The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

2 hours ago, stuartcraig said:

The subject of the argument is relatively unimportant but what it signifies is less trivial if left unresolved.

At best, it highlights a fundamental breakdown in the relationship between two parties who, through working together, can create a lot of benefit for the club and the community.

At worst, it's indicative of the club's attitude towards supporters who want the club to have a community focus, and its willingness to isolate them. 

Without suggesting that is what has happened here, I find it easy to believe that a small business owner would seek to punish a group or individuals who has put their nose out of joint.  It happens all the time in the real word and is hardly "tinfoil hat" territory.

As for the alternative hypotheses you suggest, yeah they're possible but no-one has bothered to explain the decision in these terms.

However let's say, for the sake of argument, that your guess is correct.  If so, it seems as if this whole rammy could have been avoided just with better communication between all of the parties involved.

While it's clear there has been some sort of falling out or breakdown in communication, I just don't believe that: 

A) This is indicative of it 

B) This is the hill to die on

I actually think this really is tinfoil hat stuff. I was online the day both football camps were announced and I would genuinely have never made the connection between the two until people were up in arms about it online. 

PH is a businessman and it's well established he doesn't like to lose money. I find it highly unlikely he'd be willing to lose money from a regular and reliable customer just on the off chance that another football camp business might pop up. If I'm wrong I'm wrong but until somebody provides concrete evidence otherwise then that's what I'll believe. 

I'd much rather both parties put some effort into getting trust/fan representation on the board again than publically squabbling about football camps. 

Anyway, I do hope there is a reconciliation and both the Trust and the club can get on with proudly representing Airdrie. 

4 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Agreed. Obviously, we as fans and the Trust as an organised entity of fans need to hold the club to account. But arguing over kids football camps is so trivial and pointless. I don't for one minute believe the stadium company deliberately prevented the Trust from using the stadium for their camps or deliberately made the effort to seek out an independent football camp organisation to use the stadium instead just to 'get back' at the Trust. Maybe Empire booked the stadium before the Trust did? Maybe their deal was better economically? At the end of the day, there's going to be more kids playing football over the holidays. Good. I think there are much more important things we could be using our energy to fight about either now or in the future. 

At this moment in time, I really don't have a reason to have a major grudge against the club and/or the board. They've put out a good statement about their plans for next season (which we asked for and was needed) and things certainly seem to be afoot in that regard. The tinfoil hat brigade is constantly finding all sorts of things that must mean the club have some sort of agenda against the Trust and the fans. But while I do hope that fences can be mended if the board back Millar and Murray as they seem to be willing to do at the moment and we successfully go up a level then I'll certainly be the happiest I've been supporting Airdrie in a long long time.

I don't think for one minute this is just about kids football coaching or a mix up with dates. No one can be that naive. 

2 hours ago, Diamond8 said:

Meanwhile Holemasters have just backed the club in a record breaking sponsorship deal... thought we were pushing sponsors away?

This is excellent news. Usual conspiracy theorists out on Facebook though...

20 minutes ago, Nipper said:

I don't think for one minute this is just about kids football coaching or a mix up with dates. No one can be that naive. 

Yes, I'm sure there's a conspiracy going on against the Trust manifesting itself in kids football coaching. Or more likely is that there IS a breakdown in communications between the trust and the club/stadium and the football camp stuff is an irrelevant sideshow. 

Yes, I'm sure there's a conspiracy going on against the Trust manifesting itself in kids football coaching. Or more likely is that there IS a breakdown in communications between the trust and the club/stadium and the football camp stuff is an irrelevant sideshow. 
Just had a wee read there, it's getting fucking tedious and embarrassing now. I seen a post somewhere, might be here or it might not, about Dundee making a statement about plans for next season and it was along the lines of it's great to see communication from a club. Clearly a dig at our club who in the weeks previous had outlined a hybrid set up for next season and had a great and informative article published to the nation about where its went wrong before and how we can change that for next season. Its beggars belief with this section of airdrie support. The question has to be asked eventually, is it the trust or the football club they support?

Do you think Walter Spiers, Stuart Shields and Gavin Spiers amongst others walked away because of football camps? And that had nothing to do with the Trust so does that not make you think?

The sponsorship deal is great, kudos to the club for that. I’d like to know if it’s sufficient to run the new model the clubs putting in place because from memory the announcement didn’t outline that. You’ve stated Paul Hetherington doesn’t like to lose money, I presume you’re right. However how is he not going to do that based on full time football on gates on 650/700. I don’t think the sums add up (we’ve lost a fortune this season pt I’d guess btw). Especially when he’s chased away consortium members who were assisting with funding. And what happens if we don’t go straight up? So lots of questions to be answered away from football camps. The Wotherspoon era tells us we should be asking them, whether that’s the Trust or everyone in general. Not tinfoil hat stuff, just observational.

l’m the same - fed up with all this shite and just want to support the team but pushing the Trust away and the other resignations is strange. You’ve picked a side, that’s fine, I’d like to hear both sides of the argument without just assuming based on little knowledge.

While it's clear there has been some sort of falling out or breakdown in communication, I just don't believe that: 
A) This is indicative of it 
B) This is the hill to die on
I actually think this really is tinfoil hat stuff. I was online the day both football camps were announced and I would genuinely have never made the connection between the two until people were up in arms about it online. 
PH is a businessman and it's well established he doesn't like to lose money. I find it highly unlikely he'd be willing to lose money from a regular and reliable customer just on the off chance that another football camp business might pop up. If I'm wrong I'm wrong but until somebody provides concrete evidence otherwise then that's what I'll believe. 
I'd much rather both parties put some effort into getting trust/fan representation on the board again than publically squabbling about football camps. 
Anyway, I do hope there is a reconciliation and both the Trust and the club can get on with proudly representing Airdrie. 

Summed it for me in point b

See when you forget your significant other’s birthday and they give you the cold shoulder for a week, do you write it off as a conspiracy or do you guess they’re in the huff and figure out that’s why you’re on starvation rations?

The question has to be asked eventually, is it the trust or the football club they support?

My loyalty, ranked in order of importance:

1st - The Club
2nd - My fellow supporters
3rd - The players and manager
4th - The board.

42 minutes ago, Airdrie Minded said:

Do you think Walter Spiers, Stuart Shields and Gavin Spiers amongst others walked away because of football camps? And that had nothing to do with the Trust so does that not make you think?

the sponsorship deal is great, kudos to the club for that. I’d like to know if it’s sufficient to run the new model the clubs putting in place because from memory the announcement didn’t outline that. You’ve stated Paul HetherinThe sponsgton doesn’t like to lose money, I presume you’re right. However how is he not going to do that based on full time football on gates on 650/700. I don’t think the sums add up (we’ve lost a fortune this season pt I’d guess btw). Especially when he’s chased away consortium members who were assisting with funding. And what happens if we don’t go straight up? So lots of questions to be answered away from football camps. The Wotherspoon era tells us we should be asking them, whether that’s the Trust or everyone in general. Not tinfoil hat stuff, just observational.

l’m the same - fed up with all this shite and just want to support the team but pushing the Trust away and the other resignations is strange. You’ve picked a side, that’s fine, I’d like to hear both sides of the argument without just assuming based on little knowledge.

These are all much more pertinent questions and ones that quite rightly need to be asked. The Trust has some great people involved and they do fantastic work for the club, town and community. If they are going to go to the press or speak out against the club I'd much rather it was on the issues that Stuart Shields or Willie Marshall brought up in their resignations or questioning how the hybrid model will be funded/the sustainability of it rather than the trivial line they seem to be going down at the moment. 

When Jim Ballantyne rescued the club all those years ago and stated that he was not prepared to overextend the clubs budget,  I was quite happy to go along with that, even if that meant playing in the lower echelons of Scottish football and I am still happy to support the team, in whatever league we might play in, even if we end up playing our games at Rawyards or Craigneuk park.

So let's hear it for the "Happy Clapper" comments 

Here’s my take of the key points. There was other stuff talked about.

Key points:

1. PH actively engaged Trust prior to take over. Trust played a key part in helping put pressure on Wetherspoon. PH worked with Trust and DFC to engineer the takeover.

2. The Trust are due an additional £10k worth of shares and the club appear to have reneged on that deal (this is in addition to the original £10k of shares that was bought by the Trust). Money was passed to the club but no shares were passed over. There is documented evidence (email trail) of the agreement to sell to the Trust.

3. The Trust buying Colin Elliot’s shares appears to tie in with a further souring of the relationship. However this wouldn’t have impacted the overall “power” or control

4. PH bought the Ballantyne shares without advising other shareholders (this was told to me)

5. Trust view is that the community work they undertake helps raise the brand, helps breed new supporters and generates a source of income for the club

6. Trust donated £142k to the club since 2002. FFIT club for instance raised £8k approx recently - this goes straight to club. Not sure this is a Trust hatchet job?

7. Trust will continue to focus on community. Want to do that working with the club.

8. The Trust ARE co-owners. They own shares. They’ve put £20k in.

9. Trust don’t understand why the conflict exists. Want to resolve it

10. The Board members left are allies of PH. No one else appears to be left.

11. Trust were told not to use club crest to advertise camps by the club.

12. Trust have continued activities as normal in support of club (lottery, FFIT etc).

13. The Advertiser approached the Trust for comment about the football camps. The Trust did not contact them. 2 separate camps being advertised led them to ask the question.

14. Walter Spiers advised they (him, Gavin, Stuart Shields and Bobby Watson) walked away as their main driver was the club, supporters and community. Priority of those left is now money. He sees the key for them is funding the stadium. The club is just a vehicle to allow this to happen.

15. The Trust speaker stated they would not be advocating a boycott.

I also heard a rumour amongst those that were there that not all original consortium members put money in as planned. What happened was PH covered their share (so, for the guys on his side) effectively leaving him as the man in control. The original vision of everyone putting the same amount of money in and having equal say didn’t happen as he put more money in than others - don’t know if by design or he was let down. The consortium ‘vision’ was therefore that, just a vision, a concept. And although we all bought into it, it never existed. I’ve not tracked it through on companies house but it’s another company holding shares in the club of which PH is 100% shareholder in? Something like that. Maybe rubbish. Diamond Dave can likely help.

It would be good to hear from the club now. The Trust have stated they want communication. We should want an update.

I was part of the Trust. I've a number of friends still involved, so I'm not taking sides but think a bit of balance in argument is needed. I can see some of the points where the Club / Stadium company are coming from. 

The Trusts aim is to support and promote the club.  There has always been an element of helping charities where we could. But over the last couple of years there has been a big swing to the charity side. I'm not going to name the individual charities as their names shouldn't be brought into this but the list keeps growing and growing. Don't get me wrong these are some great causes. But the burden of most of the Trust activities fall on the Stadium Company / Football Club. I get that the Club get goodwill from helping but at the end of the day the Stadium and Football Club are a businesses and they need some financial gain to survive and grow. 

Also I think people need to take into account. Unlike our previous board, the directors we have now are from the town, as are obviously the Trust. When people bad mouth folk whether through Chinese whispers, gossips or grasses  it has a way of getting back to the other side. 

I don't believe the majority of the people involved in the Trust or Club want a war. The bad blood and antics aren't going to do anyone any good.  People don't need to like one another but do need to find a way to work together. If anyone can't they maybe need to think about removing themselves from the equation. 

With regards to the charity involvement, I’m sure the club doesn’t suffer financially from it. Sat on way home and working it through as nothing else to do, the Trust paid the club 10k in 2016 I think and Maggies, St. Andrews and Trust benefitted. The year after, Holemasters paid for Maggies and the hospice to benefit (again I think, feel free to correct me). This year, was it not reported a local benefactor paid a five figure sum for 3 charities to benefit? There’s other donations etc in there too right enough. But surely the club and stadium has benefitted from these associations (based on payments and the events) - not lost money. And the whole charity thing has also seen the profile of the club raised massively. How do you place value on that?

Do all board members live in the town btw? Don’t think PH does

I live outside and away from Airdrie now for many years and have been looking on with interest over the last few months.  Before anyone slates the new poster,  I am only now registering as I can see some issues and think perhaps there are some easy answers.  Also feel we should all pull together and not argue over trivia

it seems to me that there are various issues at the moment but here are some basic questions from a distance 

1. Consortium advertised 10 Airdrie minded business men with equal share.  Where were they?  And if everyone is so anti the stadium owners then was it not obvious that if they put the most money in they would be in control?  Does this mean that some of the 10 pulled out or some people didn’t stump up enough cash, thus leaving a shortfall that stadium put in to increase share???

2. People talking about sponsorship being lost.  See that Holemasters have just reinvested for more money and taken more, which must mean more cash injection.  The away strip was done on a raffle so income never guaranteed and better in my opinion to get someone to pay for it outright.  What sponsors are we going to lose??  Like any club the main strip sponsorship is the important one and that is now sorted?

3. To me it seems there is a very different discussion to be had about supporters and the trust.  Seems people talk about the trust being the supporters.  Are most supporters in the trust?  How many members do they have?  Also how many people turned up tonight?  I don’t see them hand in hand and therefore would wonder what numbers of the fans would not go back.  For me results matter, if the team are winning then people will go.

4. On the trust raising money, what do they do to raise money for the club?  I get the money put in for shares as this goes to the club but most of what I see over recent times is money being generated for outside charities.  Do they still pay for youth players?  Is the kit aid money still put in(although that just paid for tickets handed out so no direct money to club(PR yes).  I know in the previous years money has been given directly to JB to balance the books but we are not there now and the current arguments are with the new owners so what happened in the past is past!!

5. Commercial manager issues.  There seems to have been silence on this.  What was the role when the new owners came in and was the job done well?  Saw many times where social media was advertising match sponsorship available.  Is this not something the commercial manager should have sold?  Main sponsorship was already agreed, away strip was by raffle, so nothing there.  I did see club partners that had discounts for season ticket holders.  How much does that generate, will they not renew?  I know there was merchandising money, did that go

to the club or the trust?

Not trying to be controversial just making some basics observations and asking many questions!!!!

going to read notes from tonight and see if there are any answers or more questions!!

2 hours ago, Airdrie Minded said:

Here’s my take of the key points. There was other stuff talked about.

Key points:

1. PH actively engaged Trust prior to take over. Trust played a key part in helping put pressure on Wetherspoon. PH worked with Trust and DFC to engineer the takeover.

2. The Trust are due an additional £10k worth of shares and the club appear to have reneged on that deal (this is in addition to the original £10k of shares that was bought by the Trust). Money was passed to the club but no shares were passed over. There is documented evidence (email trail) of the agreement to sell to the Trust.

3. The Trust buying Colin Elliot’s shares appears to tie in with a further souring of the relationship. However this wouldn’t have impacted the overall “power” or control

4. PH bought the Ballantyne shares without advising other shareholders (this was told to me)

5. Trust view is that the community work they undertake helps raise the brand, helps breed new supporters and generates a source of income for the club

6. Trust donated £142k to the club since 2002. FFIT club for instance raised £8k approx recently - this goes straight to club. Not sure this is a Trust hatchet job?

7. Trust will continue to focus on community. Want to do that working with the club.

8. The Trust ARE co-owners. They own shares. They’ve put £20k in.

9. Trust don’t understand why the conflict exists. Want to resolve it

10. The Board members left are allies of PH. No one else appears to be left.

11. Trust were told not to use club crest to advertise camps by the club.

12. Trust have continued activities as normal in support of club (lottery, FFIT etc).

13. The Advertiser approached the Trust for comment about the football camps. The Trust did not contact them. 2 separate camps being advertised led them to ask the question.

14. Walter Spiers advised they (him, Gavin, Stuart Shields and Bobby Watson) walked away as their main driver was the club, supporters and community. Priority of those left is now money. He sees the key for them is funding the stadium. The club is just a vehicle to allow this to happen.

15. The Trust speaker stated they would not be advocating a boycott.

I also heard a rumour amongst those that were there that not all original consortium members put money in as planned. What happened was PH covered their share (so, for the guys on his side) effectively leaving him as the man in control. The original vision of everyone putting the same amount of money in and having equal say didn’t happen as he put more money in than others - don’t know if by design or he was let down. The consortium ‘vision’ was therefore that, just a vision, a concept. And although we all bought into it, it never existed. I’ve not tracked it through on companies house but it’s another company holding shares in the club of which PH is 100% shareholder in? Something like that. Maybe rubbish. Diamond Dave can likely help.

It would be good to hear from the club now. The Trust have stated they want communication. We should want an update.

My thoughts

Thought the  trust has put in 20k. Above says 10k.  Was it over two instalments, did they pay on time?

Was Colin Elliot always going to keep his shares or was he going to sell them anyway?

surely PH couldn’t buy JB shares in secret??  Thought I remember a post that legally the consortium had to offer to buy all shareholders out due to number TW had??

Did Bobby Watson not walk away due to health?  Is there not a picture of him on social media making a presentation on Saturday???  Doesn’t seem to have walked away in disgust to me

surely if the model was for 10 equal shares it was not hard to do this unless some people didn’t do as they said.  Even if PH put more money up for others would this not have been obvious from the outset??  Surely obvious that his brother would back him and give him 2 votes straight away!!

I live outside and away from Airdrie now for many years and have been looking on with interest over the last few months.  Before anyone slates the new poster,  I am only now registering as I can see some issues and think perhaps there are some easy answers.  Also feel we should all pull together and not argue over trivia
it seems to me that there are various issues at the moment but here are some basic questions from a distance 

1. Consortium advertised 10 Airdrie minded business men with equal share.  Where were they?  And if everyone is so anti the stadium owners then was it not obvious that if they put the most money in they would be in control?  Does this mean that some of the 10 pulled out or some people didn’t stump up enough cash, thus leaving a shortfall that stadium put in to increase share???
2. People talking about sponsorship being lost.  See that Holemasters have just reinvested for more money and taken more, which must mean more cash injection.  The away strip was done on a raffle so income never guaranteed and better in my opinion to get someone to pay for it outright.  What sponsors are we going to lose??  Like any club the main strip sponsorship is the important one and that is now sorted?

3. To me it seems there is a very different discussion to be had about supporters and the trust.  Seems people talk about the trust being the supporters.  Are most supporters in the trust?  How many members do they have?  Also how many people turned up tonight?  I don’t see them hand in hand and therefore would wonder what numbers of the fans would not go back.  For me results matter, if the team are winning then people will go.

4. On the trust raising money, what do they do to raise money for the club?  I get the money put in for shares as this goes to the club but most of what I see over recent times is money being generated for outside charities.  Do they still pay for youth players?  Is the kit aid money still put in(although that just paid for tickets handed out so no direct money to club(PR yes).  I know in the previous years money has been given directly to JB to balance the books but we are not there now and the current arguments are with the new owners so what happened in the past is past!!

5. Commercial manager issues.  There seems to have been silence on this.  What was the role when the new owners came in and was the job done well?  Saw many times where social media was advertising match sponsorship available.  Is this not something the commercial manager should have sold?  Main sponsorship was already agreed, away strip was by raffle, so nothing there.  I did see club partners that had discounts for season ticket holders.  How much does that generate, will they not renew?  I know there was merchandising money, did that go

Not trying to be controversial just making some basics observations and asking many questions!!!!

going to read notes from tonight and see if there are any answers or more questions!!

Is this aimed at me?? Must be as I think I’m the only one that’s summarised today’s meeting anywhere. First time poster with an agenda it seems (I say that as my main take away from tonight was why won’t the club get round the table with the Trust - you’ve landed firmly on the clubs side without being there!?) I’ll answer though where I can.
1. No one is anti stadium owners as such. Who said that? The idea was 10 people putting same money in for equal share. That didn’t happen for whatever reason is what I was told. Perhaps the club could explain the make up of the board and who actually owns the shares. There doesn’t seem to have been a plan for certain individuals to put more in. That was the outcome though it if the chat was right tonight. There’s a story here I can’t answer basically but I’m keen to understand what the reality is. Did PH put money in for others and did he always intend to do that so he got more control? Or is that all just crap!
2. I said well done to the club. I see this as a good thing. If I was being inquisitive I would ask what is the Holemaster money for the new deal versus the Holemaster money + away shirt raffle for last year. That gives you if it’s a better deal (not trying to be a dick here but that’s a basic question to ask rather than just accepting “record deals” - the club can clarify that). Income wasn’t guaranteed you’re right, but the actual figure is known (to the club) so not sure your point
3. No idea how many went, didn’t count. Decent turn out I’d say though. The Trust aren’t the supporters, completely agree. They are a Trust made up of supporters. I don’t think they promote themselves as anything different. Agree with team wins people go. Concern is team don’t win, people don’t go. Tough league next year and gates aren’t great for launching full time football. Again basic stuff - Wotherspoon lost interest and we nearly went to the wall. Could happen with this lot. Btw no mention of that tonight, but I just worry about that.
4. £150k, something like that, was figure given re Trust payment to club. Given current circumstances not sure how much other cash will be handed over at the moment! FFIT club mentioned as having brought in £8k in past few months? Decent. Key here would be Trust and club working together to utilise stadium. Host an event, bring people to stadium, spend money. I thought the Trust thing or real value comes in promoting the club. Also £10k kit aid I guess?
5. What has the commercial manager got to do with the Trust meeting? Why should we be talking about it? This reeks of agenda at this point, maybe I’m not in the know here as details weren’t publicised but it didn’t seem to end well. And I’m not in that line of work but jesus mate, selling out Airdrie, seats/hospitality/advertising boards is an impossible task I’d imagine given the absolute shite on the park! How do you get folk to watch that garbage! No idea of numbers, sales v previous years, or role of who did what in terms of getting sponsors etc. That will give you your answers. Holemasters were there prior to the takeover so who knows (so was Commercial manager but? And Ballantyne? So... dunno ) no idea re club partners, again ask the club I guess. Merchandise money went to the club I think. Mention made it was gifted and included within their accounts?

My thoughts

Thought the  trust has put in 20k. Above says 10k.  Was it over two instalments, did they pay on time?

Was Colin Elliot always going to keep his shares or was he going to sell them anyway?

surely PH couldn’t buy JB shares in secret??  Thought I remember a post that legally the consortium had to offer to buy all shareholders out due to number TW had??

Did Bobby Watson not walk away due to health?  Is there not a picture of him on social media making a presentation on Saturday???  Doesn’t seem to have walked away in disgust to me

surely if the model was for 10 equal shares it was not hard to do this unless some people didn’t do as they said.  Even if PH put more money up for others would this not have been obvious from the outset??  Surely obvious that his brother would back him and give him 2 votes straight away!!

You already posted your thoughts??? I’ve just replied!? Are these new thoughts?? Did you mean to post under a different account maybe?? I need my bed and I’m not the person to be answering this as I don’t know the answers!

Maybe it was £20k and it’s my error (don’t mean to mislead anyone, playing back what I remember). There were two payments though for two transactions. Share certificate given for one and not the other.

No idea re Colin Elliot but suggestion tonight was it was a short term thing and this was always clear. Ask him! Do you know him?

Why not re Ballantine shares? Why could he not approach Ballantyne and buy them? I honestly don’t know. If JB wanted to sell and he wanted to buy then...?

No idea re Bobby Watson. He’s gone but and the ill health was never confirmed. I heard Ian McMillan isn’t in the boardroom anymore. Is that true? Mentioned to me at weekend.

Agree re his brother but with a consortium of 10 why would that be an issue. It seems it’s all his allies left and everyone else has gone though. Youd need to ask those involved how it went down. PH owns the shares under of a seperate company and that company owns the majority shareholding in l the club. No one clocked it? Trusted him at face value? Ask them.

2 hours ago, Diamond Outsider said:

Diamond Dave by any chance ? I honestly don't think you'd be interested in anything the trust  committee or members have to say.