The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Don't you mean the Official Clydebank thread? Airdrieonians went bust in 2002.

After Airdrieonians went out of business on 1 May 2002, local accountant Jim Ballantyne attempted to gain entry to the Scottish Football League (SFL) with a team named Airdrie United.[17] His bid for league status was rejected, however, in favour of the application by Gretna, who were then playing in the English Northern Premier League.[18] Ballantyne then opted to buy control of Clydebank, another SFL club experiencing extreme financial hardship.[19] With approval by the SFL, their name was changed to Airdrie United, the team relocated to Airdrie and the strip was altered to the famous diamond style of Airdrieonians.[

Edited by kiddy

12 minutes ago, kiddy said:

Very insightful. And there was me thinking a team called Airdrieonians are playing in this league. 12 words (and an inserted link) and you had to edit it. 

38 minutes ago, kiddy said:

Don't you mean the Official Clydebank thread? 

No mate. I meant The Official Airdrieonians Thread.

It's an easy mistake to make, but you'll be more familiar with us next season.

3 hours ago, kiddy said:

At least learn to read an look at more than one article and copy and paste the right thing.....

"The club's official name was changed in 2013 with the approval of the SFA to the traditional name of Airdrieonians"

11 minutes ago, kiddy said:

So what, the clubs name was changed "with SFA approval" from Clydebank FC!

Airdrieonians League membership now resides with Annan, & I don't need to quote ANYONE on that #fact.

At least you're not bothered.

Lads clearly a screwball...

image.png.8a489b604a51ec14cf97f61499aa5e13.png

3 hours ago, kiddy said:

Airdrieonians League membership now resides with Annan, & I don't need to quote ANYONE on that #fact.

ES Clydebank

Pots and kettles spring to mind.

Back to the football.

It's clear to me that we need someone with pace and a decent engine to play left wing back/left mid. If we had decent CH cover I'd play MacDonald there. Conroy isn't the answer in that position, and Josh doesn't have the speed of thought required (yet) to be effective. 

Also, it seemed that in the last 10 mins we sat really deep. Just wondering if anyone thinks that it's a fitness thing? Or just a co-incidence that it was at the end of the game.

7 hours ago, Moon said:

Back to the football.

It's clear to me that we need someone with pace and a decent engine to play left wing back/left mid. If we had decent CH cover I'd play MacDonald there. Conroy isn't the answer in that position, and Josh doesn't have the speed of thought required (yet) to be effective. 

Also, it seemed that in the last 10 mins we sat really deep. Just wondering if anyone thinks that it's a fitness thing? Or just a co-incidence that it was at the end of the game.

Thought our problems started with the substitutions , especially Josh.

I've just watched the highlights and I disagree with some of the comments I've seen about MacDonald being at fault for the first goal. Yes, he gave the ball away, but he was in the opposition half not the six yard box.  The guy still had lots to do, no-one pressed him at all, and midfield didn't get back in time.

I genuinely don’t think any Airdrie Fan really cares but it’s good that it irritates you.

I’m happy to acknowledge the liquidation; a warning to us as to what could happen again.

What you believe a football club is as a concept is pretty interesting. Do you go with a Franchisee model where we were Clydebank in a previous life or is it the people, Supporters, Stadium etc?

If Annan have our league membership does that mean it travelled via Gretna and we can lay claim to 3 championships and a Scottish Cup Final?! If so... I’ll be sure to give Annan a wee cheer and support the new Franchise at the same time..... if only just to annoy you [emoji815]️

On 03/02/2019 at 13:44, kiddy said:

Nah mate ... changed from airdrie United ...you obviously have no understanding of scottish football 

Edited by Maxismydog

10 hours ago, Maxismydog said:

Nah mate ... changed from airdrie United ...you obviously have no understanding of scottish football 

You could have done him the courtesy of informing him he's in the wrong place.  The thread where anyone gives a f*ck is a few hundred pages over.

1 hour ago, Jack Reed said:

Maybe have to fight to avoid play -offs at the other end ,and  do not fancy our chances if a bit of grit is needed, 

I have posted on the match thread  but my thoughts on the team (!) today would take a lot longer. I would exempt from severe criticism the back three during the first half as they did all you would want in a defensive aspect on a near "Gayfield" day. I felt sorry for Chris O'Neil being moved to the left side with McDonald out injured -shows how much Murray values our left sided Jonathan Page.  Crighton also did well but I don't see Robertson as what is needed in a back three. The real areas of concern were all in front of that defence. From out of sorts Stewart who could not get past Eckersley through a midfield which show no sense of team work to Conroy in his painfully defensive role, it was embarrassing.  Mcintosh was so isolated he was easy meat for Forfar. That was just the first half and I have to wonder why Murray kept exactly the same line up and tactics until we went 2 down. The loan player from Hibs is being wasted because he has no idea where he is supposed to play?  we have all these midfield players but no real competition. Millar was anonymous/ Gallagher did work really hard but no one broke through. The young boy Glass looked just that -a young boy. Yes" Carrick must score" is becoming a well worn phrase  but he deserves a place more than most.  Again we had no one up the park at corners which we used to berate EWB over.  I did think it would be  hard but this was poor.   Last week Murray said he was deflated; this week has lots more D words-defeat/devoid of ideas/ dreadful tactics/ dreary drive down da road/ and any others you can devise.