The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

If we stay up by whatever means that has to be viewed as a success. It seems like a strong league next season and I believe we’ve not finished higher than 9th in the Championship/First Division since 2006 so it will be tough.  But difficult to gauge until we know what the squad’s going to look like 

4 hours ago, WL Diamond said:

If we stay up by whatever means that has to be viewed as a success. It seems like a strong league next season and I believe we’ve not finished higher than 9th in the Championship/First Division since 2006 so it will be tough.  But difficult to gauge until we know what the squad’s going to look like 

It will be impossible to really get a true expectation of league position until we have finalized our squad and the other Championship teams have completed theirs.  Looking at the recent successes of QP and Arbroath then yes, it is possible that we can compete at the top end of the table and secure a playoff spot.  But I’m realistic and will compare our team to others and make a judgement on this at the start of August, not in May.  Looking at last season I believed we had the third strongest team in the division and that’s where we ended up.  No doubt McCabe wants to play his style of football and with some key signings, who knows, we may end up being the surprise package.   But this league is different… DU fans demanding an immediate return to the top flight, maybe the same for RC… QP wanting to build on their season, RR expecting more from Murray and a playoff spot minimum, A*r wanting to correct their playoff flop and make up for that next season.   There are a lot of ambitious clubs and BOD putting pressure on management to deliver to give the team at least a chance of promotion through the playoffs.   Again, I’ll need to see the team but if we finish mid-table playing our style of football I’ll be happy to use that as a building block for the following season.  

Just thinking back to this time last year, Murray away, playoff lost then we seemed to take forever to sign players and started the season with barely a full squad, what a turn around. Championship looks a strong league this year so ned to get a squad assembled early for a strong start, lose the first 3-4 games and it could be hard to make up the ground.

7 minutes ago, moses1924 said:

See on the Cove thread they are going largely full time next season, maybe some of their part time players worth a look for us, assuming we are remaining hybrid ourselves and Arbroath now competing for the best full time players @CoveRangers1922might have some thoughts.

There doing a hybrid model same as us because a lot of there part time players are under contract.

1 hour ago, moses1924 said:

See on the Cove thread they are going largely full time next season, maybe some of their part time players worth a look for us, assuming we are remaining hybrid ourselves and Arbroath now competing for the best full time players @CoveRangers1922might have some thoughts.

I suspect we won't have many part time players next season. Maybe 5 or 6 but could easily be less. Only our central belt based players (Neill, Fox, Naismith) would likely be candidates and none are good enough for you in the Championship.

Luis Longstaff has been offered a contract but hasn't accepted yet. He did well for us in the Championship and will be sparking some interest.

2024/25 we're going to be FT exclusively or that's the plan. Our departing PT players will likely be well over 30, local and will want to stay in the area.

Sure Rhys will have plans to strength several areas. A bit of muscle in the middle of the park to compliment your attacking flair players could be needed along with a partner at CB for Fordyce. A strong defence with some pace will be a must for next season, we didn't have it and got punished. 

Edited by CoveRangers1922

4 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Anyone ITK with regards to how the club intends to vote RE the proposed conference league? 

It would be good for the club to engage with the fans on this one, however I do fear (based on nothing but a hunch) they’ll vote if favour of this proposal without any engagement.

6 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Anyone ITK with regards to how the club intends to vote RE the proposed conference league? 

Hopefully against it as it seems that the majority of fans in the lower leagues are opposed. If we had a supporters trust or similar then it would be relatively easy to engage with our support to gauge the feelings on it however we've not got that. Unless the cub decide that they want to email all the ST holders and Club1924 members but I'm not sure how much of a cross section that would be.

Anyway, no to the conference league and f**k the B teams.

22 minutes ago, moses1924 said:

I thought we did have a supporters Trust, we used to?

We did but there was a massive fall out which hardly anyone knows the exact reasons for. I believe there is at least one NDA in place pertaining to the events.

10 hours ago, moses1924 said:

I very much doubt we would be looking for part time players to join our low grade Hybrid (1 last season).  At the start of the season Gallagher got know where near the team, with Rhys favouring Smith, Jamieson  and McGill this changed from October onwards thankfully and he had the season of his life.  It was c Lear when Rhys first started out Part timers were not on his radar....  

The Hybrid was fare more prominent in previous,seasons especially the one cut short by covid,  with Crighton, Big Nat, Millar , Eckersley and Roberts( sorry guys) that level of player has a low expectation level, even a although we were reasonably placed when covid arrived....

5 hours ago, Diamond Oracle said:

It would be good for the club to engage with the fans on this one, however I do fear (based on nothing but a hunch) they’ll vote if favour of this proposal without any engagement.

How do you feel with Celtic B using the stadium the last couple of seasons,  with there income helping to fund us to get to the championship....

14 hours ago, Passionate said:

How do you feel with Celtic B using the stadium the last couple of seasons,  with there income helping to fund us to get to the championship....

I’m not against clubs having B teams. As far as I’m concerned Celtic, Rangers et al can fill their boots with their B teams as long as they’re playing in a B team league that sits outwith the senior league system.

I would doubt that Celtic renting out our pitch once every fortnight would be a major factor to us getting promoted in any case.