The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

3 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Time will indeed tell,    we got ripped on both wings against Dunfermline both LJ and Gabby unable to cope with Edwards and on the other side Kyle McDonald schooled Euan D most of the game,  system changes are part and parcel of football and personnel changes need to be made if you have them,  you cannot and teams won't allow you to pass through them all season don't be naive,   nothing wrong with playing 4 4 2,  4 5 1 if the situation arises and it gets you the win or a fighting draw...

Is that not being realistic for a team that hopes to stay top of the league....

I give up 

1 minute ago, roman_bairn said:

Maybe….Or he could just have arrived at Airdrie for the first time and realised just how low he’s sunk….

I dunno 28th in the 42 team pyramid was probably him bottoming out last season. Only way is up and all that jazz.

13 hours ago, David Fernández said:
13 hours ago, airdrieman said:
Hopefully Rae is back soon but I assume that now we have two goalies available there’s no longer a basis in which we can have an emergency loan keeper? Henderson at least seems to have a good pedigree and, presumably McCabe, wouldn’t have gone to the trouble of signing him from Northern Ireland if he didn’t think he was decent. Would have been as well keeping Cantley or signing someone else of that ilk if he’s just there to fill a spot on the bench. 

Wouldn't say he'd be there to fill a spot on the bench, maybe part of Gow's development team maybe, woukd be good if the club coukd provide an update on how thats looking. I think he featured as a trialist in one of the NL Cup games as well. If he's as good as Murray Johnson, that's excellent business. But being honest, I'd feel much more reassured with Josh Rae on goals.

Henderson has zero connection to Gows development team he’s came over here to fight for a starting spot with Rae

11 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Although I have to say the dtv interview makes him seem a right miserable sod. I know signing with a third tier Scottish team can't be the most thrilling thing in life, but FFS show some enthusiasm, it's better than the dole.

11 hours ago, David Fernández said:
11 hours ago, cb_diamond said:
He's cover, no more no less, he's clearly not great but I wouldn't expect him to start unless we have an injury or suspension, so it is what it is. Although I have to say the dtv interview makes him seem a right miserable sod. I know signing with a third tier Scottish team can't be the most thrilling thing in life, but FFS show some enthusiasm, it's better than the dole.

Tbf to him, spending 6 months in Grangemouth has probably scarred the boy for life.

Father Ted - S01-E02 - Entertaining Father Stone - video Dailymotion

An experienced pro who offers versatility to the left side of the defence? Good stuff. 

An extra bit of height and physical presence? Good stuff. 

A player who is actually older than me, at long last? Very good stuff. 

I thought he had a decent game in that 3-2 win versus Falkirk last year, right up to the point that Frizz made him look a bit silly. Fortunately for us and for ATS, nobody else in the league appears to have Adam Frizzel on their books. Our number 10 can, has and will do that to many a player at this level. Hell, he made the entire st mirren midfield and defence look silly in the summer. 

Interesting wee read from  Dunfermline about how they wanted to bring in more players but basically no one wants to play in league 1 , or send their young players to league 1. 

Obviously a bit of an over simplification , but just high lights the difficulties clubs down at our level face.  

10 minutes ago, Rossm25 said:

Interesting wee read from  Dunfermline about how they wanted to bring in more players but basically no one wants to play in league 1 , or send their young players to league 1. 

Obviously a bit of an over simplification , but just high lights the difficulties clubs down at our level face.  

We've obviously demonstrated we can bring on young players who are loaned to us; McInroy, Patterson, Afolabi have all moved on to permanent deals after spells with us (and Justin D has joined us permanently after a loan) so for players, that's a demonstrable example of career progression. Jamieson, McMaster, Wylie, all contracted with their clubs, have been sent here by their clubs because we've demonstrated this willingness to play them and play in a certain way, too (last season and this, at any rate). 

Both clubs and players can therefore look at tangible evidence of it being worth their while to send players to Airdrie; that stands us in good stead and might be why we've had an easier time of it than some. That being said, the Dunfermline thing read a bit to me like they had been very ambitious with their attempted loans thus far and that's why some of them have been knocked back. 

No harm in asking for those, I guess, and if you get one or two of them, what a signing they could turn out to be, but if you don't get them, you really ought to have back up plans in place. Good chance that they do, as there's still a good while to go until that window closes, as we've all talked about. McInroy didn't come that early last year, if memory serves. Think it was the end of the loan window. Made his debut versus Clyde I think, start of October. 

7 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

We've obviously demonstrated we can bring on young players who are loaned to us; McInroy, Patterson, Afolabi have all moved on to permanent deals after spells with us (and Justin D has joined us permanently after a loan) so for players, that's a demonstrable example of career progression. Jamieson, McMaster, Wylie, all contracted with their clubs, have been sent here by their clubs because we've demonstrated this willingness to play them and play in a certain way, too (last season and this, at any rate). 

Both clubs and players can therefore look at tangible evidence of it being worth their while to send players to Airdrie; that stands us in good stead and might be why we've had an easier time of it than some. That being said, the Dunfermline thing read a bit to me like they had been very ambitious with their attempted loans thus far and that's why some of them have been knocked back. 

No harm in asking for those, I guess, and if you get one or two of them, what a signing they could turn out to be, but if you don't get them, you really ought to have back up plans in place. Good chance that they do, as there's still a good while to go until that window closes, as we've all talked about. McInroy didn't come that early last year, if memory serves. Think it was the end of the loan window. Made his debut versus Clyde I think, start of October. 

It's mad to think how little time Mcinroy was here for. 

And absolutely agree , it's horses for courses. We've been smart at who we approach for loan moves. It's worked for us...folk still no happy...

34 minutes ago, Rossm25 said:

It's mad to think how little time Mcinroy was here for. 

And absolutely agree , it's horses for courses. We've been smart at who we approach for loan moves. It's worked for us...folk still no happy...

To be fair I think everyone is happy with how things have gone on the park. I think some folk have been worried about the way we ran quite light for some of the month and I think it's best not to be too unfair on people who have been, as until recently an injury to either Fordyce or Watson would have left us in a spot of bother. With Mcmaster back too, that makes a big difference to the midfield. Him and Wylie in there to support and compete with Frizz and Justin D, that makes a difference.

I think we're now in a pretty good place cover wise. One or two more would be all we need I think but I'm not worried about it at this stage. But I don't blame folk who have been worried about how we'd cope with, say, two injuries and a suspension going into any of the league games thus far, which was hardly some impossible set of circumstances. 

We had been a bit light, but I think the best thing to focus on is that we managed to cope with that very, very well. And that we are now looking a good bit better squad wise than a month ago. 

1 hour ago, AndyDD said:

To be fair I think everyone is happy with how things have gone on the park. I think some folk have been worried about the way we ran quite light for some of the month and I think it's best not to be too unfair on people who have been, as until recently an injury to either Fordyce or Watson would have left us in a spot of bother. With Mcmaster back too, that makes a big difference to the midfield. Him and Wylie in there to support and compete with Frizz and Justin D, that makes a difference.

I think we're now in a pretty good place cover wise. One or two more would be all we need I think but I'm not worried about it at this stage. But I don't blame folk who have been worried about how we'd cope with, say, two injuries and a suspension going into any of the league games thus far, which was hardly some impossible set of circumstances. 

We had been a bit light, but I think the best thing to focus on is that we managed to cope with that very, very well. And that we are now looking a good bit better squad wise than a month ago. 

I agree to a point. 

But some of the hysteria has been laughable from folk. Calling people like myself "lemons" whatever that means , using phrases like "playing with fire", "shambles" etc etc

I am focused on the positives , always have been. If we weren't playing well I'd understand some grief being aimed at the club. But we are , and it isn't an accident that we are playing well. We aren't lucky, we've set our stall out in every game with a clear plan , and changed it when needed.

Folk saying we don't have a plan or strategy when every single interview with Mccabe or Fordyce calls out the need for reinforcements , but quality that makes a different.  It's there in black and white every week. But folk just either ignore that or read it and rant anyway about staff that's been covered....and don't even get me started on folk who moan about Calum Gallagher...

5 minutes ago, Rossm25 said:

Anyway...

I'm actually worried about tomorrow. We've never beaten this mob and it gives me the fear. 

Randomly bad record against them eh? They've actually pulled off some quality recruitment, Creagan, Kyle Jacobs, Fonts and that wee fanny Kyle MacDonald to name the best of them.

Think we'll do them tomorrow but, based on nothing but a hunch. Think they're still sitting somewhere between a proper outfit and an amateur gang and they're there for the taking

4 minutes ago, Right in the Stanchion said:

Randomly bad record against them eh? They've actually pulled off some quality recruitment, Creagan, Kyle Jacobs, Fonts and that wee fanny Kyle MacDonald to name the best of them.

Think we'll do them tomorrow but, based on nothing but a hunch. Think they're still sitting somewhere between a proper outfit and an amateur gang and they're there for the taking

Hope yer right ! 

44 minutes ago, Rossm25 said:

Anyway...

I'm actually worried about tomorrow. We've never beaten this mob and it gives me the fear. 

Last game stats, Airdrie had 28 shots to Edinburgh 7,on target was the problem we had 6 they had 3,a wee bit more on target tomorrow and we will be fine, 

1 hour ago, Rossm25 said:

I agree to a point. 

But some of the hysteria has been laughable from folk. Calling people like myself "lemons" whatever that means , using phrases like "playing with fire", "shambles" etc etc

I am focused on the positives , always have been. If we weren't playing well I'd understand some grief being aimed at the club. But we are , and it isn't an accident that we are playing well. We aren't lucky, we've set our stall out in every game with a clear plan , and changed it when needed.

Folk saying we don't have a plan or strategy when every single interview with Mccabe or Fordyce calls out the need for reinforcements , but quality that makes a different.  It's there in black and white every week. But folk just either ignore that or read it and rant anyway about staff that's been covered....and don't even get me started on folk who moan about Calum Gallagher...

Don’t think there’s anything wrong with people looking for some backup in certain positions. I agree that we are playing very well and are miles away from a ‘shambles’ but things can change very quickly. 

I think we need to bolster the squad in anticipation of things going wrong. Not just riding the wave until it inevitably comes crashing down on the banks of the Petersburn glen.

The QOS game showed just how important depth is. Their subs changed that game for them. We just don’t have that YET…

12 hours ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

Henderson has zero connection to Gows development team he’s came over here to fight for a starting spot with Rae

That's great news,   with Rae being unconvincing in his time between the sticks so far,   Murray Johnson has proved age is no barrier and was outstanding.....   according to reports Rae is still out so it looks like Alex Henderson's position to lose now,    Good luck to the lad......

13 minutes ago, Passionate said:

That's great news,   with Rae being unconvincing in his time between the sticks so far,   Murray Johnson has proved age is no barrier and was outstanding.....   according to reports Rae is still out so it looks like Alex Henderson's position to lose now,    Good luck to the lad......

Clearly watched different games as I think Rae is a noticeable improvement on Currie. Commands his box better, comes for crosses etc. 

Hoping Henderson has a solid start tomorrow. Heard good things about him.