The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

14 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Whilst I've always been very confident we'll make the play offs, and also that we'll win against Montrose on Saturday its a vitally important game that would give us great confidence and a bit of breathing space going in to our next 2 matches against Falkirk and Dunfermline.

Yeah another massive match because as you say, we maybe have the toughest last four fixtures out of the various runners and riders for the playoff spots? Games against top two then two matches against teams we've not managed to beat as yet this season. Win on Saturday and you kill off any lingering hopes Montrose have, but assuming Dunfermline win their match, you also go one point off second.. 

Much more importantly, a win on Saturday really pushes us that bit closer to securing a playoff berth. It won't seal it, not quite, but it would definitely put us in touching distance. As we've seen to our cost, where you land in 2nd-4th isn't all that definitive for playoff success. Just get there. 

And if we could get there before the final day visit to Meadowbank, that'd be just swell. 

18 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Yeah another massive match because as you say, we maybe have the toughest last four fixtures out of the various runners and riders for the playoff spots? Games against top two then two matches against teams we've not managed to beat as yet this season. Win on Saturday and you kill off any lingering hopes Montrose have, but assuming Dunfermline win their match, you also go one point off second.. 

Much more importantly, a win on Saturday really pushes us that bit closer to securing a playoff berth. It won't seal it, not quite, but it would definitely put us in touching distance. As we've seen to our cost, where you land in 2nd-4th isn't all that definitive for playoff success. Just get there. 

And if we could get there before the final day visit to Meadowbank, that'd be just swell. 

This is the key bit. Going there needing a result gives me the fear, so if we can turn up and play Hutton, Byrd, McGregor and Dom Kavanagh knowing we have a top four spot secured then I'll be delighted. I also have no intention on going back to Meadowbank unless I have to, so a meaningless game (for us at least) would be ideal.

26 minutes ago, Mr November said:

This is the key bit. Going there needing a result gives me the fear, so if we can turn up and play Hutton, Byrd, McGregor and Dom Kavanagh knowing we have a top four spot secured then I'll be delighted. I also have no intention on going back to Meadowbank unless I have to, so a meaningless game (for us at least) would be ideal.

I totally agree with wanting the playoffs cemented before that last game but I feel the game will never be meaningless as we need to hand Edinburgh an absolute tanking after the games against them so far and the attitude they have shown to us. 

18 minutes ago, DiamondT said:

I totally agree with wanting the playoffs cemented before that last game but I feel the game will never be meaningless as we need to hand Edinburgh an absolute tanking after the games against them so far and the attitude they have shown to us. 

Personally if we've already confirmed the playoffs by the time we play Edinburgh I'm really not interested what the score is that day.

9 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Heard from a reliable source that McMaster is signed up for next season.

If this is accurate, that we are forward planning and signing young laddies for next season, it begs the question why the f**k have we not got Gal signed up yet?

9 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Difficult one at the moment as it's very much league dependent but we'd have a chance of keeping Frizz and Smith if we get promotion. Gal's part time status may keep him here but I'd be surprised if Josh Rae remains, even if we go up, as I'm sure he'll be off to better things.

Josh Rae has to sign an extension to his contract for the club to pay for his shoulder operation. If he's going to leave it will be on the clubs terms.

1 hour ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

If this is accurate, that we are forward planning and signing young laddies for next season, it begs the question why the f**k have we not got Gal signed up yet?

Josh Rae has to sign an extension to his contract for the club to pay for his shoulder operation. If he's going to leave it will be on the clubs terms.

For all we know Gallagher has already agreed an extension, remember last year it turned out Watson had agreed his extension months before we announced it? The club has a habit of being very secretive with regard to player contracts.

The guy that told me heard from a St Mirren connection btw, and the same guy told me the exact date Jamieson was returning to St Mirren a week before it happened so I do trust him, just don't expect any more itk posts from me because I'm all out.

7 hours ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Delighted if he stays as he looks a class above this level but it will depend on how much another club wants him.

7 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

For all we know Gallagher has already agreed an extension, remember last year it turned out Watson had agreed his extension months before we announced it? The club has a habit of being very secretive with regard to player contracts.

The guy that told me heard from a St Mirren connection btw, and the same guy told me the exact date Jamieson was returning to St Mirren a week before it happened so I do trust him, just don't expect any more itk posts from me because I'm all out.

LJ has been offered a contract at St Mirren but nothing on any of the St Mirren pages to say he's signed it.

Only a 1-0 win last weekend. What went wrong! I'd take any victory for us right now but that's another story and one I'd rather not talk about :( 

4 straight wins for the Diamonds and finding form in the last quarter. Will be a force in the playoffs, hopefully see you there in the final.   

12 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Only a 1-0 win last weekend. What went wrong! I'd take any victory for us right now but that's another story and one I'd rather not talk about :( 

4 straight wins for the Diamonds and finding form in the last quarter. Will be a force in the playoffs, hopefully see you there in the final.   

Good to hear from you and indeed a one goal win is a win I've kept an eye on the Championship and it looks bad for your prospects of avoiding automatic relegation although Hamilton getting thumped would please many! Should it be play offs I'd be happy to match up again.

Cheers 

9 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Good to hear from you and indeed a one goal win is a win I've kept an eye on the Championship and it looks bad for your prospects of avoiding automatic relegation although Hamilton getting thumped would please many! Should it be play offs I'd be happy to match up again.

Cheers 

Last 3 months have been unimaginably poor and confidence is complete shot, all after a relatively comfortable first half of the season. A win could restore some belief and pride but games are running out and now looks like 9th is the best outcome for us. Could be straight down and back to L1, who knows.

Diamonds looking strong all over the pitch. Goals coming from multiple players and positions. Keep that first XI fit then there is no reason why this can't be your year to make it up. Decent options from the bench too. All about momentum and belief going into the playoff matches. Will be looking very closely at the results and performances in the last 6 round of fixtures.

2 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Cheers 

For reasons of petty vengeance I'd relish the chance to go up at the expense of Cove, but it is looking very perilous for you at the moment. Accies no great shakes either, but 10th place must be looming large in your horizon. 

YUUGE game on Saturday between the two, and for all of us playoff contenders watching on. 

18 hours ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Smith didn't do much on sat ,think this is his level ,good luck to him if he moves,

7 hours ago, AndyDD said:

For reasons of petty vengeance I'd relish the chance to go up at the expense of Cove, but it is looking very perilous for you at the moment. Accies no great shakes either, but 10th place must be looming large in your horizon. 

YUUGE game on Saturday between the two, and for all of us playoff contenders watching on. 

It's always been so close between us, a few last minute decisive/cruel moments. Given current form Airdrie would be favourites.

Accies winning tonight now mounts huge pressure on us on Saturday. We might not get the chance to meet in the playoffs.

Good luck with the remaining games and signing up your key players for next season.

7 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Was the return of Hartley a mistake?

Definitely (in hindsight). A second stint is rarely as successful or even works out and so it's proven this time around. He had a tough job with Max Johnston, Jack Sanders and Charlie Gilmour all returning to parent clubs, Fyvie and Yule long term injury and needing to do a rebuild in a tight winter window. 

He failed miserably on the latter. Many want him gone but a 3.5 year deal was given. Nepotism at its finest. 

McIntyre would have struggled to in the second half but might have kept us up. 

Genuinely great to see McCabe going well. Could have gone south but he's coped more than admirably which is no mean feat at his age and still playing week in and week out. Certainly got players playing for him which is more than can be said for our gang.

11 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Definitely (in hindsight). A second stint is rarely as successful or even works out and so it's proven this time around. He had a tough job with Max Johnston, Jack Sanders and Charlie Gilmour all returning to parent clubs, Fyvie and Yule long term injury and needing to do a rebuild in a tight winter window. 

He failed miserably on the latter. Many want him gone but a 3.5 year deal was given. Nepotism at its finest. 

McIntyre would have struggled to in the second half but might have kept us up. 

Genuinely great to see McCabe going well. Could have gone south but he's coped more than admirably which is no mean feat at his age and still playing week in and week out. Certainly got players playing for him which is more than can be said for our gang.

And last night's result will have made the prospects even tougher.

Rhys's task was to get us at least the playoffs so I'm nervously optimistic. 

14 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

It's always been so close between us, a few last minute decisive/cruel moments. Given current form Airdrie would be favourites.

Accies winning tonight now mounts huge pressure on us on Saturday. We might not get the chance to meet in the playoffs.

Good luck with the remaining games and signing up your key players for next season.

Very true, both in the playoff semi during the covid season where we squeezed through, and most of last season, too, when Cove ended up worthy winners. I'm surprised it has been such a difficult transition for Cove when making the step up, but looks like losing Fyvie in particular has been huge, not to mention the summer loss of Milne. 

Selfishly I was hoping Accies wouldn't overcome Cove at this fairly late stage; I'd rather the team dropping into the playoffs had failed to finish 3rd bottom, rather than succeeded in escaping dead last. I think there's a significant psychological difference there. 

Must win for you now at the weekend, one imagines. Last chance saloon, d'you reckon?

Thanks, hopefully we can get what we need in the remaining fixtures to clinch a playoff, and then you just take your chances from there.