The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

6 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Is ATS unfit or does McCabe just not like him? He’s never been left out a squad since signing just been an unused sub in a team that only makes one sub (if that) every week. I think he’d be a better option than Deveney at left back if I’m being honest.

A lot of us said in the summer we were only really bothered about losing Easton and obviously Murray from last season. Right now I’d do anything to have guys like Josh Kerr, Scott Agnew, Jordan Allan or Scott McGill available. 

I assumed he’s injured but is on the bench to make up the numbers or help out since he’s experienced. I don’t think he’s warmed up properly for the last few games, so must be the injury McCabe mentioned after the Edinburgh game. 

You’re bang on though. I think we all assumed we’d replace those players this summer but rather than brining in lesser players, we just haven’t replaced them at all. Jordan Allan isn’t a world beater but someone like him (or Salim) on the bench makes a big difference.

4 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Is ATS unfit or does McCabe just not like him? He’s never been left out a squad since signing just been an unused sub in a team that only makes one sub (if that) every week. I think he’d be a better option than Deveney at left back if I’m being honest.

A lot of us said in the summer we were only really bothered about losing Easton and obviously Murray from last season. Right now I’d do anything to have guys like Josh Kerr, Scott Agnew, Jordan Allan or Scott McGill available. 

Deveney's distribution is not becoming of a pro footballer and is an absolute bombskare!

I believe Kerr knew he wasn't getting a new contract with Murray therefore sought a new club.

Agnew is finished.

I thought we were going to replace Allan with a better option, seems not.

McGill, can't get in the Kelty side and will be freed from Hearts this summer but probably would be a starter for us, says it all really!

6 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Deveney's distribution is not becoming of a pro footballer and is an absolute bombskare!

I believe Kerr knew he wasn't getting a new contract with Murray therefore sought a new club.

Agnew is finished.

I thought we were going to replace Allan with a better option, seems not.

McGill, can't get in the Kelty side and will be freed from Hearts this summer but probably would be a starter for us, says it all really!

ATS is done as a footballer....you were well warned...legs gone...didn't get out his half for us

Again, its a not a great look for an individual who’s evidently employed by/represents the club taking to a forum in attempts to sling insults (aimed at the wrong account), troll and posture with “insider knowledge”.

Already posted in the match thread, but it was back to the slow, turgid, sideways & backwards football today which is a shame, but it was a good feeling when our goal went in. I think we were probably outmuscled by a typically “streetsmart & pragmatic” Jim McInally team, but they did show that they are at the bottom of the table for a reason.

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

That was diabolical against a very poor Peterhead side.

Ballantyne man of the match only because he seemed to have a sense of urgency and aggression about him which summed it up really.

Can we  ditch McMaster back to St Mirren at xmas as he's an absolute nothing player, fecking about 40 yards from his own goal playing side & backwards was doing my nut in. Devenny who he replaced done even less but light squad again was shown up as it's clear the young subs are only to replace injured players.

Frizzell coming back will help but we need to turn over players in the next window. Deveney, Watson & Telfer were particularly horrific today.

Just shows how we all see different things. Justin is a young lad and as McCabe alluded to at the start of the season there will be times when he needs a break from the first team. That would maybe be now but as we don't have a lot in the way of numbers it's not that easy. I  thought McMaster had a good afternoon when he came on. He made some excellent forward runs and only the poor decision making of team mates meant that he didn't get played in. He played some very good forward balls too, linked in well with Smith and Jamieson and yes some passes were sideways but when the boss is alongside you and he's demanding the ball, as a youngster what are you going to do?

14 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Again, its a not a great look for an individual who’s evidently employed by/represents the club taking to a forum in attempts to sling insults (aimed at the wrong account), troll and posture with “insider knowledge”.

Already posted in the match thread, but it was back to the slow, turgid, sideways & backwards football today which is a shame, but it was a good feeling when our goal went in. I think we were probably outmuscled by a typically “streetsmart & pragmatic” Jim McInally team, but they did show that they are at the bottom of the table for a reason.

Yet  we could not beat them at home. 

Went to the turnstiles, guy could not scan my phone, asked what happens, he said you cant get in, steward standing nearby said go to reception and they will sort it, went there and thes said they go to the bar and they will sort it, went to the bar, was told go to reception and they will sort it, a fuckin shambles of a club, finally got in, and wished i had just turned about and went home, shambles of a club, and a shambles of a team

9 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Just shows how we all see different things. Justin is a young lad and as McCabe alluded to at the start of the season there will be times when he needs a break from the first team. That would maybe be now but as we don't have a lot in the way of numbers it's not that easy. I  thought McMaster had a good afternoon when he came on. He made some excellent forward runs and only the poor decision making of team mates meant that he didn't get played in. He played some very good forward balls too, linked in well with Smith and Jamieson and yes some passes were sideways but when the boss is alongside you and he's demanding the ball, as a youngster what are you going to do?

I actually thought McMaster done fine as well and was surprised to see him singled out on here. I don’t actually think there were many bad individual performances. Deveney and Devenny were quite poor. The inability to defend the corner seems more of a tactical/coaching issue to me, although Lyness can certainly be blamed since he came out for a ball he didn’t collect. Over the game as a whole I don’t think Fordyce or Watson done a whole lot wrong, and Ballanatyne definitely deserved man of the match. Telfer’s one I’m never sure about becuase he’s quite a tidy player and I’d actually argue he showed a bit more aggression today than he has in the past, but sometimes he just looks like he doesn’t know what he’s doing, especially when he gets himself in the box. Jamieson took his goal well and worked his socks off but I’d prefer him more central. Gallagher was quite poor and looked clumsy and got the ball stuck under his feet a lot, but he also has moments where he turns someone brilliantly. Smith frustrated me a lot. Didn’t play bad but there were a few times I was screaming for him to shoot and he took and extra touch. Then again, he also headed a ball up the park and sprinted by about 6 players to get to the loose ball first.

Don’t want to sound rattled but I certainly won’t miss those absolute hammer-throwers when they inevitably finish bottom and end up back in League Two next season.

As for the talk about Aggy in hospitality today, yes absolutely I’d take him back in any capacity. An experienced head and another player in a very small squad is something we could obviously do with. However I’ve actually just had a laugh to myself trying to imagine how ridiculously immobile a midfield trio of Agnew, McCabe and Telfer would be.

4 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I don’t actually think there were many bad individual performances.

We scraped a draw against one of the worst sides ever to play in this league and you think that most players done well. That's astonishing!

7 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I actually thought McMaster done fine as well and was surprised to see him singled out on here

Anyone can stroll about in areas of the park where there is no threat to the opposition

6 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

We scraped a draw against one of the worst sides ever to play in this league and you think that most players done well. That's astonishing!

Anyone can stroll about in areas of the park where there is no threat to the opposition

I never said they done well I said I don’t think there were many players that stood out as playing poorly. First half was a shambles but second half we were in total control and should’ve scored more than one. There were a few times players looked afraid to shoot and we overplayed it or the final pass was sloppy after a good move. But nobody really had a torrid time and almost every player who had one of those moments where they looked afraid to shoot or played a sloppy pass had other moments where they contributed well. We were more wasteful than bad imo, but ultimately if you don’t get the result it doesn’t really matter how good or bad a team is, only that they didn’t win.

57 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I actually thought McMaster done fine as well and was surprised to see him singled out on here. I don’t actually think there were many bad individual performances. Deveney and Devenny were quite poor. The inability to defend the corner seems more of a tactical/coaching issue to me, although Lyness can certainly be blamed since he came out for a ball he didn’t collect. Over the game as a whole I don’t think Fordyce or Watson done a whole lot wrong, and Ballanatyne definitely deserved man of the match. Telfer’s one I’m never sure about becuase he’s quite a tidy player and I’d actually argue he showed a bit more aggression today than he has in the past, but sometimes he just looks like he doesn’t know what he’s doing, especially when he gets himself in the box. Jamieson took his goal well and worked his socks off but I’d prefer him more central. Gallagher was quite poor and looked clumsy and got the ball stuck under his feet a lot, but he also has moments where he turns someone brilliantly. Smith frustrated me a lot. Didn’t play bad but there were a few times I was screaming for him to shoot and he took and extra touch. Then again, he also headed a ball up the park and sprinted by about 6 players to get to the loose ball first.

Don’t want to sound rattled but I certainly won’t miss those absolute hammer-throwers when they inevitably finish bottom and end up back in League Two next season.

Going by today we will be close behind them. 

2 hours ago, Passionate said:

A disastrous 1st Half where the set up was totally wrong against the opposition ,  High Risk, High Reward was the mantra at the start of the season,  basically the way Peter head played to perfection in the first half, just sliding balls into he channels and exposing our defence,  still not sure if McCabe was meant to be playing in midfield or defence today,   we basically turned up today thinking it would be a walkover,  an arrogant needless passing performance,  after the break we went direct and narrow and showed we are a much better side on the front foot,  nothing fell for us today in the box, but sometimes you have to makes your own luck in life....

No noticeable boycotts or shouts at he game today,  in hindsight no need for the extra stewarding.

Scott Agnew was there his his family again today is there again is there anything in this or does he just like the hospitality..

I’ve no idea why he changed it from the system that worked so well against Montrose. 

McCabe drivelling on about not taking chances again in the post-match interview is exhausting. WE HAVEN’T WON A GAME IN WHICH WE’VE CONCEDED A GOAL THIS ENTIRE SEASON. And yet we’re the top goal scorers in the league. Take some responsibility for what the real issues are please. You’ve been in charge since May/June and we still can’t defend. It’s fucking farcical. 

A disastrous 1st Half where the set up was totally wrong against the opposition ,  High Risk, High Reward was the mantra at the start of the season,  basically the way Peter head played to perfection in the first half, just sliding balls into he channels and exposing our defence,  still not sure if McCabe was meant to be playing in midfield or defence today,   we basically turned up today thinking it would be a walkover,  an arrogant needless passing performance,  after the break we went direct and narrow and showed we are a much better side on the front foot,  nothing fell for us today in the box, but sometimes you have to makes your own luck in life....

No noticeable boycotts or shouts at he game today,  in hindsight no need for the extra stewarding.

Scott Agnew was there his his family again today is there again is there anything in this or does he just like the hospitality..
Agnew was apparently at the game last week as well. Would love to see him come in as a coach and have an influence on the sidelines.

13 hours ago, Passionate said:

still not sure if McCabe was meant to be playing in midfield or defence today,

McCabe was playing as our deepest midfielder in a sort of 4-1-3-2 formation. He sat in to make it a 3 at the back when Ballantyne & Deveney got forward to make it a 3-5-2.

I thought he was one of our better players, if they could all pass the ball like him we'd be fine.

13 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

We could do with some of their grit and effort, 

12 hours ago, airdrieman said:

I’ve no idea why he changed it from the system that worked so well against Montrose. 

McCabe drivelling on about not taking chances again in the post-match interview is exhausting. WE HAVEN’T WON A GAME IN WHICH WE’VE CONCEDED A GOAL THIS ENTIRE SEASON. And yet we’re the top goal scorers in the league. Take some responsibility for what the real issues are please. You’ve been in charge since May/June and we still can’t defend. It’s fucking farcical. 

This ties in with a big issue for us which is that the result seems entirely dependent on who scores the first goal. In the league this season we've scored first 7 times and won 6 of those, drawing 1. We've conceded first 8 times, drawing 3 and losing 5.

Obviously all teams will have better results when scoring first but I think it's exaggerated for us because our style of play means we are actually ideally suited to playing with a lead, we are good at keeping possession (when there's no pressure to score) and teams are forced to push out which is ideal for Smith and Jamieson to get in behind. The flip side is that same style of play is pretty useless for getting back into games when you go behind because teams just sit deep and allow us to aimlessly pass the ball around and there is no space in behind.

To come back to your point, this makes it all the more crucial that we don't concede pathetic goals like yesterday as it makes it much harder for us to score at the other end.