Jump to content

The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond


Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

 

So we've to ignore the 40 goals between Smith, Gallagher and McGill last season (remembering that McGill missed two thirds of the season) and instead use 3 League Cup games as evidence?

I’ve never doubted the abilities to McGill or Smith. They do a lot of the running on that pitch and scored a bundle last season. 
 

We need more forward options. Something that showed it’s worth towards the end of last season with our strikers being McGill, Smith, Gallagher, Afolabi, Allan. Getting another striker who gives us another option is what’s needed instead of bringing on an unfit Salim. Makes total sense. 
 

Thankfully, McCabe agrees 👍🏼

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Passionate said:

We  currently have one loaner. McMaster from St Mirren,  is 6 the  most loanees a team can have ,   pretty desperate stuff if that the plan....

In days gone by i would agree with this but as most players are now signing one year deals, does a one year loan make much difference? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Diamond1924 said:

I’ve never doubted the abilities to McGill or Smith. They do a lot of the running on that pitch and scored a bundle last season. 
 

We need more forward options. Something that showed it’s worth towards the end of last season with our strikers being McGill, Smith, Gallagher, Afolabi, Allan. Getting another striker who gives us another option is what’s needed instead of bringing on an unfit Salim. Makes total sense. 
 

Thankfully, McCabe agrees 👍🏼

Put the strikers in other team that didn't make  so many chances, 1 out of every 10 chances in no good, Salim not proven even at this level, McGill and Gal need a lot of chances to score. Smith better using his pace but never a finisher. If we are to compete with the new look Falkirk and Co we need 2 strikers and player's that can get stuck in start winning the second ball . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Passionate said:

For me McCabe was spot on,he has gave the side every chance,  he knows fine well that was the last game of preseason  and things will crank up in ter the League..  The positions in danger IMO are both Devenneys and Gabby who is hopelessly inc onsistent.

 

We  currently have one loaner. McMaster from St Mirren,  is 6 the  most loanees a team can have ,   pretty desperate stuff if that the plan....

Based on yesterday's showing I think it's the Devenneys and Watson that are most in danger. I'd need to watch back their second goal but I'm pretty sure Watson was caught out of position, got back in to his credit to break play up then gifted it straight back to them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:

Based on yesterday's showing I think it's the Devenneys and Watson that are most in danger. I'd need to watch back their second goal but I'm pretty sure Watson was caught out of position, got back in to his credit to break play up then gifted it straight back to them.

I thought Watson was poor yesterday, couldn’t handle Bobby Linn at all. I like him and he’s a good League One right back but Ballantyne is a definite upgrade there for me.

Good interview with McCabe here

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Diamond8 said:

Based on yesterday's showing I think it's the Devenneys and Watson that are most in danger. I'd need to watch back their second goal but I'm pretty sure Watson was caught out of position, got back in to his credit to break play up then gifted it straight back to them.

Watson is a a lot more suited to a back three ahi g in the right hand side imo there’s definitely going to be another left back coming in Euan looks like he’ll be more of a Scott walker type of player last year if needed he’ll play but I do t k is how you can say Justin is in danger as he’s been brilliant the last three games and scored in all three did think he looked bit to bad yesterday aswell,really think we need a bit if height to bring into the middle of the park as I think that which is letting us down a little bit 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

In days gone by i would agree with this but as most players are now signing one year deals, does a one year loan make much difference? 

Getting loanees is a,bit of Russian roulette,   last season was good McInroy 3 months loan only,  same with Brody and Afolabi 3 months loan....    I always think it is lazy recruitment and if we are going for 5 or 6 what does that tell us,   but as I said in a n earlier post McCabe has gave this side a chance and to be blunt the players haven't taken it,  to be honest we need a physical centre half just as much as a striker,   Fordyce who I like struggles in the air in both boxes,   Peter head will play basic percentage football next week,   aggression,  compact,  and attack set pieces,  we need to win this none of this mollycoddled pish of the FB page,  we have Falkirk on the horizon after that...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Getting loanees is a,bit of Russian roulette,   last season was good McInroy 3 months loan only,  same with Brody and Afolabi 3 months loan....    I always think it is lazy recruitment and if we are going for 5 or 6 what does that tell us,   but as I said in a n earlier post McCabe has gave this side a chance and to be blunt the players haven't taken it,  to be honest we need a physical centre half just as much as a striker,   Fordyce who I like struggles in the air in both boxes,   Peter head will play basic percentage football next week,   aggression,  compact,  and attack set pieces,  we need to win this none of this mollycoddled pish of the FB page,  we have Falkirk on the horizon after that...

Correct. Need to be blunt about the squad and move on from the romanticised perceptions of last seasons players.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

Getting loanees is a,bit of Russian roulette,   last season was good McInroy 3 months loan only,  same with Brody and Afolabi 3 months loan....    I always think it is lazy recruitment and if we are going for 5 or 6 what does that tell us,   but as I said in a n earlier post McCabe has gave this side a chance and to be blunt the players haven't taken it,  to be honest we need a physical centre half just as much as a striker,   Fordyce who I like struggles in the air in both boxes,   Peter head will play basic percentage football next week,   aggression,  compact,  and attack set pieces,  we need to win this none of this mollycoddled pish of the FB page,  we have Falkirk on the horizon after that...

I think your going to be disappointed if the rumours at Arbroath yesterday have any substance of 3 loan signings this week.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

I think your going to be disappointed if the rumours at Arbroath yesterday have any substance of 3 loan signings this week.

Disappointed with the signing's or no signing's to happen? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

Getting loanees is a,bit of Russian roulette,   last season was good McInroy 3 months loan only,  same with Brody and Afolabi 3 months loan....    I always think it is lazy recruitment and if we are going for 5 or 6 what does that tell us,   but as I said in a n earlier post McCabe has gave this side a chance and to be blunt the players haven't taken it,  to be honest we need a physical centre half just as much as a striker,   Fordyce who I like struggles in the air in both boxes,   Peter head will play basic percentage football next week,   aggression,  compact,  and attack set pieces,  we need to win this none of this mollycoddled pish of the FB page,  we have Falkirk on the horizon after that...

We’re unlikely to get someone as good as him but the difference in physicality between Charlie Fox and our team in both boxes in the play-off final last season was ridiculous, nobody could get near him. Playing your classic bruiser centre back might cause issues playing out from the back, which is where Watson or McCabe help, but I do agree some more physicality is needed at times.

As far as loans go though, they’re now just a necessary part of football. We live in a world of short contracts so if we’re able to bring in a player short-term who improves us, as McInroy, Paterson and even McGill did, then that can only be a good thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Mr November said:

We’re unlikely to get someone as good as him but the difference in physicality between Charlie Fox and our team in both boxes in the play-off final last season was ridiculous, nobody could get near him. Playing your classic bruiser centre back might cause issues playing out from the back, which is where Watson or McCabe help, but I do agree some more physicality is needed at times.

As far as loans go though, they’re now just a necessary part of football. We live in a world of short contracts so if we’re able to bring in a player short-term who improves us, as McInroy, Paterson and even McGill did, then that can only be a good thing.

Aye no more Jonquin 's now then, 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Was this the entire rumour you heard or were specific names mentioned?

Only a Celtic striker who has been mentioned on countless occasions since xmas.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s obvious the plan wasn’t to bring in a number of players the final week before the regular season starts and now I’m hoping there isn’t some ‘panic’ signings or loans to cover the team. I have been quite impressed with some of the players brought in and they will all play a part throughout the season but our inability to secure some of the key players we know McCabe has been after is worrying. We are definitely lacking at least 2 if defense, 1 in midfield and a striker. Thats a big ask to bring in all of those players (I mean quality additions who will strengthen the team) over the next couple of weeks as the season gets up and running. We should be in a position where we are only looking for 2-3 players with solid options in just about every position. I am NOT against multiple loan players coming in and see little difference between a 10 month loan or a one year contract. Inevitably we’ll probably get a better quality player on loan so I’m all for it. Falkirk have managed a good loan signing from Rangers and we need to bring in the same kind of quality from the top flight. But we need urgency now and Rhys has a big pressure week ahead. I would expect no less than 2 additions to the squad, and not bench warmers - we’ll see if that happens. Hutton’s interview was spot on, we absolutely need 3 points next week or alarm bells will start ringing. Peterhead are in a bad position and other than the fact it’s an away game, we couldn’t have asked for better opposition to start the campaign off. I’m extremely hopeful for this season but these last few additions to the squad will be vital, much of the ground work has been done, I’m really hoping Rhys and co can make some magic happen so we can surpass last seasons successes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, FLDiamond said:

It’s obvious the plan wasn’t to bring in a number of players the final week before the regular season starts and now I’m hoping there isn’t some ‘panic’ signings or loans to cover the team. I have been quite impressed with some of the players brought in and they will all play a part throughout the season but our inability to secure some of the key players we know McCabe has been after is worrying. We are definitely lacking at least 2 if defense, 1 in midfield and a striker. Thats a big ask to bring in all of those players (I mean quality additions who will strengthen the team) over the next couple of weeks as the season gets up and running. We should be in a position where we are only looking for 2-3 players with solid options in just about every position. I am NOT against multiple loan players coming in and see little difference between a 10 month loan or a one year contract. Inevitably we’ll probably get a better quality player on loan so I’m all for it. Falkirk have managed a good loan signing from Rangers and we need to bring in the same kind of quality from the top flight. But we need urgency now and Rhys has a big pressure week ahead. I would expect no less than 2 additions to the squad, and not bench warmers - we’ll see if that happens. Hutton’s interview was spot on, we absolutely need 3 points next week or alarm bells will start ringing. Peterhead are in a bad position and other than the fact it’s an away game, we couldn’t have asked for better opposition to start the campaign off. I’m extremely hopeful for this season but these last few additions to the squad will be vital, much of the ground work has been done, I’m really hoping Rhys and co can make some magic happen so we can surpass last seasons successes.

McCabe has stated prior to the Arbroath game we need 5 or 6 that would bring the squad up to the 19 mark excluding the young laddies, that should be workable and should be enough to cover for injuries etc....I

 

Very interesting week, we have been waiting for this all summer

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting that Cove have put Rory on the transfer list, and Russell McLean is on Peterhead's transfer list, really hope he doesn't go back to Peterhead and plays against us. Especially as Saturday is a must win game with the tough run of fixtures coming up.fb3ca4d2131782e91a5b71fcb7dfdc21.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, FLDiamond said:

It’s obvious the plan wasn’t to bring in a number of players the final week before the regular season starts and now I’m hoping there isn’t some ‘panic’ signings or loans to cover the team. I have been quite impressed with some of the players brought in and they will all play a part throughout the season but our inability to secure some of the key players we know McCabe has been after is worrying. We are definitely lacking at least 2 if defense, 1 in midfield and a striker. Thats a big ask to bring in all of those players (I mean quality additions who will strengthen the team) over the next couple of weeks as the season gets up and running. We should be in a position where we are only looking for 2-3 players with solid options in just about every position. I am NOT against multiple loan players coming in and see little difference between a 10 month loan or a one year contract. Inevitably we’ll probably get a better quality player on loan so I’m all for it. Falkirk have managed a good loan signing from Rangers and we need to bring in the same kind of quality from the top flight. But we need urgency now and Rhys has a big pressure week ahead. I would expect no less than 2 additions to the squad, and not bench warmers - we’ll see if that happens. Hutton’s interview was spot on, we absolutely need 3 points next week or alarm bells will start ringing. Peterhead are in a bad position and other than the fact it’s an away game, we couldn’t have asked for better opposition to start the campaign off. I’m extremely hopeful for this season but these last few additions to the squad will be vital, much of the ground work has been done, I’m really hoping Rhys and co can make some magic happen so we can surpass last seasons successes.

Honestly that boy Algeria Falkirk have signed was absolutely stinking. Like terribly bad 

 

Also read Watson getting a hard time but honestly Bobby makes a fool of everyone he plays. He genuinely made the ref and the Fylde full back fall on their arse at the same time on Wednesday in the friendly we played due to chopping on to his left and right that much, the guy is unbelievable and has gotten better with age

 

Think all the loans will be happening soon though. I would actually quite like to see Dylan Paterson from ourselves go on loan to someone like yourselves or Alloa. He’s got bags of potential but I think he needs regular games in League 1

 

Thought the tall boy centre mid yesterday the number 17 did really well. He was very classy and composed on the ball, you obviously look to play out a lot and a lesser player than him would’ve lost the ball in dangerous positions several times yesterday with our press but he took the ball in really well and I thought he was good

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Honestly that boy Algeria Falkirk have signed was absolutely stinking. Like terribly bad 

 

Also read Watson getting a hard time but honestly Bobby makes a fool of everyone he plays. He genuinely made the ref and the Fylde full back fall on their arse at the same time on Wednesday in the friendly we played due to chopping on to his left and right that much, the guy is unbelievable and has gotten better with age

 

Think all the loans will be happening soon though. I would actually quite like to see Dylan Paterson from ourselves go on loan to someone like yourselves or Alloa. He’s got bags of potential but I think he needs regular games in League 1

 

Thought the tall boy centre mid yesterday the number 17 did really well. He was very classy and composed on the ball, you obviously look to play out a lot and a lesser player than him would’ve lost the ball in dangerous positions several times yesterday with our press but he took the ball in really well and I thought he was good

 

 

Yesterday was the only game so far he hasn’t scored in, so Arbroath obviously did something right there! He was on loan from Kilmarnock during the second half of last season and played a few games but was mostly just padding out the squad. He’s played all four games so far, partly because we’re very light on numbers, but it’s fair to say he’s grabbed his chance and done really well. I’m hopeful he can really kick on this season, he’s a decent all rounder and seems to have a great skill of arriving into the box just where the ball ends up.

On Watson, I alluded to it earlier but that’s just what happens sometimes when you come up against a very good player from the league above. Linn’s goal during the week was ridiculous, he’s certainly not slowing down much mentally or physically.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...