The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

1 minute ago, weigh cider said:

Couldn’t make it today. Good result but how did the team play? Any improvement or were we hanging on at the end again by dropping too deep?

Played well, more creativity today and were unlucky not to get a 2nd due to a great save by McCallum. Forfar didn’t really threaten much but you can only beat what’s put out infront of you :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

Played well, more creativity today and were unlucky not to get a 2nd due to a great save by McCallum. Forfar didn’t really threaten much but you can only beat what’s put out infront of you :rolleyes:

And we can also thank Hutton for a super save later on. Had we got a 2 goal lead as you say this would have been one of the few times we never looked like panicking. With Carrick and McDonald out with injuries I thought our back three were good and the wing backs had a real discipline .  Two away games to come but I will miss both. A few weeks ago I would have not bothered but now I need to keep in touch on Internet.

And we can also thank Hutton for a super save later on. Had we got a 2 goal lead as you say this would have been one of the few times we never looked like panicking. With Carrick and McDonald out with injuries I thought our back three were good and the wing backs had a real discipline .  Two away games to come but I will miss both. A few weeks ago I would have not bothered but now I need to keep in touch on Internet.

Davy Son [emoji7]IMG_0757.jpg

Agreed RE only being able to judge Murray once he's built his own team. This summer will be a big one for us. If the board are willing to back Murray in terms of letting him have the clearout he wants while also investing money in signing his own players we could (hopefully) finally be on to a winner. If they don't and are happy to let players' contracts run out and let Murray sign the scraps with the spare change we have left it will just be more of the same rubbish we've had for the last 10+ years. I've no idea how or what way it will go. It would be good to hear from the board, even if it was just a customary "we know this season hasn't been good enough but we'll strive to make sure we're better next season etc" but I doubt even that will be forthcoming. 

For what it's worth though I do genuinely think Murray is doing his best with what he has. There's some amount of hubris and melodrama on that Airdrie Facebook group though btw (though thankfully not tonight because we won). Some people acting like Murray is the worst manager Airdrie's ever had and some people genuinely claiming Murray is no better than Findlay. 

yeah it can go over the top a wee bit on the FB page but to be honest I'm like that during a game. Was incredibly frustrated at wee mistakes/our failure to pull the trigger yesterday and then  just had a dawning realisation that we were playing quite well and should probably enjoy it :lol:

Campbell, O'Neill, Wilkie, were all really good. Miller was decent yesterday too, as I always say I sometimes to struggle to see what he does but he won a few tackles yesterday.

John Baird is still a good player though - his movement was quality. Big Crichton struggled with him I thought. Was delighted when they subbed him.

Hawkshaw looks like he has talent, some good movement and good crosses.

yeah it can go over the top a wee bit on the FB page but to be honest I'm like that during a game. Was incredibly frustrated at wee mistakes/our failure to pull the trigger yesterday and then  just had a dawning realisation that we were playing quite well and should probably enjoy it [emoji38]

Campbell, O'Neill, Wilkie, were all really good. Miller was decent yesterday too, as I always say I sometimes to struggle to see what he does but he won a few tackles yesterday.
John Baird is still a good player though - his movement was quality. Big Crichton struggled with him I thought. Was delighted when they subbed him.

I thought Hawkshaw looked decent when he came on yesterday.
Some really nice touches, always looking to get involved, showed for the ball well and never wasted a pass.
If we get another 3 points on the boars I'd be giving him more game time and bringing the boy Barrowman into the squad to see what he can offer for next year.

3 hours ago, Moon said:

yeah it can go over the top a wee bit on the FB page but to be honest I'm like that during a game. Was incredibly frustrated at wee mistakes/our failure to pull the trigger yesterday and then  just had a dawning realisation that we were playing quite well and should probably enjoy it :lol:

3 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I thought Hawkshaw looked decent when he came on yesterday.
Some really nice touches, always looking to get involved, showed for the ball well and never wasted a pass.
If we get another 3 points on the boars I'd be giving him more game time and bringing the boy Barrowman into the squad to see what he can offer for next year.

Said on the match thread that Campbell's decision making on the ball lets him down at times (but I'm sure that will come with experience) but he's industrious and a hard worker and undoubtedly the best of our loanees. Don't think it was a coincidence we won without the other two loanees in the team. Stewart had a very good game I thought and should certainly keep his place for next week. Wilkie was good too. He's our best midfielder and we're a much better team with him starting. That was definitely one of Millar's best games in a while too. I was a little worried before the game about O'Neil not playing on his natural side but I needn't have worried as he had another solid performance. Thought we were solid at the back in general although still had the fear that we would chuck one in. Duffy was shot shy yesterday, which seemed unusual for him, and I was concerned that would cost us, but he did work hard. As did Conroy who put in a shift and again had one of his better games for a while. 

I was surprised they took Baird off. He was their only real threat during the game and as he's an ex-player it's almost a given that he would have scored. 

I thought Hawkshaw looked decent too. Some nice touches and put in a few decent crosses too (including one pretty good free-kick I think). Definitely looks like he could be a useful player. Next two games are Brechin and Dumbarton. Win them both, or even get 4 points out of 6, and we'll definitely be safe but if we lose them both we'll be right back in the dogfight. Get enough points over those two games and as you say I'd like to see guys like Hawkshaw and Barrowman get some game time. Some of the other young boys that have been around the first team for a while like Thomson, Truesdale and Leighton that might be worth giving some game time too or all out on loan at the moment but in the juniors and Lowland League. I think if you have a player out on loan to another SPFL team you can't play them in the first team again if you recall them but not sure how it works for non-league teams as such. 

My only disappointment from yesterday is that Scott Stewart has cut his hair. 

Anybody hear any rumours on Saturday about Stuart Millar being appointed Director of Football? It was being talked about at half time. I think he’s been in a similar role at Stranraer until recently (also an ex-player).

With a full time manager already in place, not sure how it’ll work at a club our size. If true, I’m sure the club will be forthcoming with a communication shortly (as ever...)

8 hours ago, Airdrie Minded said:

Anybody hear any rumours on Saturday about Stuart Millar being appointed Director of Football? It was being talked about at half time. I think he’s been in a similar role at Stranraer until recently (also an ex-player).

With a full time manager already in place, not sure how it’ll work at a club our size. If true, I’m sure the club will be forthcoming with a communication shortly (as ever...)

Interesting post, would say that as the club have now decided to take this new path then the board desperately need someone like Stuart to help with recruitment. 

I'm told quite a few new players have already been on trial over the last few weeks in reserve matches. Whether this has anything to do with S M I don't know.

I think they probably missed a trick not doing this a year ago! Stranraer have recruited much better than we have over the past 10 years as our performance has been similar to theirs but I imagine we’ve spent considerably more.

From what I understand, Stuart was involved with getting Ex-Players signed up to help with hospitality and was going to do a pre-game Q&A before a Stranraer game that got cancelled.

Wish him all the best if this is true.

On 25/03/2019 at 10:05, Airdrie Minded said:

Seems to be well thought of in that sort of role. He's also been a scout or head scout at Ross County, West Brom, Aberdeen and Dumbarton. Couldn't tell you with any certainty what players he helped to sign at each respective club but he joined Ross County the season they beat us to the second division title (07/08) and they've certainly progressed tenfold in the intervening years in comparison to us. He joined Dumbarton in the Championship and I'm pretty sure he left before they got relegated. I'm sure @Ross Forbes could provide a complete summary of his time there.  I would also say Stranraer's recruitment has been better than ours this season vis-a-vis each clubs' budgets, aims and resources. 

We've seen this season how much bad recruitment can f**k you over. We obviously didn't have the right manager or recruitment structure in place to do it well. Getting Stan in to work with Murray, who knows this level of football well, could be a difference maker. 

42 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Seems to be well thought of in that sort of role. He's also been a scout or head scout at Ross County, West Brom, Aberdeen and Dumbarton. Couldn't tell you with any certainty what players he helped to sign at each respective club but he joined Ross County the season they beat us to the second division title (07/08) and they've certainly progressed tenfold in the intervening years in comparison to us. He joined Dumbarton in the Championship and I'm pretty sure he left before they got relegated. I'm sure @Ross Forbes could provide a complete summary of his time there.  I would also say Stranraer's recruitment has been better than ours this season vis-a-vis each clubs' budgets, aims and resources. 

We've seen this season how much bad recruitment can f**k you over. We obviously didn't have the right manager or recruitment structure in place to do it well. Getting Stan in to work with Murray, who knows this level of football well, could be a difference maker. 

Ross Forbes will have the full player list to confirm I'm sure, but you're right that Millar left us before we were relegated. He was brought in by Stevie Aitken when he first signed on, Aitken and Farrell both worked with him at Stranraer so it made sense.  He scouted opposition teams for us and obviously identify possible targets. I'm not sure anyone at Dumbarton has record of who Millar recommended we sign, but one thing is for certain, when Millar left our squad building got worse.  I don't think it was all down to Millar leaving (Aitken's head was turned by the Raith job coming available and he took 3 weeks on holiday when really he should have been building our squad) but it probably did have an effect. When Faz left to manage Stranraer Millar wasn't far behind him.

As I've said before on here, Murray always looked to the leagues above for players to sign rather than finding gems in the lower leagues, if he gets someone on board with a bit more knowledge of the lower end of Scottish football that can only be a good thing.

I see that the club have come out against Strict Liability in a BBC poll.
No real surprise there given our fans propensity to misbehaviour!

Does Strict Liabilty have a clause specifically dealing with angry rustling of sweety wrappers?