The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

1 hour ago, 2lgm said:

Was that not the plan this season? I believed we were cherry picking from the rest of the league. Hasn’t turned out too well. No harm in trying something different as long as finances allow. Probably hooked me in for a season ticket renewal when I was considering giving it a bye next season.

Ach, I'm new to supporting Airdrieonians, so I'm merely speculating. 

Intuitively it would make sense that the best part-time players will be better than the worst full-time players. 

You may have very good footballers who have turned down professional contracts as they make more money in their other vocation. You could argue semi-professionals lack fitness, and that maybe true if they do a sedentary job, but not say for a fitness instructor. 

Ach, I'm looking forward to next season regardless. But then I've not put up with the shite most Airdrie fans have. It could be an interesting league next year, especially if the likes of Partick and Falkirk come down. 

Ach, I'm new to supporting Airdrieonians, so I'm merely speculating. 

Intuitively it would make sense that the best part-time players will be better than the worst full-time players. 

You may have very good footballers who have turned down professional contracts as they make more money in their other vocation. You could argue semi-professionals lack fitness, and that maybe true if they do a sedentary job, but not say for a fitness instructor. 

Ach, I'm looking forward to next season regardless. But then I've not put up with the shite most Airdrie fans have. It could be an interesting league next year, especially if the likes of Partick and Falkirk come down. 

Would’ve been nice to relegate thistle via the play off, can but dream. Here’s hoping next season is more enjoyable than this that’s what keeps us going I suppose.

31 minutes ago, 2lgm said:

Would’ve been nice to relegate thistle via the play off, can but dream. Here’s hoping next season is more enjoyable than this that’s what keeps us going I suppose.

I know a few Thistle fans, so good banter. :thumsup2

Out of interest, does anyone care either way about Albion Rovers' fate? Only just noticed they were embroiled in a relegation battle. 

I actually considered watching them next season, but after their Scottish Cup game against Rangers, it transpired that their support that day were essentially Celtic fans. Then to confirm my suspicions a half/half scarf was produced when they played Celtic. It would still be a shame to see them drop out of the league - as I doubt they'd ever come back up - but would East Kilbride have more to offer? Is there really an Airdrie/Albion rivalry? I know ostensibly there is, but it doesn't seem real given the relative size of the clubs. 

Edited by G_&_T

9 minutes ago, G_&_T said:

Out of interest, does anyone care either way about Albion Rovers' fate? Only just noticed they were embroiled in a relegation battle. 

I actually considered watching them next season, but after their Scottish Cup game against Rangers, it transpired that their support that day were essentially Celtic fans. Then to confirm my suspicions a half/half scarf was produced when they played Celtic. It would still be a shame to see them drop out of the league - as I doubt they'd ever come back up - but would East Kilbride have more to offer? Is there really an Airdrie/Albion rivalry? I know ostensibly there is, but it doesn't seem real given the relative size of the clubs. 

Yes. Would hate to see them get relegated out of the league. Really enjoyed the derbies against them especially at Cliftonhill where we’ve won about 90% of the games there. 

I’m sure there are Celtic fans with a soft spot for the Rovers and given how many times we’ve all heard the **** without bus tickets line, I don’t think it’s fair to suggest those that go along regularly are anything other than Rovers fans.

It shouldn’t be a rivalry.... our traditional rival was obviously Motherwell, but having established ourselves as a League 1 club it’s all we’ve had as a derby recently. One of the best periods in their history combined with one of the worst in ours to ensure it was more even than we would have liked. Including an utter humiliation at Cliftonhill.

They won’t go finish last this year, Berwick will. Teams like East Kilbride, Spartans and Cove will offer a lot more to the league than some of the traditional teams. They are very ambitious and well funded. If Berwick go down I can’t see any return for them save an investor coming on board.

That’s probably healthy for the lower leagues but it’s sad to lose traditional league members.

I’m sure there are Celtic fans with a soft spot for the Rovers and given how many times we’ve all heard the **** without bus tickets line, I don’t think it’s fair to suggest those that go along regularly are anything other than Rovers fans.

It shouldn’t be a rivalry.... our traditional rival was obviously Motherwell, but having established ourselves as a League 1 club it’s all we’ve had as a derby recently. One of the best periods in their history combined with one of the worst in ours to ensure it was more even than we would have liked. Including an utter humiliation at Cliftonhill.

They won’t go finish last this year, Berwick will. Teams like East Kilbride, Spartans and Cove will offer a lot more to the league than some of the traditional teams. They are very ambitious and well funded. If Berwick go down I can’t see any return for them save an investor coming on board.

That’s probably healthy for the lower leagues but it’s sad to lose traditional league members.

15 minutes ago, CapitalDiamond said:

Aye, the National League down south has meant lots of old, established English Football League clubs are now playing non-league football. Stockport, Hereford and Chester all play in the seventh tier of English football now. So, a pyramid structure will always do that. 

I have just been reading about Cove Rangers. They and East Kilbride look like very good sides, and I genuinely think whoever finishes bottom will be lucky to retain their senior status. Berwick are English anyway...

Aye, the National League down south has meant lots of old, established English Football League clubs are now playing non-league football. Stockport, Hereford and Chester all play in the seventh tier of English football now. So, a pyramid structure will always do that. 
I have just been reading about Cove Rangers. They and East Kilbride look like very good sides, and I genuinely think whoever finishes bottom will be lucky to retain their senior status. Berwick are English anyway...

We know all about Cove Rangers.

Wouldn’t like to see them relegated. The atmosphere in the derbies (more so at Cliftonhill) was enjoyable in recent years. My uncle was goalkeeper for them in the early 60’s. Always a soft spot as long as not our opponents.

1 minute ago, stuartcraig said:

We know all about Cove Rangers.

I remembered that, but didn't realise their goals came so late! A sore yin. 

I can't believe how much more interesting lower league football is. Of course Rangers only struggled in the Championship, so never really thpught much about the leagues. The East Kilbride v Cove game looks tasty. Plus there's Albion Rover's destiny, the sides promoted and relegated. It's so myopic being an OF supporter - anything other than winning the league is ultimately a failure. That waiting list might be one of the best things that happened to me, in footballing terms.

In fairness, Arbroath is a bit closer to Dundee than Airdrie is.

A lot of people I work with who support united would find it quicker driving to, parking and getting into Gayfield than they would going to Tannadice. If you're on the East side of Dundee you could be inside Gayfield within 20 minutes.. Ferry/Monifieth and Carnoustie 10-15. Fully expect around 2-2.5k away fans between each of the Dundee clubs visits. Great train day too.

£££

ETA: if the Dundee clubs are in the league of course. [emoji12]

I remembered that, but didn't realise their goals came so late! A sore yin. 

I can't believe how much more interesting lower league football is. Of course Rangers only struggled in the Championship, so never really thpught much about the leagues. The East Kilbride v Cove game looks tasty. Plus there's Albion Rover's destiny, the sides promoted and relegated. It's so myopic being an OF supporter - anything other than winning the league is ultimately a failure. That waiting list might be one of the best things that happened to me, in footballing terms.

Myopic is a good word to describe it.

There are quite a few Celtic fans on my twitter feed, and I’m constantly having the arse bored off me with their obsession with winning some “Best Supporters in the World” poll or being in the European top 10 for average crowd-w**k etc. Totally pointless shit that no one else cares about.

I have no idea whether they’re aware of this bubble (maybe if there was a “best football bubble in the world” competition, they would start to notice).

I’d love to say that Rangers fans are as bad but there are none on my Twitter feed and I don’t go anywhere near to Old Firm threads up in the Elite P&B forum, so I can’t comment directly.

Hutton- keep
Robbo- maybe
O'Neil- keep
Crichton- punt
Page- punt
Macdonald- maybe
Edwards- punt
Hawkshaw- punt
Campbell- loan (maybe)
Millar- keep
Conroy- punt
Duffy- punt
McInstosh- punt
Stewart- maybe
Wilkie- keep
Glass- loan (punt)
Cairns- punt
S McIntosh- punt

46 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:

Hutton- keep
Robbo- maybe
O'Neil- keep
Crichton- punt
Page- punt
Macdonald- maybe
Edwards- punt
Hawkshaw- punt
Campbell- loan (maybe)
Millar- keep
Conroy- punt
Duffy- punt
McInstosh- punt
Stewart- maybe
Wilkie- keep
Glass- loan (punt)
Cairns- punt
S McIntosh- punt

You forgot Carrick  maybe keep ????

Carrick for me is one of the major disappointments of the season but hopefully he will benefit from better players around him next season.

He was brought in to create and score goals, he has done neither in my opinion but certainly worth persisting with.

For me it is quite simple next season - try and build a side that have goals in them and a bit of physicality. look at Montrose this season, nothing special but well drilled, physical and usually score when on top....not too much to ask I hope.

Hutton- keep
Robbo- maybe
O'Neil- keep
Crichton- punt
Page- punt
Macdonald- maybe
Edwards- punt
Hawkshaw- punt
Campbell- loan (maybe)
Millar- keep
Conroy- punt
Duffy- punt
McInstosh- punt
Stewart- maybe
Wilkie- keep
Glass- loan (punt)
Cairns- punt
S McIntosh- punt

I agree with you except for Miller who I would punt the invisible man.