The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

23 hours ago, Moon said:

personally I'm hoping at least some of it is being held as a Daily Record style warchest for some actual footballers in the summer.

I'd hazard a guess very little money will go on strengthening the squad. It'll be used to plug losses. 

It is widely rumoured that Airdrie have massively overspent on their wages budget even to the extent of 150k. How in the name of goodness could this happen? Did somebody not tell Findlay what his budget was? Who was keeping an eye on it?It’s almost unbelievable. “Amateurish” does not adequately describe it. That’s if it’s true. If it’s not, rant withdrawn!

It is widely rumoured that Airdrie have massively overspent on their wages budget even to the extent of 150k. How in the name of goodness could this happen? Did somebody not tell Findlay what his budget was? Who was keeping an eye on it?It’s almost unbelievable. “Amateurish” does not adequately describe it. That’s if it’s true. If it’s not, rant withdrawn!

If that’s the case, then the potential is there to overspend by at least 75k next season, given that half the squad are on a 2 year deal. Even if we release some of them, we would have to pay up their contract. This would leave us with very little money to replace them and we could be forced to go with the youth and utilise the loan system. This would most probably lead to another wasted season, at the end of which we’ll hopefully still be in League 1.

150k deficit in wages budget must be nonsense........do the sums. The figure of 150k first appeared when a question was asked about the Celtic game.

So the money from the Celtic game has gone straight into PH’s bank account to cover his apparent losses.

So the money from the Celtic game has gone straight into PH’s bank account to cover his apparent losses.

I'm never one to throw about accusations but that sounds like whats happening here.

I've no doubt we could have overspent, that's the kind of stupidity that would top this disaster right off.

Wait years on a payday like this in the cup.....

Only for it to be snaffled away to cover "losses".

1 hour ago, OTL2014 said:

Yes, coincidence that...

PH has to sustainably invest – no Airdrieonians FC, no stadium – and vice versa.. Championship football would get more bums on seats, generate additional finance – but this will mean investment . If he is in the game of reducing his loses and putting minimum investment into the club, the stadium and club will ultimately die  - not immediately but they will die.  And that’s a no win for everyone including PH.

Even though I have no idea of the Airdrie wage budget, I can't envisage how you end up overspending by that much.  If we generously say as an average that part time clubs spend about £5K a week in wages (that's 20 players at £250 a week) then that equates to £260K for the year (I reckon clubs will spend less than that overall though). Surely Airdrie haven't spent more than half of that budget again on wages?  Even allowing for the players Airdrie moved on/brought in, I cannot understand how that figure is reached.

Even though I have no idea of the Airdrie wage budget, I can't envisage how you end up overspending by that much.  If we generously say as an average that part time clubs spend about £5K a week in wages (that's 20 players at £250 a week) then that equates to £260K for the year (I reckon clubs will spend less than that overall though). Surely Airdrie haven't spent more than half of that budget again on wages?  Even allowing for the players Airdrie moved on/brought in, I cannot understand how that figure is reached.
I think what a lot of folk are alluding to is that we HAVEN'T overspent by that much, but it might just be a convenient way of disposing of a 6 figure profit from the Celtic cup game.
I'm not ITK but if there's accounts published that show that the Celtic money has been used to offset "losses" then major questions need asked.

18 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I think what a lot of folk are alluding to is that we HAVEN'T overspent by that much, but it might just be a convenient way of disposing of a 6 figure profit from the Celtic cup game.
I'm not ITK but if there's accounts published that show that the Celtic money has been used to offset "losses" then major questions need asked.

Ah, that's fair enough aye.

9 hours ago, Roger Thornhill said:

PH has to sustainably invest – no Airdrieonians FC, no stadium – and vice versa.. Championship football would get more bums on seats, generate additional finance – but this will mean investment . If he is in the game of reducing his loses and putting minimum investment into the club, the stadium and club will ultimately die  - not immediately but they will die.  And that’s a no win for everyone including PH.

Bingo! Congratulations Roger Thornhill. 

Anyone with an IQ of higher than 10 can figure out its very much in PH's interest to have a successful football team. A winning team means a busier stadium. One must compliment the other. Something that's sadly been lacking for many years at Airdrie and is now being rectified. Some problems are being ironed out but the club will be better for it going forward once those with an agenda have been flushed out.