The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

14 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

But the management don't agree! First of present squad to be offered a full time contract!

Andy Ryan was/is obviously a far better footballer. But if you actually look at their league stats in their seasons with us their goals per game ratio isn't much different. Ryan got 24 in 34 starts. McIntosh got 15 in 21 starts (plus 13 sub appearances). If you were to work out goals per minutes on the pitch there would be nothing in it. Plus McIntosh was playing in a much poorer, much more defensive side.

Not sure what point I'm making, perhaps that the stats don't reflect the way that both players should be viewed the way they are.

Andy Ryan was/is obviously a far better footballer. But if you actually look at their league stats in their seasons with us their goals per game ratio isn't much different. Ryan got 24 in 34 starts. McIntosh got 15 in 21 starts (plus 13 sub appearances). If you were to work out goals per minutes on the pitch there would be nothing in it. Plus McIntosh was playing in a much poorer, much more defensive side.
Not sure what point I'm making, perhaps that the stats don't reflect the way that both players should be viewed the way they are.

Airdrie obviously the Oakland A’s of Scottish football.

Thought this was a good interview with Stuart Millar. Insightful and clarifies some more details about the Chris O'Neil situation, who's been offered deals and what sort of contracts are on offer and why MacDonald and Stewart are on the transfer list. 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/airdrieonians-qa-dof-opens-up-15672153

This is also just the list of which players have been offered what - https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/airdrieonians-full-list-diamonds-who-15670800 

Also, since there hasn't been a rumour posted for a while some boy on the Thistle thread is linking us and Morton with Kris Doolan. 

12 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Thought this was a good interview with Stuart Millar. Insightful and clarifies some more details about the Chris O'Neil situation, who's been offered deals and what sort of contracts are on offer and why MacDonald and Stewart are on the transfer list. 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/airdrieonians-qa-dof-opens-up-15672153

This is also just the list of which players have been offered what - https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/airdrieonians-full-list-diamonds-who-15670800 

Also, since there hasn't been a rumour posted for a while some boy on the Thistle thread is linking us and Morton with Kris Doolan. 

The Doolan rumour was in in the "sun" this morning,  we have also been linked to Austin at caley and numerous other players taking part in the playoffs according to the press,  we are a gullible bunch and love a bit of speech play coming Ou r way from our DOF.     Always good to be linked to this type of player, but real istically must be out of our price range.   So I fully expect a couple of stranrae r and Ea stFife to sign on to improve our squad.

9 hours ago, Passionate said:

The Doolan rumour was in in the "sun" this morning,  we have also been linked to Austin at caley and numerous other players taking part in the playoffs according to the press,  we are a gullible bunch and love a bit of speech play coming Ou r way from our DOF.     Always good to be linked to this type of player, but real istically must be out of our price range.   So I fully expect a couple of stranrae r and Ea stFife to sign on to improve our squad.

Would think Airdrie have learned the hard way,  after a good few signing's from East Fife  last season,DOF said we had signed a few youngsters on full time contracts , will that be a scheme supported by sports council or government ?,

The options facing Murray and co are not the best, as I see it it comes down to 

1) Developing youth - long term good, short term not so good as it would mean further stagnation in div 1

2) Pot luck signings from the current stock of jobbing footballers from other Div 1 clubs and hoping you get better performances than their existing clubs - short term - uncertain, long term even more so

3) Throwing cash at available Championship players in the hope that they could become the core of a good team, again an uncertain policy

Personally I wouldn't like to have his job just now, a lot of difficult decisions to be made, bet he wishes he had a crystal ball!!

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

So Airdrie are genuinely expecting some muppet to pay a fee for two League 1 players with a year to run on their deal? Has Stuart Millar started smoking crack?

The Kelty Hearts pounds will be imminent IMO. 

Genuinely I would take a packet of crisps for Kieran MacDonald. Would probably be a better defender. 

2 hours ago, Old Diamond said:

The options facing Murray and co are not the best, as I see it it comes down to 

1) Developing youth - long term good, short term not so good as it would mean further stagnation in div 1

2) Pot luck signings from the current stock of jobbing footballers from other Div 1 clubs and hoping you get better performances than their existing clubs - short term - uncertain, long term even more so

3) Throwing cash at available Championship players in the hope that they could become the core of a good team, again an uncertain policy

Personally I wouldn't like to have his job just now, a lot of difficult decisions to be made, bet he wishes he had a crystal ball!!

Ian McCall narrowly missed out on taking us to the top flight with a shed load of jobbing footballers.  You may hate McCall but you can't argue with facts.

We've just had a horrendous run of decisions in signing players. Started with EWB continued with Findlay. We're now starting to shed those contracts and hopefully we'll see a better standard coming through. 

It's flannel that we've all heard before - maybe third time lucky.....

30 minutes ago, Pesadilla said:

Ian McCall narrowly missed out on taking us to the top flight with a shed load of jobbing footballers.  You may hate McCall but you can't argue with facts.

We've just had a horrendous run of decisions in signing players. Started with EWB continued with Findlay. We're now starting to shed those contracts and hopefully we'll see a better standard coming through. 

Yup.  I doubt Arbroath did a Gretna but they still managed to put together a solid side which comfortably won the league.

58 minutes ago, Pesadilla said:

Another season of its not the managers players ,

5 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Another season of its not the managers players ,

What are you on about? 

Last season was clearly not the managers team, this season he'll have more of a chance to put his own brand of football on the park. By all means if we're not in the playoff spots come Christmas, call for his head, but until then give it a rest FFS. You clearly don't like Murray and that's fine, but at least give him a fucking chance with his own team on the park.

23 minutes ago, stuartcraig said:

Yup.  I doubt Arbroath did a Gretna but they still managed to put together a solid side which comfortably won the league.

Airdrie's problem isn't that they signed players from other L1 clubs, it's that the players they signed were injury prone, mediocre, or both. East Fife fans said last summer that Wilkie hadn't played enough games and that Page had suffered a pretty significant drop in form from the previous season.

Airdrie are solidly a L1 club these days. Without some kind of cash injection, it's laughable to imagine they're going to go out and sign a handful of guys who could get regular games at Championship clubs.

7 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Airdrie's problem isn't that they signed players from other L1 clubs, it's that the players they signed were injury prone, mediocre, or both. East Fife fans said last summer that Wilkie hadn't played enough games and that Page had suffered a pretty significant drop in form from the previous season.

Airdrie are solidly a L1 club these days. Without some kind of cash injection, it's laughable to imagine they're going to go out and sign a handful of guys who could get regular games at Championship clubs.

I don't think Arbroath would be paying massive wages, and that's the point. This season was a very poor league and despite having a "solidly L1" squad, Arbroath cantered it. Given we're based in the Central belt and *should* be able to attract a broadly similar standard of player to Arbroath for similar cash, I don't see why we'd not be aiming to get promoted.

You're argument only stands if we attempted to stay up with the same squad that got us there. If Arbroath do that,  they'll be back here very soon.

Where I do agree, is that our recruitment has been very, very poor. If we'd been chasing Page as was mooted, then our scouting was utterly atrocious.

2 minutes ago, Pesadilla said:

I don't think Arbroath would be paying massive wages, and that's the point. This season was a very poor league and despite having a "solidly L1" squad, Arbroath cantered it. Given we're based in the Central belt and *should* be able to attract a broadly similar standard of player to Arbroath for similar cash, I don't see why we'd not be aiming to get promoted.

You're argument only stands if we attempted to stay up with the same squad that got us there. If Arbroath do that,  they'll be back here very soon.

Where I do agree, is that our recruitment has been very, very poor. If we'd been chasing Page as was mooted, then our scouting was utterly atrocious.

Sorry, I was agreeing with. Just made it look like I wasn't because I quoted you.

2 hours ago, Pesadilla said:

What are you on about? 

Last season was clearly not the managers team, this season he'll have more of a chance to put his own brand of football on the park. By all means if we're not in the playoff spots come Christmas, call for his head, but until then give it a rest FFS. You clearly don't like Murray and that's fine, but at least give him a fucking chance with his own team on the park.

Never done anything of note yet anyway ,time will tell.

Being told to give manager a chance, I have been giving airdrie managers a chance since ,Willie Steel , Murray will get the same chance as the other 50  or so managers that have come and gone since I started following Airdrie,

1 hour ago, Jack Reed said:

Being told to give manager a chance, I have been giving airdrie managers a chance since ,Willie Steel , Murray will get the same chance as the other 50  or so managers that have come and gone since I started following Airdrie,

Were you in the same class as Doris Day?