The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

On 08/02/2023 at 18:30, Kenny_m said:

Don't think anyone has suggested he should.

Someone suggested Ballantyne at left back with Watson or Byrd coming in for a bit more defensive solidity. It’s not necessarily a terrible idea but you’ve got to trust the players you’ve got in their best positions, especially when they’ve been consistently improving like Deveney has.

I honestly think our best bet is to go and try to dominate the game and attack from the off anyway. Dunfermline haven’t had a great deal of firepower but they’ve been solid and have consistently got good results. Don’t think a cautious approach would get us anywhere.

2 hours ago, She who dares gins said:

Can’t say I’m feeling overly confident about this tomorrow. Dunfermline have absolutely cracked what it takes to get out this league. Consistency and being tough to beat. Have we shown enough to think we can break that run of form. I’m not sure: just don’t have a good feeling about this double header but I really want to be wrong. 

'Expect the worst and anything better is an added bonus' think that's the expression.

Agree 100% about what you said about Dunfermline they have pretty much worked out what it takes to get out of league 1.

I'm feeling pretty relaxed about tomorrow, I'm usually nervous when playing against teams we should be beating (Clyde, Peterhead etc) rather than a team that's top of the league.

I think it will be a 1-1 draw similar to the last game but I want to be wrong and I'm hoping for a home win. 🤞 

Edited by David Fernández

14 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

I'm feeling pretty relaxed about tomorrow, I'm usually nervous when playing against teams we should be beating (Clyde, Peterhead etc) rather than a team that's top of the league.

Totally agree I feel our style suits playing against the teams who try to play to win rather than those who are there to frustrate with a hopeful chance of a counter attack

2 hours ago, David Fernández said:

'Expect the worst and anything better is an added bonus' think that's the expression.

Agree 100% about what you said about Dunfermline they have pretty much worked out what it takes to get out of league 1.

I think it will be a 1-1 draw similar to the last game but I want to be wrong and I'm hoping for a home win. 🤞 

Yes - don’t get my hopes up and then I can’t be disappointed.

Reading some people worried about the match up of Devenny v Mcdonald. Definitely Think Devenny has come a long way this season and merits his position. Most improved player award goes to him, so far, IMO. 

What worries me more is ATS being in beside him. He's not the quickest and think he sometimes dithers on the ball. Has got away with it against weaker opposition. Not sure he will against Dunfermline so if he starts, which I think he will, he needs to be more decisive and move the ball on quicker. Even if that's just a punt up the park to clear his lines. 

Can also see Smith dropping even deeper today to help out. His work rate is superb and he's definitely developed more of a defensive support mentality this season. Just hope that he equally gets forward and pushes them back as well. 

4 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

What worries me more is ATS being in beside him. He's not the quickest and think he sometimes dithers on the ball. Has got away with it against weaker opposition. Not sure he will against Dunfermline so if he starts, which I think he will, he needs to be more decisive and move the ball on quicker. Even if that's just a punt up the park to clear his lines. 

I'm sure Rhys has mulled over replacing ATS with Watson today as it looks the only possible change to last weeks starting 11, assuming all are fit of course. Personally it would be Watson for me, perhaps a little harsh on ATS as he's been fine the last few games.

I'm keen to see Lachie in a centre back but probably that's not for today!

9 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Knew as soon as the red card came out that we were going to be very lucky to salvage a point. How many times is that we’ve went a man down and McCabe & Fordyce have made totally the wrong changes. There’s a reason we’re not any higher than third.

11v11 showed we’re every bit as good as (if not better than) the league leaders, but we’ve got absolutely no bottle. Wrong subs and tactics with 10 men but honestly, it’s even worse than us crumbling after a red card, we’ve crumbled every time we’ve gave away a penalty.

2 minutes ago, G_&_T said:

Ouch, guys! I just followed the scoreline, and that must have been sore.

Clearly the penalty and sending off changed the game, hopefully neither were controversial.

Didn’t get a good look but it came from a free kick given the wrong way. Doesn’t really matter because we shouldn’t be crumbling that easy with a 3 goal lead regardless.

Just now, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Didn’t get a good look but it came from a free kick given the wrong way. Doesn’t really matter because we shouldn’t be crumbling that easy with a 3 goal lead regardless.

Didn't the sending off occur at the penalty incident? If they convert that it's a two goal lead, surely? Ten men against the top-of-the-league side brimming with confidence...that's the sort of recipe for this sort of comeback, I'm afraid. 

Still, harsh. 😔

17 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

11v11 showed we’re every bit as good as (if not better than) the league leaders, but we’ve got absolutely no bottle. Wrong subs and tactics with 10 men but honestly, it’s even worse than us crumbling after a red card, we’ve crumbled every time we’ve gave away a penalty.

7 minutes ago, G_&_T said:

Didn't the sending off occur at the penalty incident? If they convert that it's a two goal lead, surely? Ten men against the top-of-the-league side brimming with confidence...that's the sort of recipe for this sort of comeback, I'm afraid. 

Still, harsh. 😔

Who is to blame for that,we just can't seem to be able to adjust and see a game out , happens to many times ,

16 minutes ago, G_&_T said:

Still, harsh. 😔

Yeah basically a two goal lead with ten men but we still bottled a three goal lead since we were 3-0 up before that incident.

Posted this on the match thread:

“My main concern in that second half was the coaching situation. I praised McCabe a few days ago and think despite some notable lows he’s done a pretty good job so far. However, the whole time I, and most others, have said we clearly need a better coaching structure on the bench. Hutton and Prunty are popular with fans but they don’t actually do anything meaningful other than the former making an arse of himself with the opposition dugout. There seemed to be a lot of confusion between McCabe, Fordyce and the dugout for a good 10 minutes over what subs to make. Fordyce shouted for Devenny well before Dunfermline’s second goal yet the confusion led to him coming on directly after it. It’s the sort of thing that you get away with when you win but it was a clear issue today.”

It is a concern that we seem to crumble as soon as things get tough. We don’t drop many points at home but bar maybe Peterhead, all the games we have done so have been because of not being able to handle a tough situation. Big job to pick the players up for a tough few games ahead.

McCabe’s Airdrie bottle-merchants once again? Surely not? No chance that team is winning a play-off. Completely crumble in any sort of pressure situation. 

Dreadful game management (again) and substitutions (again). Embarrassing to try and see out the game with literally no proper centre forward. What on earth was the game plan there? Punt up long balls to waif-thin McGregor that he was never going to win? Ridiculous and meant we had no presence in their half at all. Didn’t mind Devenny coming on but Stanway should have been on too. It looked like he was meant to so clearly there was also confusion there as @Mr November alluded to. Big Byrd on before Watson was a bold call. 

I agree with the posts above.   We don't seem to be able to change shape and still don't have anyone on the bench that can come on and impact a game.  At 3-2 everyone around me was saying the defence needed to change.  We just looked more and more nervous as the game went on.   And now we lose smith for 3 games.