The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

1 hour ago, Tory Boy said:

I think you've always got to be cautious about other fans views on players. It sometimes just doesn't work out for certain players at certain clubs. We've signed players in the past that have had a good reputation and they've been useless with us. Conversely, we've signed players that other fans think are rubbish and they've been decent with us. Just have to wait and see how they pan out and hope that Murray & Miller have got it right. 

Totally, the criticism of guys before they have even kicked a ball for us ridiculous.

At this level how effective a player is is completely dependent on the system. We've had players like Jim Lister who had no obvious technical attributes but what was fantastic for us because we played to his strengths. We've also had Conroy, who in terms of technique and ability was probably the most talented in the squad over the last two years, but was completely ineffective. You'll have guys who looked hopeless at other clubs because they just didn't suit that style of play, yet when they go to a club that plays to their strengths they are really effective (Alan Trouten is the one that always springs to mind). Or players have a bad start, the confidence goes and then they can't get it back. All the more reason why slating someone before they've kicked a ball is completely stupid.

A lot of the guys we have signed have played at a higher level, albeit briefly for some, which at least shows they have something about them and if we can get them in the right system with confidence they could be effective. I'd much rather take a chance on guys like that than last year's crop, who were all the most League One-y of League One players imaginable and were never going to have enough to get us any more than slap in the middle of League One.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

Got pumped 5-0 by Queens but that's not the point....we were there.

Mate, you’re taunting us for not being in the play offs. You got leathered. As a result you’re in the same league as us. Therefore who actually cares and what does it matter. And btw, if we’d made the play offs at your expense I’m sure the end result would have been the exact same.
The play offs aren’t success when they end in abject failure.

9 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

That many new signing's what MacDonald is that !!!

The ex Motherwell reserves captain. He's a right wing back and apart from Robbie Leighton (and maybe some of the young boys), I don't think we have another right-back signed. So unless we sign one I assume he's going to be playing there. 

9 hours ago, Moon said:

8 hours ago, Moon said:

I've totally lost the place with who would be first team or reserves :lol:

Wish I could just relax and enjoy the signing news like everybody else but last year still looms large....I was totally taken in with the positive comments about the squad we had assembled etc so I'm waiting till I see them with my own eyes this time. It's the hope that kills you.

Also amazing the contrast between the on the field stuff and off the field stuff. And that's ignoring the Trust side of things.

Still, looks really promising but maybe still needing a striker? Carrick, Gallagher, Roy, Cammy Russell(?) for the first team?

Going by the squad list on the official site I think the squads will look something like: 

First team squad -

Scott Gallacher 

David Hutton 

Sean Crighton 

Adam Eckersley 

Josh Edwards 

Callum Fordyce 

Kyle MacDonald 

Dean Hawkshaw 

Kieran Millar 

Kurtis Roberts 

Craig Thomson 

Nat Wedderburn 

Dale Carrick 

Calum Gallagher 

Ally Roy 

Cammy Russell 

Reserve squad - 

Andrew McNeil (gk)

Reece Willison (gk) 

Joshua Burke (Def) 

Scott Dunn (Def) 

Jonathan Kavanagh (Def) 

Robbie Leighton (Def) 

Arran Ross (Def) 

Andrew Barrowman (Mid) 

Aidan Meechan (Mid) 

James Hughes (Fwd) 

Patrick Pyott (Fwd) 

Scott Thomson (Fwd)

My understanding though is that everybody is essentially in one 'senior squad' and that things will be fluid between the reserves and the first team if you perform well enough in training and in games. 

I wouldn't say no to another striker. Gallagher and Carrick are good players but I wouldn't think are twenty goals a season men, Russell looks like a good prospect but is still very raw while Roy, hasn't been prolific in his career so far, but is a bit of an unknown quantity. That being said they might be happy to go with the four strikers signed up. And if Murray and Millar can play a system that plays to all their strengths, whichever combination they play could turn out to be fruitful. It's happened before with us and other players that weren't rated by fans of their previous clubs and I dare say it will happen again. I'd like another centre-half as we only have Crighton and Fordyce signed there, unless they feel Ross and/or any of the other 'reserve' players are ready for the step up. 

Edited by airdrieman

I suppose when you think about it McIntosh was on paper our 3rd choice striker, possibly dropped to 4th when Victoria hit his purple patch at the start of the season and ended up being our first choice so it's entirely possible that the 4 that we have will be fine/someone will surprise us.

Mate, you’re taunting us for not being in the play offs. You got leathered. As a result you’re in the same league as us. Therefore who actually cares and what does it matter. And btw, if we’d made the play offs at your expense I’m sure the end result would have been the exact same.
The play offs aren’t success when they end in abject failure.

Not sure if you are joking but three seasons ago Montrose were one game from going out the league completely which they would have struggled to come back from. They then won the league despite not being expected to. They were then predicted to finish bottom of the league and get relegated. They absolutely should celebrate getting into the play offs. Had it not been for Stephen Dobbie then they might have gone up.

I really don’t think we should be looking to slag any club especially Montrose who are one of the best run clubs in Scotland.

Not sure if you are joking but three seasons ago Montrose were one game from going out the league completely which they would have struggled to come back from. They then won the league despite not being expected to. They were then predicted to finish bottom of the league and get relegated. They absolutely should celebrate getting into the play offs. Had it not been for Stephen Dobbie then they might have gone up.

I really don’t think we should be looking to slag any club especially Montrose who are one of the best run clubs in Scotland.
Well said sir

4 hours ago, Aufc said:

Thank you for your kind words. Couldn't agree more and thank you for reminding other fans of our rise!