The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Happy to see the content being received so well! 

As we said on Twitter, it's only as good as what we get from everyone who takes the time to talk to us! 

Video over 800 views already since this morning - more than twice the average! 

Check out the rest of series here:

https://www.youtube.com/@airdriefantv

See you in Kelty! 

Twitter | Instagram | YouTube - @AirdrieFanTV

8 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Forgot Easton’s penalty miss at Montrose so that’s actually at least 7 missed penalties in the last couple of seasons! 

The famous 'panenka' my old man actually caught the ball behind the goal that day and punted it away. He got a special mention on 'A View from the terrace' that's his claim to fame 😆

On 07/01/2023 at 09:54, Passionate said:

Rhys  mentioned in last week's post match interview, poor defending and the inability to stop crosses coming in,which has been a massive problem all season.  He says this will be addressed, pretty sure it will  be, if thats the case a box to box midfielder  isn't on the managers wishlist,,  which I am not convinced we need anyway, without a total change in formation,   (if one did turn up, who would you drop,don't say Telfer who seems to be the default button for the ills in that side)..

as I said before a consistent left back, I am confident we can get one on loan and a replacement for McGill who can pop up with a goal, but the technical side of his game is horrendous and offers no cover to  his full ba ck...

Very surprised if we don't sign a defender  within next couple of weeks, wouldn't be against giving young Dixon a chance with Gabby on bench, next week Kelty a bit  like Edinburgh fc  physical team  aswell  as a good bit  of  talent, 

The worry that I have regarding signing a centre back is that McCabe might get too obsessed with a ball-playing centre back since we like to play the ball out of defence. To me, the biggest issue is that too many crosses into our box are landing on the ground inside our 6 yard box. This should never happen, someone should be getting their head to the ball long before it lands. What we need is someone who can dominate in the air, and if all he does is hoof clearances up the park then so be it. Let the other 9 outfielders do the pretty stuff. 

2 minutes ago, Sage Monkey said:

The worry that I have regarding signing a centre back is that McCabe might get too obsessed with a ball-playing centre back since we like to play the ball out of defence. To me, the biggest issue is that too many crosses into our box are landing on the ground inside our 6 yard box. This should never happen, someone should be getting their head to the ball long before it lands. What we need is someone who can dominate in the air, and if all he does is hoof clearances up the park then so be it. Let the other 9 outfielders do the pretty stuff. 

I think most agree on this but to me it's someone to play along side Fordyce. It seems that if he doesn't get his head to it then nobody does.

1 hour ago, Sage Monkey said:

I'd agree. I've also never particularly got the need for a ball playing centre back when you have someone like McCabe playing as a deep lying playmaker. As long as they can pass the ball 5 yards to him or Telfer, and go direct when necessary, I don't see any need for any more than that. In Watson we already have someone who is decent on the ball for this level so that's not what we need.

As mentioned up the thread though more and more managers are now realising the value of an 'old school' centre back, which makes them very hard to find. It's a fine line between finding someone who is aggressive and strong in the air and not getting someone who is slow, immobile, and gets rings run round them by a small, tricky striker.

19 hours ago, AirdrieFanTV said:

Happy to see the content being received so well! 

As we said on Twitter, it's only as good as what we get from everyone who takes the time to talk to us! 

Video over 800 views already since this morning - more than twice the average! 

Check out the rest of series here:

https://www.youtube.com/@airdriefantv

See you in Kelty! 

Twitter | Instagram | YouTube - @AirdrieFanTV

I won't say which one was me. 

8 hours ago, Sage Monkey said:

So ATS then? 

Just now, Kenny_m said:

We never know at Airdrie.

Possibly nothing but apparently a few fans have heard we’re interested. Can’t see us paying a fee unless there’s some sort of clause allowing him to go to a club in a higher league. 

Can’t say I ever really rated him tbh. 

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Possibly nothing but apparently a few fans have heard we’re interested. Can’t see us paying a fee unless there’s some sort of clause allowing him to go to a club in a higher league. 

Can’t say I ever really rated him tbh. 

Played as a trialist for us in July but never signed until September as it seemed nothing better materialised, so entirely possible it was only a short term contract.

5 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Played as a trialist for us in July but never signed until September as it seemed nothing better materialised, so entirely possible it was only a short term contract.

Signed on 10h September on a unspecified contract length,    wouldn't surprise me if we was signed till the January window Lyness the same..

I would hate to think our season would come down to another poor transfer window...

45 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Let's be honest has ATS had a bad game since he s igned, probably ou r best defender in the games he has played and is always the one to drop out....

Give ATS a run of games....

I'm also an ATS truther. Admittedly I went in with low expectations but he's been absolutely fine in most games he's played and while it's a smaller sample size, hasn't made the same kind of calamitous mistakes that Watson, Fordyce, Ballantyne etc have. At the least he's had a better season than Fordyce anyway. 

Telfer leaving would be a strange one and definitely a blow. He had a slow start but I've been quite impressed with him on the whole. He's not really been what I expected, he hasn't offered too much in terms of goals or creativity but he gets about the park more than I expected and has quietly became a solid player for us. I was talking to someone at the Edinburgh game who mentioned Lyness was only signed until January so I suppose if that's the case Telfer could be on a short-term deal too.

39 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I'm also an ATS truther. Admittedly I went in with low expectations but he's been absolutely fine in most games he's played and while it's a smaller sample size, hasn't made the same kind of calamitous mistakes that Watson, Fordyce, Ballantyne etc have. At the least he's had a better season than Fordyce anyway. 

Telfer leaving would be a strange one and definitely a blow. He had a slow start but I've been quite impressed with him on the whole. He's not really been what I expected, he hasn't offered too much in terms of goals or creativity but he gets about the park more than I expected and has quietly became a solid player for us. I was talking to someone at the Edinburgh game who mentioned Lyness was only signed until January so I suppose if that's the case Telfer could be on a short-term deal too.

Not sure how much of a reliable source 'Transfermarkt' is but it says that both players are contracted to May 2023.

Out of the two players it would seem more likely that Lyness would be on a short term deal until January because of the goalie situation. I can't imagine us signing someone like Telfer on a short term 4 month contract. Would think he'd be signed up for the season.

Agree about Telfer, for whatever reason he divides opinion from our fans but I quite like him. If we are comparing him to Agnew I'd say he's an upgrade. Maybe fans dislike him because they have been reading the Falkirk forum or because he isn't Dylan Easton.

After the Peterhead game I'd stick him on penalties for the foreseeable, that will get his numbers up.

I rate ATS. I certainly wouldn’t say he’s the big physically dominant centre half I’d like to see (despite his height) but he’s hardly out a foot wrong in his few run outs. Nothing spectacular, but a steady defender that I’d like to see start more often.

As for rumours of Telfer leaving, I’d be surprised if he got a move to the Championship. He’s grown on me a bit recently after I initially wasn’t very impressed, but I don’t think he’s good enough for that step up. Does that mean I think Airdrie wouldn’t miss him? Absolutely not. If Telfer left Frizzell and McCabe would be our only midfielders that aren’t teenagers. I’d hope he was staying until the end of the season but if not we’d need to get the type of quality replacement that might not be available mid-season.