The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

1 hour ago, Tory Boy said:

The problem is, he wasn't fit. He put very little effort in training and piled on the weight. This situation is his own doing. He was paid (and apparently paid well) by the club and he let himself go. Fair enough he has realised it wasn't acceptable and tried to get himself back in shape but I have no sympathy for him.

Very much this. His attitude last year was clearly very wrong. He was an absolute waste of a wage for an entire season and is now playing the victim card and is bemused that the club want shot of him. The fact is that he is a professional athlete who is crowing about actually being fit. That's a sentence that just shouldn't happen.

I get that, but it must mean that the majority owners are either putting more cash in or doing a debt for equity swap on existing loans. I’d see that as a good thing in terms of long term commitment.

Agree, just clarifying as I’d missed it out my original summary and worth noting.
Think there’s effectively one left to put money in? Could be equity swap, perhaps could be an agreement with favourable terms over stadium rental across x amount of years in some way. Who knows.
I think the importance of promotion shouldn’t be overlooked though - we certainly look like we want to give it a go (got to give credit for managing the overhaul that’s taken place) so fingers crossed.

9 hours ago, Tory Boy said:

The problem is, he wasn't fit. He put very little effort in training and piled on the weight. This situation is his own doing. He was paid (and apparently paid well) by the club and he let himself go. Fair enough he has realised it wasn't acceptable and tried to get himself back in shape but I have no sympathy for him.

7 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Very much this. His attitude last year was clearly very wrong. He was an absolute waste of a wage for an entire season and is now playing the victim card and is bemused that the club want shot of him. The fact is that he is a professional athlete who is crowing about actually being fit. That's a sentence that just shouldn't happen.

It's probably worth remembering too that the only person saying how fit he now is, is Page himself. It could be true but given that he's having to tout himself to other clubs I would take it with a pinch of salt. Sure if he's still at the club then he might as well be used as backup but if there is a way to get rid of him amicably I would do so. Maybe people are being hysteric but others shouldn't undersell how bad he was either. The guy was an utter donkey and a half decent performance in an ostensibly meaningless game against a holiday-mode Arbroath doesn't change that. 

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

It's probably worth remembering too that the only person saying how fit he now is, is Page himself. It could be true but given that he's having to tout himself to other clubs I would take it with a pinch of salt. Sure if he's still at the club then he might as well be used as backup but if there is a way to get rid of him amicably I would do so. Maybe people are being hysteric but others shouldn't undersell how bad he was either. The guy was an utter donkey and a half decent performance in an ostensibly meaningless game against a holiday-mode Arbroath doesn't change that. 

Preach!

A worthwhile exercise that game today, plenty players got minutes on the park and that was my first glance at the new boys today since I was bowling on Tuesday night and missed the rovers game.

I thought the boy Kerr was very composed at the back, Eckersley looks very much like a player from a higher league, he'll be an excellent signing.

Glad we aren't even trying to accommodate Wedderburn in a midfield 2, he's basically just patrolling that area between defence and midfield, winning the ball and moving it on, he didn't waste a ball all game IMO.

The boy Euan O'Reilly that came on looks like a good old fashioned winger, but with an end product (see the cross for goal 2), quick feet and always looking to run with the ball.

As I said, a worthwhile exercise and another few minutes fitness for guys.

ETA: I really like that away strip, especially with they black and red striped socks!

That was promising. O’Reilly was pick of the bunch for me and I was delighted to see Cammy Russell get on the scoresheet. I think he could be the answer to our goal scoring problems. Eckersly and Fordyce looked the part and the big centre half, Kerr, looked comfortable on the ball. Will reserve judgement until I see him up against the more senior forwards in L1 such as Samson at Falkirk. Roy put the work in but missed a couple that he really should have stuck away. Not sure about Wedderburn and Miller in the same midfield. I’d prefer only one sitting midfielder and I prefer Millers mobility. I’m sure I could go on but looking forward to the start of the season proper. Might even take a trip to Firhill next week.

Meant to say I’m not a fan of the strip would be better if it was a red back rather than black. Anyway I’m too old and fat to be wearing football tops so not really an issue[emoji16]

2 hours ago, 2lgm said:

That was promising. O’Reilly was pick of the bunch for me and I was delighted to see Cammy Russell get on the scoresheet. I think he could be the answer to our goal scoring problems. Eckersly and Fordyce looked the part and the big centre half, Kerr, looked comfortable on the ball. Will reserve judgement until I see him up against the more senior forwards in L1 such as Samson at Falkirk. Roy put the work in but missed a couple that he really should have stuck away. Not sure about Wedderburn and Miller in the same midfield. I’d prefer only one sitting midfielder and I prefer Millers mobility. I’m sure I could go on but looking forward to the start of the season proper. Might even take a trip to Firhill next week.

Wasn't there but saw the score. Like yourself I'd like to think that we won't be playing Wedderburn and Millar in the same midfield. Will be interesting to see how we line up when the proper stuff kicks off next week. How did the trialist get on today? 

As an aside I like the squad numbers btw. 

22 minutes ago, Spanish Armada said:

How Pigeon chest still gets clubs is beyond me this boy is woeful never ever rated him in an airdrie strip

Who? 😂

Who? [emoji23]

I thought he was ok some decent passing and covered a bit of ground. Wouldn’t be adverse to giving him a season or an extended trial period. Not sure who he is tho.

Side issue, did you see the fucking size of Jordyn Sheerin (14) when he came on. He's clearly been on holiday somewhere on an all inclusive deal and spent the entire 2 weeks at the buffet.

I'm 51 and in better shape than him (apart from the fucked ankles and knees). How the f**k any club allows a player to get in that shape and still pay him is beyond me.

15 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Side issue, did you see the fucking size of Jordyn Sheerin (14) when he came on. He's clearly been on holiday somewhere on an all inclusive deal and spent the entire 2 weeks at the buffet.

I'm 51 and in better shape than him (apart from the fucked ankles and knees). How the f**k any club allows a player to get in that shape and still pay him is beyond me.

He was a classic example of why obese people should not wear football strips,  apparently when he trys to dry his toes after a shower he automatically gives himself a diddy ride..!!!!

The guy was clearly a decent player as well. Incredible that he is that out of shape.

I disagree with the comment above about playing Wedderburn and Miller in the same midfield, I think we need the type of energy that Miller brought yesterday to allow Wedderburn to play the passes he was playing.

Kerr is clearly a player, Roy looks good too, overall a huge improvement in the team. Thomson's touch let him down a few times, although he played well overall. But a noticeable difference on how Gallagher, Roy, Russell dealt with balls out to them compared to him.

O'Reilly looked good too, great ball for the goal and his play looked threatening and intelligent.

The Trialist seems to be getting some love on the FB page but for me he came on and gave the ball away 2 or 3 times, and then Roberts came on and I was just willing him to shoot for the rest of the game and may have taken my eye off the trialist 😂