The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

4 hours ago, Rio 2 said:

Watched the fly on the wall segment on the BBC Scotland football show, Airdrie v Forfar and wasn't to impressed with the team talk, not very inspiring, even although we won the game!

Like wise.

10 hours ago, Rio 2 said:

Watched the fly on the wall segment on the BBC Scotland football show, Airdrie v Forfar and wasn't to impressed with the team talk, not very inspiring, even although we won the game!

I agree the manager's comms skills did not score high marks. He has however taken the defensive side of the our game to a higher level and whilst 2 swallows doesn't make a feast, 3 goals away yesterday is encouraging for all.

The play off spot is now back in our own hands and with the next 3 games being crucial he looks to have big mo on side.

Cracking result yesterday. Nice to win with a bit to spare too for a change. Bizarre that the promotion play-offs are within reach but I'm still not confident of anything other than a mid-table finish. Win on Tuesday night, however... Would continue to play that team going forward although once Carrick is back fit I'd have him and Hawkshaw on the bench over Glass and Houston. Although I'm sure it will be part of their deal that they have to at least be on the bench. 

As for the manager's communication skills aye he's maybe not Captain Charisma but thought he got his message across well enough and comes across as quiet and methodical. I'd rather he communicated effectively than be a ranter & raver type. The footage is probably edited too so we don't get to see the whole team talk or how the manager communicates with his players one-to-one or collectively about tactics, specific parts of the game plan etc. 

It depends who you are comparing it to.

Remember when Will Carling was England rugby captain, they used to show his “inspirational” team talks before the game?

Murray’s was no worse.

Stuart Millar is easily the worst Clyde manager we've had in the last 20 years and that includes the like of John Brown and Barry Ferguson.

The squad he assembled was horrific and finished rock bottom of league 2. Highlights include losing 7-1 to Montrose and not winning a game for over 4 months.

Good luck with that appointment think you will need it.

Stuart Millar is easily the worst Clyde manager we've had in the last 20 years and that includes the like of John Brown and Barry Ferguson.

The squad he assembled was horrific and finished rock bottom of league 2. Highlights include losing 7-1 to Montrose and not winning a game for over 4 months.

Good luck with that appointment think you will need it.

He’s not our manager.

People also behave differently when they know they're being filmed.  

I was underawed but if you watch the Man City documentary on Amazon Pep Guardiola is exactly the same. You say about 3 minutes from pre match and half time and it can’t be pleasant being filmed for these guys.

44 minutes ago, Jack Burton said:
57 minutes ago, AFC1878 said:

He’s not our manager.

Yeah, I get that but as director of football he will be identifying players to sign and the squad he put together at Clyde was utter shite.

Was he not your manager when you just got relegated to league 2 and were going through severe financial trouble though?

Got to admit, I've been a bit disappointed in Houston., I expected more, but maybe he needs time at this level. Problem for him is that he is up against Stewart and potentially Robertson or O'Neil depending on formation so he really had to hit the ground running.

Glass is fine, but Wilkie has been generally very good when fit so he's up against it too.

Delighted with the last 2 wins, I said we needed 3 to definitely avoid the relegation play offs so reckon we will be ok as we'll win another before all is said and done.

Question is, do we have the mentality to kick on and get in to the promotion play offs? Tomorrow night will tell us a lot. We know that if we win we have East Fife on Saturday and the chance to get in to the top 4 will be in our own hands. Got to be seen as a motivating factor rather than having them crumbling under the pressure.

A big chance for an under delivering squad to prove something.

I'm sure Glass and Houston are trying their best, and that in time they could develop into good players, but at the moment they're not good enough to start in our first team. Given that we were (are) in a relegation scrap and, could end up in a promotion play-off, we don't really have the luxury or the time to help them develop, especially when they're not even our own players. Maybe a bit harsh on Glass as he clearly has some potential but we've been night & day since Wilkie has come back into the team at his expense. Also, if Houston has any ambition of making it at Rangers he'll need to develop a thicker skin so that a couple of folk calling him pish on P&B doesn't bother him. 

Good to see Cammy Russell score a hat-trick on Saturday. It's a much lower level granted but he's clearly benefiting from a run of games at first-team level. Not sure if he'll be able to play in their playoff games (or ours ;) ) but he'd be a loss for them if he can't. 

Edited by airdrieman