Jump to content

The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond


Recommended Posts

Finally caught up tonight listening to the guys( with the England women game on background mute as they thump Norway) . Great to hear how the season looks for us and made me laugh at the trialists section on Pilvi etc. Can't remember MacAvennie as one so will need to research. We also behad been talking about Sissoko on way to Cowdenbeath.  Tougher game tomorrow.

He (MacAvennie) definitely played v the Rovers at Cliftonhill one preseason at the tail end of his career - can’t remember if that was his only game though. Obviously he didn’t sign in the end!
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I noticed on his own Instagram account he says he's signed a full-time contract. Could just be the vernacular he's chosen to use but I wouldn't have thought all of the academy players would be on full-time deals. 

Edited by airdrieman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

I noticed on his own Instagram account he says he's signed a full-time contract. Could just be the vernacular he's chosen to use but I wouldn't have thought all of the academy players would be on full-time deals. 

He might be bigging himself up to his mates haha 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Looks like he was on the books at Falkirk last season. @Bainsfordbairn might know a bit more about the boy? 

Wow. I didn't know he'd left us, but then the kids are on a summer break at the moment and I don't see them every week anyway. 

He was one of our U16 players who became U18s at the start of the season, which I think was around January / February. He's still a wee boy just now - small, slight  of frame and can get pushed off the ball - but in my (inexpert) eye he has a fair bit of potential. He's composed in possession,  can pick a pass and can finish. 

He's not first team material at the moment due to his young age but he could well get there in a couple of years. I'm a bit gutted we've lost him tbh. 

 

 

Kyan Gunn (4) .jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

I noticed on his own Instagram account he says he's signed a full-time contract. Could just be the vernacular he's chosen to use but I wouldn't have thought all of the academy players would be on full-time deals. 

I believe with the Academy lads the FT deal includes college or other workplace training.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good to see the accademy stuff be confirmed and that Gow is involved, as others have said, a great player and seemed to reach his potential.

As for Afolabi, I cant believe he is getting a decent move, didnt see anything in him that suggested he was a player, his goals against Montrose reminded me of a fellow Thompson who didnt score all season then scored 4 in the last game of the season at Inverness. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Wow. I didn't know he'd left us, but then the kids are on a summer break at the moment and I don't see them every week anyway. 

He was one of our U16 players who became U18s at the start of the season, which I think was around January / February. He's still a wee boy just now - small, slight  of frame and can get pushed off the ball - but in my (inexpert) eye he has a fair bit of potential. He's composed in possession,  can pick a pass and can finish. 

He's not first team material at the moment due to his young age but he could well get there in a couple of years. I'm a bit gutted we've lost him tbh. 

 

 

Kyan Gunn (4) .jpg

Thanks for that. That’s encouraging to hear. Ultimately the academy will only work if Gow, and the coaches involved, have an eye for a player. Hopefully he makes the physical progress needed over the next year or two. 

20 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

I believe with the Academy lads the FT deal includes college or other workplace training.

That’s really encouraging to hear also. At our level especially, it’s even more important young players have qualifications, work experience and something(s) to fall back on or another form of employment if they move into/stay in part-time football. Glad that Gow and the club are prioritising this and will hopefully make us an attractive prospect for players and parents. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Airdrie76 said:


He (MacAvennie) definitely played v the Rovers at Cliftonhill one preseason at the tail end of his career - can’t remember if that was his only game though. Obviously he didn’t sign in the end!

Thanks for update and that's something I missed out on. The Frankie boy became more famous thanks to Johnny Watson!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Genuinely quite surprised that the pen hasn't been out before tonight's game
Think McMaster's injury is just a knock, if he's out or if McCabe doesn't want to risk him. Gal would come in which means we'd potential go for a 343/433. I think we'd still be fine for the game even if the pen isn't out tonight.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, David Fernández said:
1 hour ago, cb_diamond said:
Genuinely quite surprised that the pen hasn't been out before tonight's game

Think McMaster's injury is just a knock, if he's out or if McCabe doesn't want to risk him. Gal would come in which means we'd potential go for a 343/433. I think we'd still be fine for the game even if the pen isn't out tonight.

Need to win this one, do well to take anything from next two. St mirren game on premier sport,having said that a couple of players in right place before St mirren and Arbroath game might change that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Airdrie76 said:


He (MacAvennie) definitely played v the Rovers at Cliftonhill one preseason at the tail end of his career - can’t remember if that was his only game though. Obviously he didn’t sign in the end!

Confirmed by my archivist that he also played against Queen of the South . How did I forget!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If we're not going to be signing anyone before tonights game the Club should really be considering getting a couple of the young lads on amateur contracts so we at least have a few bodies on the bench incase of emerency.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...