The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

3 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

I think it's been a very poor season ,previous seasons we did not expect to much but with the players signed this season  raised the hopes  and I really thought a play off place at worst ,will see the glass half full come Wednesday .

Completely agree. I was convinced play offs this season. Might be proven right yet, just at the wrong end. 

The first full time season rivals it for disappointment- but it was clear very early own the team wasn’t good enough. 

20 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

The 1st one is a penalty no doubt about it

The second one my first thought was a dive, but need to see it again

Refs aren't great at this level and although you're moaning number 7 was very lucky to stay on and number 8 should've been booked long before he took out bobby. Maybe the 2nd pen was lucky for us but you had your share of luck too

I know our jersey numbers are quite small but it was Number 6 ( Gallagher) who took out Linn ( He is a super winger and if only we had someone like him). It was a terrible foul. As for our actual Number 8, the chances of Conroy  getting close enough to foul anyone are near to Zero. The No 7 was starting his first league game and maybe his Rangers sense of superiority has yet to meet L1 reality. I have no idea why we brought him in. As to refs at this level they are just about OK ( remember Matt Northcroft?)  I think gold goes down too easy as they say but we did pass up chances to equalise. Curiously I enjoyed the match, if not the result, for one of the few times this season

On 24/02/2019 at 10:11, DiamondOwl said:

I wasn't there, but come on let's be realistic, Scott Stewart's confidence must be rock bottom.!He's been in and out the team this season and now his manager has just brought a young loan signing in because "wing back was a position that needed strengthening", according to Murray.  Last season Stewart was regularly in the team, captain on many occasions, and was IMO one of the best 3 players that we had. Murray obviously doesn't rate him and Stewart's confidence and consequently his form is suffering badly. He's never going to be a world beater but under Murray he's gone (and is still going!) backwards. It would appear to be poor player management, but there may be other issues involved that I don't know about.

It is an area that needs to strengthening. If we are going to play 3-5-2 then you need more than one right wing-back to last the season. Robertson or O'Neill could play there if desperate, but at least one of those is needed in the back 3 and I wouldn't say either are good enough going forward to be a regular in that position.

What are you suggesting? That Murray doesn't bring in players to try and strengthen in case he hurts a player's feelings? You either rise to the challenge or leave. There's been far too much acceptance of poor players/performances in recent years which is why we are where we are. I'm afraid I'm beyond the point where I'm worried about players having their nose put out of joint for being dropped after poor performances.

32 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Maybe not poor performance that's bothering the players,maybe they see players coming in on loan and straight into  the team with little  experience at this level.

I tend to agree with you about experience and to have three of them starting on Saturday was a surprise. I thought Campbell and Miller looked a good combination after Gallagher staggered off. Thomson kind of reminded me off Phil Johnston who never quite made it with Airdrie nor many others. He did settle down to a hard working game after his poor early foul, We all thought there would be lots of competition this season but it has unsettled rather than inspired. I thought O'Neil and Crighton  played well but Mcdonald had a few errors around the dodgy penalties. We simply have to beat Montrose and I fancy he will play largely the same team minus post Gallagher. 

I can't find the relevant article on the official site but I seem to recall that at the start of the season several different working groups were formed to manage and assess different areas of the club. If I remember correctly there was a football working group that would deal with matters exclusively to do with all the on the park stuff, a community working group and maybe a commercial one as well? The groups were made up of the board, directors, fans, the supporters' trust and other individuals. I would be interested to hear if these groups still exist and I would be interested to hear their assessments of this season so far around their specific areas. I'd be particularly interested in hearing from the football one. We all know the squad we have is terribly imbalanced, or just plain terrible, not good enough to get us to where we want to be and is allegedly expensive (possibly "overbudget"). With that being the case I would like to know how exactly this came about. Did the working group scout or identify players for Findlay or have any involvement in putting together the squad (in terms of coming up with a system of how we would play and then signing players to fit that system) or were all facets of recruitment left to Findlay? Did the working group offer any advice at all to Findlay and was it taken? Martin Ferguson said he would be involved in scouting players and/or he would use his contacts. Did this transpire or not? If Findlay went over budget why was that allowed to happen? Given this season has been a disaster what lessons have been learned and what will be done next season to ensure we are in a better place to challenge for promotion (apart from the obvious of actually having a competent manager)? I can understand if some of these questions can't be answered, or if the working group didn't even exist or do anything in the first place (lol) but it would be good to hear from them RE this season's problems and plans for next season. 

53 minutes ago, airdrie_3 said:

IMG_5387.jpg

Shocking,what is worse I don't think we have any one that can do anything about it ,it's alright saying if we stay away the team will suffer.its high time Airdrie and the team were given the fans something decent to watch ,Can't keep blaming Findlay ,our new manager has not exactly done any better. I was hoping the ex Kelty manager would have got the job and there is nothing that has changed my mind .when it gets to the state that we are thinking if we could beat Montrose at home we might have a chance to stay up ,it is pretty dire ,I can't remember us as bad .

10 hours ago, AFC1878 said:

Here’s the link to the statement on the OS that airdrieman referred to.

https://www.airdriefc.com/clubstatement-090118

Thank you. Given it's only Martin Ferguson and Ian McMillan left from the football club and their positions at the club I doubt we'll hear anything! Some of those other groups will need updating too I'm sure...

13 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Thank you. Given it's only Martin Ferguson and Ian McMillan left from the football club and their positions at the club I doubt we'll hear anything! Some of those other groups will need updating too I'm sure...

I don't think anything will be getting updated. Do you ?

Sorry to jump on your thread guys, me and a couple of guys from work will be attending the sure to be thrilling encounter on Saturday. We fancy grabbing something to eat and having a couple of pints while watching the Arsenal game. We'll be getting the train from Edinburgh. Are there any decent boozers close to the station that will be showing the early kick off and that serve food? Any suggestions gratefully received. 

1 hour ago, endieinreekie said:

Sorry to jump on your thread guys, me and a couple of guys from work will be attending the sure to be thrilling encounter on Saturday. We fancy grabbing something to eat and having a couple of pints while watching the Arsenal game. We'll be getting the train from Edinburgh. Are there any decent boozers close to the station that will be showing the early kick off and that serve food? Any suggestions gratefully received. 

Get a pint and a full fry up in Pro Bowl right across from the train station (best brekkie in the town), then head to either the West End Bar, Cue Here, or the Albert to watch the game.  All football friendly.  PS Get the train to Airdrie, not Drumgelloch.