The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Credit where it's due,  McCabe got full marks today in really a must win game,    back to basic defending, keeping a much higher line than recently ,  simple stuff really,    ATS who has never let us down, strolled it  alongside a happier Fordyce at right centre half,   an energetic midfield Frizz back to his best (helped. By the high line)....

K elty were very poor and we passed through them with ease, although you have to be clinical and we were,  Gabby getting a,well earned hat trick( what a move fo r our third goal). Gals goal was su blime.

also nice to see subs taking place calmly and efficiently unlike the normal shambles,  got so me game time into the legs of Stanway and Sal.which will help going forward....

that's us on 43 points ,Allo a and  Edinburgh on 45,   what is the target to get in the playoffs I am thinking 58 or 59

1 hour ago, Mr November said:

I had a quick look back and I think the last time we scored six in a standard league game was when we beat Alloa 6-0 in 2007. I remember Stuart Noble running the show that day. It’s certainly been a long time coming!

Stuart Noble: there's a blast from the past. Big strong striker but no Cal Gal!

Did he also play for Alloa at some time? Need to Google.

8 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Stuart Noble: there's a blast from the past. Big strong striker but no Cal Gal!

Did he also play for Alloa at some time? Need to Google.

I think he went on loan to Alloa towards the end of his time at Airdrie and then went there permanently at some point too, presumably straight after his loan spell. Allan Russell scored that day too, him and Gal is the dreamy, goalscoring front two we deserve.

2 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

The one that gets me is how our 3 results against Edinburgh have affected our season (and theirs). If you reversed our 3 results against them we'd be sitting 3rd, 14 points clear of 5th place, play-offs all but assured. Edinburgh would be down in 7th with nothing to play for.

I know anyone can have 'what ifs' etc but it shows the impact that just 3 games has had. It should also give us optimism for the run-in that their results against the rest of the league are much worse than ours, so we should be able to arrive at the last game of the season having overtaken them of we can put a few results together.

The dream is to have the play-offs secured by that last game and go there* and just play Alan Gow’s Rugrats, Hutton, and Dixon. 

*Or not go as is probably a better use of your time than going to Meadowbank. 

Feels like this season has finally been the time when the entire support appreciate what Gallagher brings. There's been a core of us on here who have been saying for a while what an important player he is to have at this level, but there's always been a few doubters and even at the start of this season I remember some fans on here saying we needed a better striker to get promoted. It's certainly not that area of the pitch that has cost us.

He's already reached the guaranteed 15 goals a season and joint top scorer, plus has numerous assists. And as I always say he (for some reason) doesn't take penalties, if he did you could add another 3 or 4 goals a season to his tallies (even with an average conversion rate).

It's also weird how 90% of his goals are the most goalpoacher type goals you can imagine from around the 6 yard line, yet he's scored incredible goals for us. Yesterday obviously, the overhead kick against Clyde a few years back. Even goals like his flick last week and chip against Falkirk are quality. Regardless of what league we're in he'd be the first name I'd be trying to keep.

13 hours ago, Mr November said:

I had a quick look back and I think the last time we scored six in a standard league game was when we beat Alloa 6-0 in 2007. I remember Stuart Noble running the show that day. It’s certainly been a long time coming!

Did we not beat Forfar 6-0 in 2014 in the Gary Bollan era? Might’ve been 5-0 but 6-0 springs to mind!

22 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Feels like this season has finally been the time when the entire support appreciate what Gallagher brings. There's been a core of us on here who have been saying for a while what an important player he is to have at this level, but there's always been a few doubters and even at the start of this season I remember some fans on here saying we needed a better striker to get promoted. It's certainly not that area of the pitch that has cost us.

He's already reached the guaranteed 15 goals a season and joint top scorer, plus has numerous assists. And as I always say he (for some reason) doesn't take penalties, if he did you could add another 3 or 4 goals a season to his tallies (even with an average conversion rate).

It's also weird how 90% of his goals are the most goalpoacher type goals you can imagine from around the 6 yard line, yet he's scored incredible goals for us. Yesterday obviously, the overhead kick against Clyde a few years back. Even goals like his flick last week and chip against Falkirk are quality. Regardless of what league we're in he'd be the first name I'd be trying to keep.

He scored a great lob from 25 yards against Bohemians early on too, only to then not score from outside the box again until Dundee last year. As much as most of his goals are still within the six yard box, he scores far too many from just being in the right place at the right time for it to be coincidental. It’s the kind of thing you can’t really teach, just a natural instinct to know where the ball will land. It’s been really under appreciated the last few years so I’m delighted he’s getting the credit he deserves.

The best strikers in this league in recent years have been guys like Megginson who on ability just shouldn’t be playing at this level but even then, Gallagher was always the best of the rest. As I said the other day, he’s added so much to his game and is now undoubtedly the best forward in the league.  He’s the nailed on POTY for me and someone I’d build the team around.

38 minutes ago, Mr November said:

He scored a great lob from 25 yards against Bohemians early on too, only to then not score from outside the box again until Dundee last year. As much as most of his goals are still within the six yard box, he scores far too many from just being in the right place at the right time for it to be coincidental. It’s the kind of thing you can’t really teach, just a natural instinct to know where the ball will land. It’s been really under appreciated the last few years so I’m delighted he’s getting the credit he deserves.

The best strikers in this league in recent years have been guys like Megginson who on ability just shouldn’t be playing at this level but even then, Gallagher was always the best of the rest. As I said the other day, he’s added so much to his game and is now undoubtedly the best forward in the league.  He’s the nailed on POTY for me and someone I’d build the team around.

I'd actually disagree regarding Megginson. I can't be bothered going back to look but on this thread at the start of the season I discussed this with someone who claimed we needed a Megginson or McAllister type to get promoted. Gallagher outscored both of them last year from non-penalty goals. Cove got an insane amount of penalties and they both scored about 5 or 6 each which topped their tallies up considerably. I'm not discounting penalties all together as they no doubt earned a lot of them and potentially were denied goals from foul play. But if Gallagher had hit penalties he'd have outscored them both (unless he's as bad as the rest of the team at penalties!). Given how bad our penalty record is I don't get why he doesn't.

Megginson's career record with everyone apart from Cove is pretty awful and the vast majority of his goals have been League 1 level and mainly League 2. McAllister was too good for years but the last few years has tailed off, as his record this season shows, and Megginson scoring 7 goals for Cove suggests that upper League 1 is probably his level too. What separated Cove last year was having 2 players like that, whereas we only had 1.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

14 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I'd actually disagree regarding Megginson. I can't be bothered going back to look but on this thread at the start of the season I discussed this with someone who claimed we needed a Megginson or McAllister type to get promoted. Gallagher outscored both of them last year from non-penalty goals. Cove got an insane amount of penalties and they both scored about 5 or 6 each which topped their tallies up considerably. I'm not discounting penalties all together as they no doubt earned a lot of them and potentially were denied goals from foul play. But if Gallagher had hit penalties he'd have outscored them both (unless he's as bad as the rest of the team at penalties!). Given how bad our penalty record is I don't get why he doesn't.

Megginson's career record with everyone apart from Cove is pretty awful and the vast majority of his goals have been League 1 level and mainly League 2. McAllister was too good for years but the last few years has tailed off, as his record this season shows, and Megginson scoring 7 goals for Cove suggests that upper League 1 is probably his level too. What separated Cove last year was having 2 players like that, whereas we only had 1.

Yeah that’s fair, I think he was and still is a better goalscorer. I think Megginson had a lot more to his game than Gallagher did over the last couple of seasons to be fair but I certainly won’t argue in terms of goalscoring, and I’d choose Gallagher now over him any day.

15 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Excellent Curry to complete a great day out. 

Can’t make a post like this and then not enlighten us as to what curry house you visited.

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Scoring with his boabby against Montrose was a big highlight.

13 hours ago, Passionate said:

that's us on 43 points ,Allo a and  Edinburgh on 45,   what is the target to get in the playoffs I am thinking 58 or 59

Our next 2 games are against Peterhead and Clyde but so are Alloa's but I would be surprised if we both take 6 points. They'll be slip ups on the run in for all but our results against Alloa & Edinburgh will ultimately decide as they would definitely be must not lose games if not must win.

History shows that 58 points would normally be more than enough.

3 hours ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Can’t make a post like this and then not enlighten us as to what curry house you visited.

Scoring with his boabby against Montrose was a big highlight.

In general it's take aways. 

Clarkston Spices if you like a good bite in the curry.

Chapelhall Spices has great Samosas and the usual great range.

As to local curry shops, I like the Shimla in Coatbridge and a new one to me, Mango in Haggs near Bonnybridge.

Been a curry consumer since eating in the Green Gates on Bank Street at Glasgow Uni. in 1966.

Really good after Cal Gals wonder.

17 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Been a curry consumer since eating in the Green Gates on Bank Street at Glasgow Uni. in 1966.

Shish Mahal (originally Gibson Street and now Park Rd) was always a favourite of mine and the same family as Green Gates of which I'm not old enough to remember.

43 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Shish Mahal (originally Gibson Street and now Park Rd) was always a favourite of mine and the same family as Green Gates of which I'm not old enough to remember.

I'm certainly the age to have experienced the Shish in both venues. There was also the Kohinoor, (Rasul family?) which had to shut when the building collapsed and the Shalimar of Mr Ali . Great street and the claim to have created Chicken Tikka Masala, although it's not my favourite. 

You're making me nostalgic and hungry.