The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

35 minutes ago, G_H said:

So what's happening with these Irish guys? Surely it doesnt take weeks and weeks to process some paperwork?

I assume the club @Rossm25 mentioned who messed up paperwork is the club they are coming from... Will Josh Rae be back on Saturday?

28 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

I assume the club @Rossm25 mentioned who messed up paperwork is the club they are coming from... Will Josh Rae be back on Saturday?

Not 100 percent sure but I think it was wylies signing that was held up for what ever reason. There is an Irish lad still to come but issue with clearance for whatever reason. Probably brexits fault

17 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Clyde fans might know better but I think they signed Steven Thicot in May and are still waiting on international clearance being sorted, so there seems to be some sort of hold up with it for some transfers at this level.

I don't think it's international clearance (e.g. FIFA, another football authority etc) but Brexit and looking to get the appropriate work permit. We were/are also looking to sign another striker in a similar boat (his signing has never been announced, so who knows what's actually going on there).

Edited by David W

2 hours ago, G_H said:

So what's happening with these Irish guys? Surely it doesnt take weeks and weeks to process some paperwork?

19 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Clyde fans might know better but I think they signed Steven Thicot in May and are still waiting on international clearance being sorted, so there seems to be some sort of hold up with it for some transfers at this level.

Short answer is yes, transfers involving lower league level players being signed from the EU are now much more complex and time consuming. The days of signing a bunch of Spaniards during the week and them playing on the Saturday are gone - at our level anyway.

I don't know about us signing Irish players but if we are then I'd assume it will be this holding it up.

Edit: There was a discussion regarding this on the Ayr Utd thread recently, worth going back and reading that.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

2 minutes ago, David W said:

I don't think it's international clearance (e.g. FIFA, another football authority etc) but Brexit and looking to get the appropriate work permit. We were/are also looking to sign another striker in a similar boat (his signing has never been announced, so who knows what's actually going on there).

That makes more sense, cheers! I was a bit confused about Thicot’s one taking so long when other clubs have signed guys from elsewhere in the UK without much hassle, so that clears that up.

5 hours ago, Caro-Kann said:

I don't see why there should be any work permit issues in signing players from either part Ireland as long as they hold Irish (CTA includes employment rights) or UK citizenship.

Let's hope signing's are worth the wait. Certainly could have done with a couple for sat. Young keeper from Hibs done well to be fair and would be for a good shout for Sat. 

On 03/08/2022 at 21:42, Diamond1924 said:

One or two in tomorrow apparently 👍🏼

Cannot see any new signings before Falkirk game now,      Falkirk come into this game with a probably over inflated squad,   are we playing with fire squad wise, Probably,  Starting 11 is decent although an injury to a defender or midfielder and we will struggle badly,    with 50% of your outfield players allowed to be subbed during a game,  a full bench is priority.......

57 minutes ago, Tory Boy said:

The Northern Irish lads are signing some sort of modern training/scholarship contracts. The paperwork hold up is the with the College/Uni they're going to. 

Are they for the academy, and if so the quicker we man up the first team the better with quality players  ofcourse. It really has been a secret service club this season on new players having to keep looking for the pen  in between shirt sponsorship  and academy players it gets a bit worrying. 

Mochrie, who ourselves and Falkirk were supposedly in for, is Dunfermline-bound. Still think our starting 11 is pretty much as good as any other 11 in this league, but I think most neutrals would look at that Dunfermline squad and see it as the strongest in the league.

I’d have anticipated seeing a couple more experienced players in the door by now. I hope this lack of depth doesn’t bite us in the backside with this run of games in august. Dunfermline and Falkirk both adding this week and we’re still chasing shadows. Of course whether their additions are any good has yet to be seen.

14 minutes ago, She who dares gins said:

I’d have anticipated seeing a couple more experienced players in the door by now. I hope this lack of depth doesn’t bite us in the backside with this run of games in august. Dunfermline and Falkirk both adding this week and we’re still chasing shadows. Of course whether their additions are any good has yet to be seen.

Agree deep squads win leagues not good starting 11s,     disappointed nothing has happened even with the excitement of the 2 apparent signing ITK post of the other night..

We are facing Falkirk, Queens and Dunfermline in the next month,  all their squads are pretty full,  all squads have to carry there share of bench warmers it is the same in all levels of the game,  we will be. No different ,  was it lack of quality that outdid us in the play off final or lack of options off the bench..