Moon

The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

One of Airdrie's legends. I remember his bravery in those days and have a distant memory of us beating Motherwell with his shot stopping. I always thought he was given a free transfer by Hibs due to his injuries and was surprised to learn a fee was involved. Sad day for his family and condolences to them. 

I think I was at that Motherwell game at Fir Park. Laurie Leslie was unbeatable that day. In particular I remember a header by Charlie Aitken Motherwell’a right half (#4) from a corner on the main stand side at the away end which was heading for the top left hand postage stamp like a bullet when Laurie managed to get fingertips to it and put it round the post. He made innumerable saves that day. I can’t remember if we won or drew but we certainly didn’t lose - all because of him.
Incredible goalkeeper so sad to hear of his passing.

1 hour ago, weigh cider said:

I think I was at that Motherwell game at Fir Park. Laurie Leslie was unbeatable that day. In particular I remember a header by Charlie Aitken Motherwell’a right half (#4) from a corner on the main stand side at the away end which was heading for the top left hand postage stamp like a bullet when Laurie managed to get fingertips to it and put it round the post. He made innumerable saves that day. I can’t remember if we won or drew but we certainly didn’t lose - all because of him.
Incredible goalkeeper so sad to hear of his passing.

We won 1-0 and it was the quarter final of the cup. The save you refer to was in the last minute. Our goal was scored by Tommy Duncan with almost our only shot of the game!

Thanks for the account and that's how I remember it.. Tommy Duncan also put me through P.E. at the Academy ( The days of Paw Broon) in the short spell before he went on to Jordanhill College, He was a tremendous winger.

12 hours ago, Diamond8 said:

Reports on the Stenny thread that we have signed Thomson whonwas at training on Saturday, although they seemed pretty confident that they had signed him.

the MoJo of Airdrie.

Stenny must be offering some dosh if they thought they could sign him? 

I don’t think Thomson is the kind of forward we need and I think we’re unlikely to sign him. Murray said he’s going to sign one more striker, and you’d hope it’d be the goal scoring type and not the “hard working”/ “does a job for the team” type which we already have a few of in Gallagher/ Russell/ Carrick/ Roy.

If he was genuinely about to sign for Stenny that would be the second player to burn them like that in this transfer window. An ITK type of the thread said he's got a few offers, including one from Alloa, so might not be a done deal for us yet either. 

I don't remember much about Thomson but think he's a target-man type player? Maybe not a 20 goal a season man either but perhaps with the right combination between him Carrick/Gallagher/Roy Murray and Millar think they can get a decent amount of goals between them. He's done well at this level before anyway and in the tier above previously with Dumbarton. 

Wonder who we’ll get in the first game when the fixtures come out. Think we’ve started the last 3 seasons away from home, so going to predict that we’ll start off against Peterhead at home

42 minutes ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

Wonder who we’ll get in the first game when the fixtures come out. Think we’ve started the last 3 seasons away from home, so going to predict that we’ll start off against Peterhead at home

Think Forfar away is the tradition but think I'll stick to my motto in life which is anyone but Clyde.

Think Forfar away is the tradition but think I'll stick to my motto in life which is anyone but Clyde.
Wouldn't mind dumbarton at home to kick off the season

5 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:

Wouldn't mind dumbarton at home to kick off the season

Remember we are Airdrie though. They’ll be our new Stenny :unsure:

3 hours ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

Would hope as last seasons champions we would start our league fixtures at home at Balmoor for unfurling the flag.

9 minutes ago, peternapper said:

Would hope as last seasons champions we would start our league fixtures at home at Balmoor for unfurling the flag.

Excuse my typo, I meant to say I think we'll get Dumbarton away 🤪

5 hours ago, airdrieman said:

If he was genuinely about to sign for Stenny that would be the second player to burn them like that in this transfer window. An ITK type of the thread said he's got a few offers, including one from Alloa, so might not be a done deal for us yet either. 

I don't remember much about Thomson but think he's a target-man type player? Maybe not a 20 goal a season man either but perhaps with the right combination between him Carrick/Gallagher/Roy Murray and Millar think they can get a decent amount of goals between them. He's done well at this level before anyway and in the tier above previously with Dumbarton. 

I think at this level its it's always very difficult to find available strikers who can near enough guarantee you 20+ goals.  Most who have done that previously will either be playing in the Championship after getting their team promoted or they will be wanted by Championship teams...the likes of Andy Ryan and Kevin Nisbet are prime examples.  Also neither of them were prolific beforehand so as you say, it's more trying to find a group of strikers who are likely to hit a decent amount  between them with obviously the hope that one of them can have a really good season and hit the 20+ mark! 

1 minute ago, Red Diamond said:

I would imagine the boy would get a better deal elsewhere .

The problem we have now is all the decent strikers are signed up,  Henderson at Edinburgh City is still available but likely to resign with them,  We may have to go down the loan market and hope to get a gem that way,   as a play off chasing team we will need 60 goals minimum this season,  have we got that currently in our squad, looking at players recent form personally I doubt it.   But in saying that a few of our rivals look short on the strikers front also.

Article says we've made contact with Connor Shields, previously of Albion Rovers and Sunderland - https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/former-sunderland-player-aims-full-16537015

Now that’s a player that has the potential to be our goal scoring forward. I’d be delighted if we managed to get him.

27 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Article says we've made contact with Connor Shields, previously of Albion Rovers and Sunderland - https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/former-sunderland-player-aims-full-16537015

I dunno what makes me think it but I get the feeling the boy is looking for full time football.

I dunno what makes me think it but I get the feeling the boy is looking for full time football.
Millar said on Facebook he's going to Aldershot