The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

I missed all the games v Raith last season so don't think I've ever seen Wedderburn play before but I think he'd certainly be an upgrade on Millar and Gallagher from last season. He's done reasonably well at a higher level so hopefully, he'd do a job for us. 

There are several question marks over his fitness but no doubt Craig Barr would be an outstanding signing. I don't think we could hang our hat on him to play every week but even getting more than half the season out of him would be a good return. I do think we need another centre half (or maybe two if Fordyce is a bit injury prone and if we sign Barr given his previous injury history) and at least one holding midfielder (ideally two) so Barr and Wedderburn would certainly fit that bill. Hopefully, some news soon on a decent striker or two as well. 

Edited by airdrieman

Folk on Twitter wailing and weeping last week, with the season barely finished. Creaming their collective pants this week after a couple of decent "on paper" signings.

Fickle bunch.

Although it's looking promising, I'd still place us nowhere near contenders for the top spot and would caution that the likes of Robertson and Page came to us rated highly.

Folk on Twitter wailing and weeping last week, with the season barely finished. Creaming their collective pants this week after a couple of decent "on paper" signings.

In fairness, that’s just Twitter in general. Every thread is dialled up to 11.

A Buddie told me the other day that Eckersley runs his own martial arts school. Based on that fact alone, I reckon he has the potential to join the list of legendary Airdrie left backs.

8 hours ago, Pesadilla said:

Fickle bunch.

Although it's looking promising, I'd still place us nowhere near contenders for the top spot and would caution that the likes of Robertson and Page came to us rated highly.

What I actually find hilarious is the ones who’ve looked for every possible opportunity to moan about the club, lack of communication, signings etc, who’ve now all but vanished when the good news comes. Can’t even comment on the positives. There’s fickle, but then there’s sheer backwards. 

Barr is a great signing IF he can stay fit (that always seems to be a concern). Wedderburn has never stood out. Don’t know much about Fordyce but suggestion on Queens thread is he’s a player - although not looked the same since being badly injured. Time will tell but good to see experience now being signed up.

Where would you play him but in a back three or as a holding mid?

Christ. Hutton plus Eckersley, Fordyce & Crighton... All we need now is a right back and we’ll be on track for conceding about 10 goals next season.

Just looked back at our defensive record once Murray was appointed and we conceded an average of almost exactly one goal per game, which is pretty impressive and was the best in the league.

Happy with progress to date on structure and signings. We are at least doing the work and doing it early. I'm sure that M&M know we need strikers and fingers crossed that'll come.

Communications have improved and I'd say are now excellent.

Only thing I'd like to see progress on is what Steve Clark called, in his Killie resignation speech, ' the disconnect between the board and the fans' . I think he may have called it the most important thing.  To this end I'd like to see peace made between the board and the trust. 

Once we are all pulling in the same direction we will do well.

32 minutes ago, bbbbb said:

Only thing I'd like to see progress on is what Steve Clark called, in his Killie resignation speech, ' the disconnect between the board and the fans' . I think he may have called it the most important thing.  To this end I'd like to see peace made between the board and the trust. 

Once we are all pulling in the same direction we will do well.

Don't think that will happen as the "Community Trust" is now doing lots of what the "Supporters Trust" used to do.....without any fan involvement.

53 minutes ago, Tulloch Gorum said:

Barr would be a really good signing, if he can keep relatively injury-free.

Interested to see if he's signing up as full time or part time.  Training part time seemed to help his niggling injuries clear up a wee bit, but he's still susceptible to a 4 monther on the sidelines at any given time though. 

13 minutes ago, Pesadilla said:

Don't think that will happen as the "Community Trust" is now doing lots of what the "Supporters Trust" used to do.....without any fan involvement.

Yup, noticed that with the "free kids season ticket announcement".

https://www.airdriefc.com/seasontickets-310519

It says it's funded by the Allstars charity game.

I don't know whether Naveed and Co knew that this is what was planned when they signed up for the charity game but, if they weren't, I feel slightly uneasy about the community trust (i.e., effectively the the club themselves) taking a decision that the proceeds will be used in a way that commercially benefits the club.

8 minutes ago, stuartcraig said:

Yup, noticed that with the "free kids season ticket announcement".

https://www.airdriefc.com/seasontickets-310519

It says it's funded by the Allstars charity game.

I don't know whether Naveed and Co knew that this is what was planned when they signed up for the charity game but, if they weren't, I feel slightly uneasy about the community trust (i.e., effectively the the club themselves) taking a decision that the proceeds will be used in a way that commercially benefits the club.

I'm not ITK with these things but to a casual observer it looks like PH has seen the work the Trust has done, the money generated, and rather than going to the Supporters Trust with a begging bowl, he's decided to do some that work himself.

I'm sure there will be noses out of joint in the Supporters Trust and they look to be completely sidelined. Whether or not you think that's a bad thing, there's no doubt the supporters won't be involved in any of the decision making at the club.

For the vast majority, it matters not a jot if we get a decent brand of football on the park and have a reasonable shot at promotion....

15 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:

Good thing done by the club, yet people try to look behind it and come up with a conspiracy. Looking forward to the supporters trust next statement.

Don't think it's very conspiratorial to suggest that the Community Trust is doing some of what the Supporters Trust used to do, and now the money goes direct to the club in the form of free season books for youngsters, instead of being held by the Supporters Trust.

In fact it's fairly Black and White......

Edited by Pesadilla

• Moon changed the title to The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond