The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

29 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Joe Dixon has just came from the 10th tier of English football where couldn't get a game! (He forgot to mention it in his interview)McCabe has already suggested that he is for the future and therefore is unlikely to be involved. 

Jay Riley has already played a major parts in us dropping points.

Prince has never played a single pro game.

At least Ben Stanway has amassed 3 sub appearances!

Wotherspoon take 2

Good to know if manager is the one actually signing players, do they have to be 18, be interesting  to  see who comes off  the bench, 

I don't mind signing young players. If they're good enough they're old enough and indeed some of our younger players are performing better than their experienced counterparts. For instance, Fordyce is having a stinker, Murray Johnson is already 1000x the goalie Lyness is (admittedly Lyness isn't that experienced in terms of games played but you know what I mean) and Devenny and Deveney are showing up better than expected. Experience doesn't necessarily mean quality nor does youth necessarily mean naivety or being out of their depth. Admittedly I'm hugely unconvinced by Jay Riley and Joe Dixon not having any sort of CV or reputation in senior football is a concern. But I won't write the boy off yet. Hopefully he's a find. There's talent in this team and we're not far off being a side capable of promotion if we fix the glaring but fixable problems we have in the squad at the moment. Which makes these problems all the more frustrating! We're crying out for a midfield destroyer/shithouse, in the Marvyn Wilson/Martin Hardie mould (even a Paul Paton) and a proper old school centre-half (would love a Liam Fontaine, Jordan Forster or Kyle Benedictus type). They don't have to be but the profile of these sorts of players is usually that they're experienced so, while I'm happy to add youth, hopefully these positions are addressed. I'd be disappointed and concerned if they weren't. 

6 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

I don't mind signing young players. If they're good enough they're old enough and indeed some of our younger players are performing better than their experienced counterparts. For instance, Fordyce is having a stinker, Murray Johnson is already 1000x the goalie Lyness is (admittedly Lyness isn't that experienced in terms of games played but you know what I mean) and Devenny and Deveney are showing up better than expected. Experience doesn't necessarily mean quality nor does youth necessarily mean naivety or being out of their depth. Admittedly I'm hugely unconvinced by Jay Riley and Joe Dixon not having any sort of CV or reputation in senior football is a concern. But I won't write the boy off yet. Hopefully he's a find. There's talent in this team and we're not far off being a side capable of promotion if we fix the glaring but fixable problems we have in the squad at the moment. Which makes these problems all the more frustrating! We're crying out for a midfield destroyer/shithouse, in the Marvyn Wilson/Martin Hardie mould (even a Paul Paton) and a proper old school centre-half (would love a Liam Fontaine, Jordan Forster or Kyle Benedictus type). They don't have to be but the profile of these sorts of players is usually that they're experienced so, while I'm happy to add youth, hopefully these positions are addressed. I'd be disappointed and concerned if they weren't. 

They key thing is when you sign young players they have to be ready to step in and play. Like most Airdrie fans I have long since stopped caring about 'developing players' and 'giving young players a chance' etc. I am sick of this league and want out of it therefore my only concern is getting the best 11 on the pitch for the next game. As you say that can include young or old players, I couldn't care less.

My worry would be these 'one for the future' type phrases I'm now hearing, made all the more bizarre by then only giving this 'one for the future' a 5 month deal. If he genuinely was one for the future you'd presumably sign him until further in the future than May. The question is are these guys actually meant to be proper signings to help the first team, in which case it's very concerning. Or are they 'one for the future', in which case why are they only contracted until the summer? We'll see how it plays out but at the moment as a strategy it seems neither here nor there.

3 hours ago, She who dares gins said:

We should gather them all up and play a B team in the lowland league at this rate…

I believe I've made my feelings on B teams in senior leagues pretty well known on here and twitter. That would be the fucking end of me in an apoplectic rage.

2 hours ago, airdrieman said:

If the players we have were good enough, we wouldn't be 6th, regardless of age.

Also - at this stage of the season, if we aren't signing players who will start games rather than backfill considering where we are in the league, the club are doing it wrong.

I'd go further and posit that the current team are considerably weaker than any of the past 3 seasons squads

Edited by G_H

24 minutes ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

Already writing off a boy that’s just signed when does it ever change give the boy a chance atleast McCabe must see something in him if he has signed him only a week into the window and still plenty of time to go to get a couple more experienced heads in 

You might have a point there if the track record for McCabe signings this season actually improved the side in some way as opposed to ranging from abysmal to mediocre. Theyve generally been the level of rubbish I would expect to be signed to pad out the likes of Clyde's squad.

Regarding "plenty of time to get more". People played this same tune over the summer, and we ended up with a lightweight squad, with very few new signings who could be considered to be of reasonable quality, who have us where we are right now. Ergo - cynicism is well deserved regarding current player recruitment.

Thirdly - it is a complete and utter mystery as to why we need a forward heavy team (signing a 7th striker who cant get a game in England's 10th tier... really?..) when defensive capability is sorely undermanned and lacking in options, form and quality.

Edited by G_H

1 hour ago, Jack Reed said:

Think who ever tipped Dixon for Airdrie make yourself known, 

His da seems to know Jackie McNamara judging by his Twitter so… 🤷‍♂️ 

1 hour ago, G_H said:

If the players we have were good enough, we wouldn't be 6th, regardless of age.

Also - at this stage of the season, if we aren't signing players who will start games rather than backfill considering where we are in the league, the club are doing it wrong.

I'd go further and posit that the current team are considerably weaker than any of the past 3 seasons squads

The forwards and other individual players are more than capable of finishing in the top 4. The problem is the defence and goalie and the way the team is coached/set up. 

16 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

The forwards and other individual players are more than capable of finishing in the top 4. The problem is the defence and goalie and the way the team is coached/set up. 

Perhaps, which is why this bizarre signing montage of kids who won't be regulars in the first team when we need defensive competence requires a bit of a sanity check at the club.

12 minutes ago, G_H said:

Perhaps, which is why this bizarre signing montage of kids who won't be regulars in the first team when we need defensive competence requires a bit of a sanity check at the club.

Don’t disagree. Still early days in the transfer window so hopefully some positive movement RE a centre-half or two coming soon. 

10 hours ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

Already writing off a boy that’s just signed when does it ever change give the boy a chance atleast McCabe must see something in him if he has signed him only a week into the window and still plenty of time to go to get a couple more experienced heads in 

When did McCabe see him playing in a game? 

9 hours ago, G_H said:

Signing a 18year old is  fine signing 4 on the trot is  bizarre, what other team would do that, something very wrong with our set up,