The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

15 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Yup, never believe what's in the papers. 528b42ed36dd68a0c9f68cb49929ab0c.jpg

Pretty poor from Muzz that, he could easily have swerved it - but given every man and their dog in G82 knew that Calum would be an Airdrie player next season flat-out denying it is a bit weird.

Honestly, you guys are wildly overreacting to Wedderburn and I say that as someone who didn’t rate him with us before it was cool.

He’ll be fine for the most part. Some of you will even like him. Generally keeps possession, strong, tries his best. He was just too slow for the system we played.

Just now, Broken Algorithms said:

If you're 1-0 up with 3 minutes to go and want someone to hold off for players at a corner flag then Nat is your man. He's exceptional in tight spaces for a big guy. Other than that he's one of the slowest midfielders in the league.

He'll suit the pace of our midfield play then.

Honestly, you guys are wildly overreacting to Wedderburn and I say that as someone who didn’t rate him with us before it was cool.

He’ll be fine for the most part. Some of you will even like him. Generally keeps possession, strong, tries his best. He was just too slow for the system we played.

Absolute dud slower than me and I am 70 plus.

I think he'll be great for us, we constantly lost possession in midfield last season, he holds the ball up better than most. Not the quickest but he rarely mis-places a pass and as Murray says...will bring a real presence to midfield, something sadly lacking last year.

Expect the DoF and manager to have assessed these new signings along with other squad players so far. Is that it for the squad then? Interested to see a team on the park. Unlike others on here I've no intimate knowledge of each of the new signings or how they'd meld into a team so willing to wait and see. Will Wedderburn and miller play in the same team with Hawkshaw? 3 or 4 at the back?  Gallagher Roy and Carrick up front seems a quick forward line. A lot of changes so be interesting to see how it works up . Any news of Page and Conroy

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

A Tad ,  not  what's required,   we are in the hunt for Doolan and then unveil Ally Roy,   did the same player not go AWOL at Thistle at the end of last seas on.   Our strikeforce currently consists of Roy, Carrick and Russell hardly inspiring us  to get season tickets

Doolan would have been a cracking signing but with clubs at a higher level making him offers it was always unlikely he was going to sign for us. Glad the club went for him though, says a lot about our ambitions. Roy never really seems to have set the heather alight anywhere he's went but maybe a run of games at a low level of football will give him the confidence to kick on. It's certainly the last chance for him to make an impression at a full-time level. Thistle fans don't like him which means I like him already. 

1 hour ago, John Kyles Wunderpants said:

Callum Gallagher signed

Good signing that IMO. A hard-working player and although he's maybe not a 20-goal a season striker still a decent enough finisher at this level. A good replacement for Leighton McIntosh and hopefully better. As the post above says Gallagher, Carrick and Roy will work defences hard. 

I think Wedderburn is a good signing too. I know Raith fans don't seem to rate him but Dunfermline fans speak quite highly of him and he's spent most of his career so far at a higher level. He's definitely an upgrade on Millar and Gallagher and if he can pass a ball and retain possession, which even Raith fans admit he can, then he's certainly better than anyone we've had in the midfield for the last couple of seasons. I would expect Roberts, Hawkshaw and Millar will be doing most of the running in midfield. If they do that and let Nat do his thing he should be fine. 

I know we were rumoured to be signing Craig Barr but it looks like he's signing for Cowdenbeath. Interestingly, while it could be nothing, Chris Kane (the ex East Fife player) liked the club's tweet about us signing Wedderburn...

Edited by airdrieman

8 minutes ago, goodwin said:

Expect the DoF and manager to have assessed these new signings along with other squad players so far. Is that it for the squad then? Interested to see a team on the park. Unlike others on here I've no intimate knowledge of each of the new signings or how they'd meld into a team so willing to wait and see. Will Wedderburn and miller play in the same team with Hawkshaw? 3 or 4 at the back?  Gallagher Roy and Carrick up front seems a quick forward line. A lot of changes so be interesting to see how it works up . Any news of Page and Conroy

I would expect or hope for another defender/centre-half to come in as back-up for Crighton and Fordyce (maybe Chris Kane?). I wouldn't say no to another striker either. Page is rumoured to be signing for Stranraer. Haven't heard anything at all about Conroy. 

With the squad we have now I would lineup something like - 

Hutton 

MacDonald Fordyce Crighton Eckersley 

Wedderburn 

Roberts                                     Hawkshaw 

Carrick              Roy               Gallagher 

Subs - Edwards, Millar, C.Thomson, Russell, Gallacher, Ross/Leighton, Barrowman/S.Thomson.