do have vague memories of Willie Steel at the start of my teenage years of supporting the Diamonds. Excluding some of the dross recently I voted Jackie Stewart as the worst manager I had ever experienced and wee Doddy as the best. As to Ian Murray I will bide my time,  We used to sing a song about  take me back to the  Ashy hills of Gartlea , being inspired by Doris in Calamity James.

14 hours ago, Roger Thornhill said:

8 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

It will take me some time to find the 50 managers but I do have vague memories of Willie Steel at the start of my teenage years of supporting the Diamonds. Excluding some of the dross recently I voted Jackie Stewart as the worst manager I had ever experienced and wee Doddy as the best. As to Ian Murray I will bide my time,  We used to sing a song about  take me back to the  Ashy hills of Gartlea , being inspired by Doris in Calamity James.

50 was a bit over top ,Ralph Collins another name I remember as manager .

+1 for Jackie Stewart as worst manager with Bill Munro as a close second, best again Alex McDonald with Bobby Watson in 2nd Spot. (Ralph Collins was in charge when I started attending Airdrie matches)

The list on Wikipedia from 1905 is 

• Andy Walker (1905–10)
  • John Chapman (1910–21)
  • William Orr (1921–26)
  • David Martyn (1926–37)
  • John Morrison (1937–41)
  • Hunter Hart (1941–43)
  • Robert Ferrier (1943–45)
  • Alex Ritchie (1945–50)
  • Willie Fotheringham (1950–54)
  • Willie Steel (1954–63)
  • Archie Wright (1963–67)
  • Ralph Collins (1967–70)
  • Ian McMillan (1970–76)
  • Jackie Stewart (1976–78)
  • Bobby Watson (1978–82)
  • Bill Munro (1982–83)
  • Ally MacLeod (1983–85)
  • Ian McMillan (1985–86)
  • Derek Whiteford (1986–87)
  • Gordon McQueen (1987–89)
  • Jimmy Bone (1989–91)
  • Alex MacDonald (1991–99
  • Gary Mackay (1999–00)
  • Steve Archibald (2000–01)
  • Ian McCall (2001–02)
  • Sandy Stewart (2002–06)
  • Kenny Black (2006–10)
  • Jimmy Boyle (2010–13)
  • Gary Bollan (2013–15)
  • Eddie Wolecki Black (2015–16)
  • Danny Lennon & Kevin McBride (both 2016 - as acting head coaches)
  • Mark Wilson (2016–17)
  • Gordon Dalziel (2017 - acting head coach)
  • Stevie Findlay (2017–18)
  • Ian Murray (2018–)
Edited by Old Diamond

3 hours ago, Old Diamond said:

+1 for Jackie Stewart as worst manager with Bill Munro as a close second, best again Alex McDonald with Bobby Watson in 2nd Spot. (Ralph Collins was in charge when I started attending Airdrie matches)

The list on Wikipedia from 1905 is 

• Andy Walker (1905–10)
  • John Chapman (1910–21)
  • William Orr (1921–26)
  • David Martyn (1926–37)
  • John Morrison (1937–41)
  • Hunter Hart (1941–43)
  • Robert Ferrier (1943–45)
  • Alex Ritchie (1945–50)
  • Willie Fotheringham (1950–54)
  • Willie Steel (1954–63)
  • Archie Wright (1963–67)
  • Ralph Collins (1967–70)
  • Ian McMillan (1970–76)
  • Jackie Stewart (1976–78)
  • Bobby Watson (1978–82)
  • Bill Munro (1982–83)
  • Ally MacLeod (1983–85)
  • Ian McMillan (1985–86)
  • Derek Whiteford (1986–87)
  • Gordon McQueen (1987–89)
  • Jimmy Bone (1989–91)
  • Alex MacDonald (1991–99
  • Gary Mackay (1999–00)
  • Steve Archibald (2000–01)
  • Ian McCall (2001–02)
  • Sandy Stewart (2002–06)
  • Kenny Black (2006–10)
  • Jimmy Boyle (2010–13)
  • Gary Bollan (2013–15)
  • Eddie Wolecki Black (2015–16)
  • Danny Lennon & Kevin McBride (both 2016 - as acting head coaches)
  • Mark Wilson (2016–17)
  • Gordon Dalziel (2017 - acting head coach)
  • Stevie Findlay (2017–18)
  • Ian Murray (2018–)

Good update on managers ,cheers .

19 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Being told to give manager a chance, I have been giving airdrie managers a chance since ,Willie Steel , Murray will get the same chance as the other 50  or so managers that have come and gone since I started following Airdrie,

I'm gonna bet you're that wee moaning faced shit with the mustache that sits just along from me giving it "Haw MacDonald, come up here MacDonald" every fucking week.

Since Murray came in, you've gave him nothing but grief despite him clearly working with inferior tools, players that, for the most part, he now wants rid of. What did you expect? Did you think he was gonna walk through the door and cast some fucking Harry Potter spell and turn Conroy into N'golo Kante?

We get that you've watched lots of managers, but that doesn't make you a sage. If you want the manager changed every five fucking minutes then you've clearly learned nothing despite your advancing years,.We need stability and to give Murray the summer to build his team. If it's shite come winter then come back on and give it large, until then pipe down.

I go back to Willie Steel.

Gary Mackay the worst up until the run of managers  after Jimmy Boyle and  before Ian Murray (with the exception of Danny Lennon).

Some real crackers in there.

Makes one wonder on the selection process..........

Being told to give manager a chance, I have been giving airdrie managers a chance since ,Willie Steel , Murray will get the same chance as the other 50  or so managers that have come and gone since I started following Airdrie,

I followed Airdrie when Willie Fotheringham was the manager before Willie Steel.

I'm gonna bet you're that wee moaning faced shit with the mustache that sits just along from me giving it "Haw MacDonald, come up here MacDonald" every fucking week.

You’ve just described about 30% of the home crowd.

3 hours ago, Pesadilla said:

Since Murray came in, you've gave him nothing but grief despite him clearly working with inferior tools, players that, for the most part, he now wants rid of. What did you expect? Did you think he was gonna walk through the door and cast some fucking Harry Potter spell and turn Conroy into N'golo Kante?

We get that you've watched lots of managers, but that doesn't make you a sage. If you want the manager changed every five fucking minutes then you've clearly learned nothing despite your advancing years,.We need stability and to give Murray the summer to build his team. If it's shite come winter then come back on and give it large, until then pipe down.

Pipe down,no,if I have an opinion I will put it out there,every body won’t agree with you.

2 hours ago, Elgindiamond said:

I go back to Willie Steel.

Gary Mackay the worst up until the run of managers  after Jimmy Boyle and  before Ian Murray (with the exception of Danny Lennon).

Some real crackers in there.

Makes one wonder on the selection process..........

Mackay had a tough gig trying to follow Doddie with the funds starting to run out. It was desperate stuff but we were at a much higher level and would have been able to thrash any of the sides we've seen in the Diamond from Jimmy Boyle onwards.

3 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Pipe down,no,if I have an opinion I will put it out there,every body won’t agree with you.

Your opinion is utterly ridiculous though. You claim to be a more mature fan yet after about  a month of Murray being in post all he got from you is criticism. I ask again, what do you expect from him coming into post with a team he's inherited and a limited budget? 

I tell you what I expected? Make us more difficult to beat and keep us up. He's achieved that. He'll get criticism from me next year based on who he signs and team performance. 

49 minutes ago, Pesadilla said:

Your opinion is utterly ridiculous though. You claim to be a more mature fan yet after about  a month of Murray being in post all he got from you is criticism. I ask again, what do you expect from him coming into post with a team he's inherited and a limited budget? 

I tell you what I expected? Make us more difficult to beat and keep us up. He's achieved that. He'll get criticism from me next year based on who he signs and team performance. 

That mean you're going next season ?

Edited by Maxismydog
Word error

1 hour ago, Pesadilla said:

I expected  the team to be able to beat East -Fife at home, I expected us to go and give Montrose a game ,yes it's my fault for thinking he could come in and make a team out of the players we had .If you were happy with the team selections and subs made then that's well and good .just hope he can bring in two or three quality players because I think that is all it would need to get us into the play off positions .