The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

On 03/02/2023 at 12:03, AndyDD said:

Ayunga does appear to be out for some time now with a bad injury, so maybe that will play a part. 

I think we'd all take Jamieson back for the rest of the season, very good member of the squad for the first half of season and unplayable at times, but that said, if the front three continue to play like they did on Saturday and all stay fit, he'd do well to get in ahead of any of them. 

Jamieson didn't make the bench for St Mirren yesterday and the Manager's comments on his recall  were that he had to get stronger and fitter. On the face of it seems a strange decision.

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

Jamieson didn't make the bench for St Mirren yesterday and the Manager's comments on his recall  were that he had to get stronger and fitter. On the face of it seems a strange decision.

I noticed in McCabe’s post match interview yesterday, when talking about McGregor, he said he didn’t want players coming on off the bench feeling sorry for themselves. I did wonder if that was maybe a dig at Jamieson? There was obviously the incident at East End Park when he subbed him off before half-time and he seemed to be phased out the team towards the end. I’d still bring him on before any of Salim, Bright or Dixon. 

As for yesterday, the only enjoyable part of the day was Bobby Watson and Tommy Duncan on the park at half-time. But important to get the 3 points and it sets us up nicely for next week. Looking forward to it. 

2 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

I noticed in McCabe’s post match interview yesterday, when talking about McGregor, he said he didn’t want players coming on off the bench feeling sorry for themselves. I did wonder if that was maybe a dig at Jamieson? There was obviously the incident at East End Park when he subbed him off before half-time and he seemed to be phased out the team towards the end. I’d still bring him on before any of Salim, Bright or Dixon. 

As for yesterday, the only enjoyable part of the day was Bobby Watson and Tommy Duncan on the park at half-time. But important to get the 3 points and it sets us up nicely for next week. Looking forward to it. 

Perhaps you are correct as his body language didn't appear great at times.

Just to be clear, the "stronger and fitter" comments were from the St Mirren manager.

19 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

I don’t think he’ll start next week but McGregor’s ability to pin back Josh Edwards could be pivotal. Based on the little I’ve seen of Dunfermline, their best chances and bits of play come through Edwards. 

Nope, nope not at all. 

34 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

I don’t think he’ll start next week but McGregor’s ability to pin back Josh Edwards could be pivotal. Based on the little I’ve seen of Dunfermline, their best chances and bits of play come through Edwards. 

The worry is Kyle McDonald bullying Euan at left back that he done at east end park 

wouldn’t mind ballantyne Left back and Byrd or jammy right back next week for more defensive awareness at the back 

1 hour ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

The worry is Kyle McDonald bullying Euan at left back that he done at east end park 

wouldn’t mind ballantyne Left back and Byrd or jammy right back next week for more defensive awareness at the back 

Yeh Deveney got an absolute roasting that day and frankly didn't look good enough. I've been critical of him but there is no doubt he has improved as the season has progressed (and one of the first names on the team sheet) and hopefully he will prove that in these next 2 games.

14 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Yeh Deveney got an absolute roasting that day and frankly didn't look good enough. I've been critical of him but there is no doubt he has improved as the season has progressed (and one of the first names on the team sheet) and hopefully he will prove that in these next 2 games.

it is fair to say that Edwards and MacDonald have 'bullied' most wingbacks this season, mainly due to the fact that they are Championship quality players. We should know, both of them have played for us.  I think that we will cause Dunfermline lots of problems with our quality however, and the games will come down to who is more clinical in the penalty box. We are third in the table for a reason and if the players don't 'turn up' for these two games then we really have a problem. Looking forward to Saturday as I think we will put in a good performance in front of what should be a good crowd.

15 hours ago, airdrieman said:

I wonder if our away game to Clyde at the end of March will be moved? Currently overlaps with the Scotland v Cyprus game. 

Most likely kick off time will be moved.   Did the same not happen last season and we moved the kick off to 1 o'clock?.

On 05/02/2023 at 17:15, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

I felt Euan had his number by the last quarter of the match, letting him head & dropping off rather than contesting the headers & has improved since not too worried about him at left back. Hopefully Ballantyne back to full fitness at RB (dropped off by end of Clyde match) & can contain Edwards.

Would go with McGill who gave them problems when came on last time & contributed to Fizz's goal, maybe bringing on McGregor if not working or last 20 mins to go at them if tight. 

Smith hopefully will up his game for this one.

32 minutes ago, CumbyDiamond said:

I felt Euan had his number by the last quarter of the match, letting him head & dropping off rather than contesting the headers & has improved since not too worried about him at left back

Difficult considering he was subbed by then.

Don’t think it would be fair to drop Deveney because he struggled against Dunfermline months ago. For the last couple of months he’s been one of our most consistent performers. It’s possible he might struggle on Saturday against stronger opposition but I’ve been very happy with his recent performances.

16 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Don’t think it would be fair to drop Deveney because he struggled against Dunfermline months ago. For the last couple of months he’s been one of our most consistent performers. It’s possible he might struggle on Saturday against stronger opposition but I’ve been very happy with his recent performances.

Don't think anyone has suggested he should.

Can’t say I’m feeling overly confident about this tomorrow. Dunfermline have absolutely cracked what it takes to get out this league. Consistency and being tough to beat. Have we shown enough to think we can break that run of form. I’m not sure: just don’t have a good feeling about this double header but I really want to be wrong. 

1 hour ago, She who dares gins said:

Can’t say I’m feeling overly confident about this tomorrow. Dunfermline have absolutely cracked what it takes to get out this league. Consistency and being tough to beat. Have we shown enough to think we can break that run of form. I’m not sure: just don’t have a good feeling about this double header but I really want to be wrong. 

Yip, despite the Falkirk fans getting excited its very likely that Dunfermline will win the league.

I wouldn't like to lose tomorrow, that would put us under extreme pressure given the next few fixtures. If we're at our best then we'll give them something to think about.

Note that Cammy B has done the match preview so that normally means he's starting which then suggests it either ATS or Watson in central defence.