Jump to content

The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, AndyDD said:

Brilliant start to the league and whilst it's important we don't get too carried away given our poor start last time was followed by a brilliant league campaign overall, the players and management deserve a huge amount of credit for how we're shaping up. Two very good wins, playing excellent football, impossible to live with at times. 

That second half, we absolutely murdered a falkirk team that hadn't conceded a goal from open play right through their league cup group and opening fixture. It was a joy to watch, that second 45. Delighted for the goalscorers, especially Sal for obvious reasons. Also delighted for Euan Deveney, who really stood up. Best game yet for him. 

Roll on Saturday. 

Good point re:Falkirk. No doubt they're better than last season. Just because we gubbed them, we shouldn't be doing ourselves a discredit by saying it's because Falkirk are just as poor as they were last season. They are better. But so are we. Some of our play on Saturday was just sublime. The link up play alone between Smith and Frizz was a Joy to watch. Quick shirt passes round players, they were both almost unplayable at times. 

As for Telfer, his experience would be good to add. Tidy player too. However, he's not a stand out and also has been dicking about too long so it's maybe time for him to pi55 off if he's not signing, if not already away. 

McCabe has proven that there's other good players out there so I hope we don't waste any more time on him.hes no Easton replacement, that's for sure decent enough, but not worth chasing and spending a fortune on if he's holding out for an unrealistic wage. Falkirk may have been willing to chuck stupid money at him before, but we ain't that daft. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Technically, since you went down the 'technically' road yourself, they were play off games, not league games. All clubs play the same number of league games. The extra games are therefore not league games, as the league is done. Play offs. You're welcome. 

Haha fs he must be fun at parties, anyway we'll just go with 100% record this year and top of the league that sounds just as nice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Technically, since you went down the 'technically' road yourself, they were play off games, not league games. All clubs play the same number of league games. The extra games are therefore not league games, as the league is done. Play offs. You're welcome. 

You made that up. Go ask the SPFL. They consider them League games of the higher division. That's why I used the word 'technically' .Goals scored count as League goals, bookings count as League bookings, etc. You lost a League game at Montrose in May.

You're welcome.

1 hour ago, AJ77 said:

Haha fs he must be fun at parties, anyway we'll just go with 100% record this year and top of the league that sounds just as nice.

I'm really dull at parties. Which is why I'm never invited to them. You're unbeaten in 2 league games. 5 if you want to turn a blind eye to extra time in the Queen's Park one. 😝

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You made that up. Go ask the SPFL. They consider them League games of the higher division. That's why I used the word 'technically' .Goals scored count as League goals, bookings count as League bookings, etc. You lost a League game at Montrose in May.

You're welcome.

I'm really dull at parties. Which is why I'm never invited to them. You're unbeaten in 2 league games. 5 if you want to turn a blind eye to extra time in the Queen's Park one. 😝

Airdrie have not lost a league game in this division since December. 

The championship playoff games are not counted as league games in this division. 

Hopefully that'll remain the case come fulltime on Saturday. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

image.thumb.png.b5bbc9b164ec2caa2b4da9ab33f78519.png
What’s being censored here, then? New player? New kit? New coach? A big sign showing how many Falkirk fans were at the game?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

image.thumb.png.b5bbc9b164ec2caa2b4da9ab33f78519.png
What’s being censored here, then? New player? New kit? New coach? A big sign showing how many Falkirk fans were at the game?

So...what was it ? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Slightly off topic but it's sad to see the guy who runs the bus/buses to away games having such a struggle these days which just happens to coincide with us being well worth the travel most weeks. I've personally never been on the supporters bus due to being fortunate enough to be able to make my own way to games but his work is commendable. Over the past few weeks I've been wondering if there is any scope for the club to help in this regard. It's got to be beneficial for the team and the club in general to have as many away fans as possible, it could be the difference. They could also make a bit of money out of helping out with travel. There's a few ways they could spin it if it's something that can be explored.

They could go down the route of just putting a bus on at whatever cost or they could start a travel club, I'm sure there are other teams out there that do this, whether it be a monthly payment which could either include travel only or travel and a ticket to the game. I know in these times it's difficult for all financially and asking g for another payment might be a stretch too far but the hard-core that go to 80-100% of away games are paying anyway. 

 

I also appreciate that this idea cut be seen as cutting the grass of the guy who's currently doing a great job of running the buses despite the current struggles and obviously opens cue here before and after where most will go in and spend a few quid before and after the game but the club could also liaise with cue here and possibly come up with a solution to have the bus leave from cue here or even do a pick up from there.  Maybe it's pie in the sky and all a bit too complicated but it's something I'd hope the club could help out and allow the team to have the best backing possible. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:

Slightly off topic but it's sad to see the guy who runs the bus/buses to away games having such a struggle these days which just happens to coincide with us being well worth the travel most weeks. I've personally never been on the supporters bus due to being fortunate enough to be able to make my own way to games but his work is commendable. Over the past few weeks I've been wondering if there is any scope for the club to help in this regard. It's got to be beneficial for the team and the club in general to have as many away fans as possible, it could be the difference. They could also make a bit of money out of helping out with travel. There's a few ways they could spin it if it's something that can be explored.

They could go down the route of just putting a bus on at whatever cost or they could start a travel club, I'm sure there are other teams out there that do this, whether it be a monthly payment which could either include travel only or travel and a ticket to the game. I know in these times it's difficult for all financially and asking g for another payment might be a stretch too far but the hard-core that go to 80-100% of away games are paying anyway. 

 

I also appreciate that this idea cut be seen as cutting the grass of the guy who's currently doing a great job of running the buses despite the current struggles and obviously opens cue here before and after where most will go in and spend a few quid before and after the game but the club could also liaise with cue here and possibly come up with a solution to have the bus leave from cue here or even do a pick up from there.  Maybe it's pie in the sky and all a bit too complicated but it's something I'd hope the club could help out and allow the team to have the best backing possible. 

Speaking from experience it's a hard task but you would think that a club director who owns a bus company would be sympathetic, seems not!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

image.thumb.png.b5bbc9b164ec2caa2b4da9ab33f78519.png
What’s being censored here, then? New player? New kit? New coach? A big sign showing how many Falkirk fans were at the game?

It will be the striker from West Ham I’d imagine.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:

Slightly off topic but it's sad to see the guy who runs the bus/buses to away games having such a struggle these days which just happens to coincide with us being well worth the travel most weeks. I've personally never been on the supporters bus due to being fortunate enough to be able to make my own way to games but his work is commendable. Over the past few weeks I've been wondering if there is any scope for the club to help in this regard. It's got to be beneficial for the team and the club in general to have as many away fans as possible, it could be the difference. They could also make a bit of money out of helping out with travel. There's a few ways they could spin it if it's something that can be explored.

They could go down the route of just putting a bus on at whatever cost or they could start a travel club, I'm sure there are other teams out there that do this, whether it be a monthly payment which could either include travel only or travel and a ticket to the game. I know in these times it's difficult for all financially and asking g for another payment might be a stretch too far but the hard-core that go to 80-100% of away games are paying anyway. 

 

I also appreciate that this idea cut be seen as cutting the grass of the guy who's currently doing a great job of running the buses despite the current struggles and obviously opens cue here before and after where most will go in and spend a few quid before and after the game but the club could also liaise with cue here and possibly come up with a solution to have the bus leave from cue here or even do a pick up from there.  Maybe it's pie in the sky and all a bit too complicated but it's something I'd hope the club could help out and allow the team to have the best backing possible. 

This is surely something for the Supporters Trust to sort, that used to be their main remit back in the day,  come to think of it the Supporters Trust still on the go....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Passionate said:

This is surely something for the Supporters Trust to sort, that used to be their main remit back in the day,  come to think of it the Supporters Trust still on the go....

That was never the main remit although they did put on occassional free bus/buses for the Airdrie aces. (kids) The trust morphed into Diamonds in the Community and a new trust was formed by the club amid quite a bit of nastiness of which i would not know the detals of.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Diamond8 said:

Slightly off topic but it's sad to see the guy who runs the bus/buses to away games having such a struggle these days which just happens to coincide with us being well worth the travel most weeks. I've personally never been on the supporters bus due to being fortunate enough to be able to make my own way to games but his work is commendable. Over the past few weeks I've been wondering if there is any scope for the club to help in this regard. It's got to be beneficial for the team and the club in general to have as many away fans as possible, it could be the difference. They could also make a bit of money out of helping out with travel. There's a few ways they could spin it if it's something that can be explored.

They could go down the route of just putting a bus on at whatever cost or they could start a travel club, I'm sure there are other teams out there that do this, whether it be a monthly payment which could either include travel only or travel and a ticket to the game. I know in these times it's difficult for all financially and asking g for another payment might be a stretch too far but the hard-core that go to 80-100% of away games are paying anyway. 

 

I also appreciate that this idea cut be seen as cutting the grass of the guy who's currently doing a great job of running the buses despite the current struggles and obviously opens cue here before and after where most will go in and spend a few quid before and after the game but the club could also liaise with cue here and possibly come up with a solution to have the bus leave from cue here or even do a pick up from there.  Maybe it's pie in the sky and all a bit too complicated but it's something I'd hope the club could help out and allow the team to have the best backing possible. 

Its not lack of people or finance, the problem is finding a bus company. I've had problems booking buses for a few events. 

A lot of companies went out of business or downsized during the Pandemic. Most of those that survived have regular contracts.

A big factor is Scotrail. With so many lines running replacement bus services at the moment they have booked the spare bus capacity.

Eventually some companies are going to expand (or new companies start up) but much like the taxi shortages it's going to take time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, She who dares gins said:

The Falkirk daft podcast made for interesting/twilight zone listening. Personally I’m thankful for the 3rd and 4th they decided to give us. Otherwise it would only have been 2-0.

And the 1st goal was a lucky deflection, no mention of the move and Frizzels worldie defence splitting pass. 

And our new pitch is shiite!

Edited by Kenny_m
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Tory Boy said:

Its not lack of people or finance, the problem is finding a bus company. I've had problems booking buses for a few events. 

A lot of companies went out of business or downsized during the Pandemic. Most of those that survived have regular contracts.

A big factor is Scotrail. With so many lines running replacement bus services at the moment they have booked the spare bus capacity.

Eventually some companies are going to expand (or new companies start up) but much like the taxi shortages it's going to take time. 

 

Have had similar, you are spot on. In addition I've seen cancellation fees at late notice increase because they are such high demand. I'd guess it might be possible if booking well in advance (as in months) to get a bus but that's not really possible with us - fans don't tend to plan months ahead whether they are going to attend. I'd imagine with our start to the league and the weather forecast plenty fans would have been up for taking the bus this weekend to Dumfries. However if we'd lost the first 2 games and the weather was abysmal this weekend there wouldn't be enough for a bus and you get hit with a big cancellation fee. I think with some companies there is also a reluctance to get involved with football at all these days, or more just that they don't need to.

Would be interesting to see how fans of other clubs are managing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And the 1st goal was a lucky deflection, no mention of the move and Frizzels worldie defence splitting pass. 
And our new pitch is shiite!

Absolutely there was some bloody excellent play in that second half. Funny how St Mirren lost 2-0 and didn’t blame the park. In fact, no one has bar the greetin’ Bairns.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, She who dares gins said:

The Falkirk daft podcast made for interesting/twilight zone listening. Personally I’m thankful for the 3rd and 4th they decided to give us. Otherwise it would only have been 2-0.

Don't be so glass half empty. They're from FK postcodes and have worked out that 4-2 =2 

That's earthshaking numeracy progress in that neck of the woods when you consider that a Falkirk abacus is two frozen dug shites held in place with a hypodermic needle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...