The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

45 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

How has Ben Stanway looked for you guys? 

Quite hit and miss. He was very good in his first start against Kelty, winning plenty of tackles and getting about the park but has struggled to make the same impact since. Since then his only other starts have been on the left of a narrow diamond, where he scored against Dunfermline and played well and then a weird performance against Falkirk where he started really well for 15 minutes and was then awful for the rest of the half. Since then he’s been limited to sub appearances and he’s done ok but hasn’t made too much of an impact. I think he’s a decent player though, just not ready to start every week at a top end League One team.

1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

How has Ben Stanway looked for you guys? 

Not played that much as there is plenty competition for our midfield 3 positions but looks promising and most definitely has strengthened our squad. We'll have him back next season if you guy's get promotion!

22 hours ago, Diamond1924 said:

Can anyone put their finger on Smiths poor form? Really concerning 

I think there are a few factors,    his teammates have stepped up performance wise,so he doesn't stick out as much,   and due to our recent form teams realise Callum is a major player for ourselves and he is being marked accordingly,  2 sometimes 3 players round Smith at times in the First Half on Saturday,  probably has to change his game up a little against these teams,  fully expect him to e back to top form at Grangemouth on Saturday, plenty space to play in on that pitch..

Aaron Taylor-Sinclair Is next on ny underrated list. Genuinely can’t believe how often he took possession under no pressure on Saturday and was able to progress it to Gal coming deep or one of the midfielders. Think he’s also been very composed over the last few games and generally unperturbed. Hopefully he can get it right up Falkirk next week.

21 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Aaron Taylor-Sinclair Is next on ny underrated list. Genuinely can’t believe how often he took possession under no pressure on Saturday and was able to progress it to Gal coming deep or one of the midfielders. Think he’s also been very composed over the last few games and generally unperturbed. Hopefully he can get it right up Falkirk next week.

A few of us have been ATS truthers for a while now. He didn’t do too much wrong when he played earlier this season and he’s been excellent since coming back in recently. He’s obviously not the player he was but you can tell he’s played at a good level. Fordyce seems to play much better beside him too, probably helped knowing ATS is the calmest man in the stadium whereas Watson and Byrd can be pretty erratic. I’m a big fan of his whole demeanour to be honest and him being an international for Antigua and Barbuda just adds to it. 

14 hours ago, Mr November said:

A few of us have been ATS truthers for a while now. He didn’t do too much wrong when he played earlier this season and he’s been excellent since coming back in recently. He’s obviously not the player he was but you can tell he’s played at a good level. Fordyce seems to play much better beside him too, probably helped knowing ATS is the calmest man in the stadium whereas Watson and Byrd can be pretty erratic. I’m a big fan of his whole demeanour to be honest and him being an international for Antigua and Barbuda just adds to it. 

Never seen enough of Byrd to judge him ,Watson in my opinion is a good player at this level ,

When you look at the positive impact our subs made in the game, with Telfer, McGregor and Stanway all contributing to a strong finish to the match, it really does give you confidence for the remaining games. Telfer comes on and nearly scores, before playing the pass of the game for McGregor's third, after a relentless high energy performance from Justin D for the first hour and a bit. McGregor was more effective than we've seen him thus far, even before the goal, and the hope is he keeps getting better and keeps developing the longer he works with the coaches on the training park. 

It would take a really horrendous drop off to fail to finish in the playoff places now, and whilst winning runs always come to an end, the confidence is clearly sky-high, the whole squad seem to be loving it and the back five and front three in particular seem incredibly well settled. 

No reason we can't keep our excellent record in Grangemouth going. I don't see Montrose doing anything tonight in their game, mind you, so probably looking at a five point gap again before a ball is kicked on Saturday. If those good old Gable-Endies do get anything, though, it'd be an absolutely excellent opportunity to go 2nd. 

8 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Never seen enough of Byrd to judge him ,Watson in my opinion is a good player at this level ,

I really like Watson as a right-back, decent on the ball and by full-back standards is solid enough defensively and gives us a bit of extra height. I'm not buying him as a centre back though, he's been tried there a few times over the last couple of years and never lasts more than a few games because he isn't reliable there.

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I really like Watson as a right-back, decent on the ball and by full-back standards is solid enough defensively and gives us a bit of extra height. I'm not buying him as a centre back though, he's been tried there a few times over the last couple of years and never lasts more than a few games because he isn't reliable there.

I’ve said it many times now, there’s a reason Murray played a 5ft 9 midfielder at centre back over Watson. I rate Watson, but he’s 100% a full back and I honestly could not understand why McCabe persisted with him at centre back for so long this season.

On 10/04/2023 at 09:40, Passionate said:

I think there are a few factors,    his teammates have stepped up performance wise,so he doesn't stick out as much,   and due to our recent form teams realise Callum is a major player for ourselves and he is being marked accordingly,  2 sometimes 3 players round Smith at times in the First Half on Saturday,  probably has to change his game up a little against these teams,  fully expect him to e back to top form at Grangemouth on Saturday, plenty space to play in on that pitch..

Quality analysis to be fair 👌🏻

On 10/04/2023 at 21:34, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

His stats check out remarkably. Easy to get sucked into the Falkirk hype merchants who forgot he was part of a majorly sinking ship last season. Proper cigars out job at times of late

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Agreed, I think Watson has been better at right-back for us than Ballantyne has been this season. Thinking back to the last trip to Falkirk, I don't remember ATS doing anything, which I think is a good sign, whereas Watson needlessly shoved two Falkirk players and possibly should have been sent off. He's a very solid League One right-back, or maybe right of a back three, but definitely not as a centre-back.

Good wee feature, that. Shame it didn't catch the third goal, granted, but even so, I like it. 

McMaster 20 today; I'm guessing we'll all be more than happy if the rumours of him being signed on permanently next year come to fruition right enough. Really has stepped up in this run, great to see. Long may it continue.