The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

17 minutes ago, South Stand Dynamo said:

I see we are linked with Kieran MacDonald in the Courier, what's your thoughts on him Diamonds? 

Comfortable on th e ball ,  easily brushed aside at left back and final ball poor athletic not the worst left back.  best position is left centre back where he is decent and strolls through games, depends if your manager plays a back 3.  Personally liked him.

30 minutes ago, South Stand Dynamo said:

I see we are linked with Kieran MacDonald in the Courier, what's your thoughts on him Diamonds? 

Decent enough player but not too fussed he's going. Has plenty of pace which I think gets him out of trouble a lot! Good going forward but then hopeless at times with his final ball. More suited to left centre back than left back.

Says on our official site we've accepted an offer for him so could definitely be heading your way.

4 hours ago, South Stand Dynamo said:

Makes some great driving runs forward with the ball but has no end product. I've always found him to be positionally suspect. He gets caught out a lot both in open play and at set pieces. He's a good athlete though so he can sometimes get away with it. Can also play left centre-half in a back three and to be fair to him, he was part of a defence that was solid and organised under Murray and that had one of the best defensive records in the league. That was maybe the best backline he'd been a part of since he joined us so maybe he's better beside more organised and competent players. He's rarely injured or suspended so he's a very reliable player. Don't think he'll ever be the best left-back in this league but he's probably 'fine'. Don't think he'd be able to make the step up though. 

Glad we're managing to have a bit more of a clearout than maybe we intended to and that we're shifting some of the contracted players out early. I know Page and Conroy haven't found a club yet but they both have a decent enough reputation at this level (deserved or not) so I'm sure somebody will pick them up. 

Posting that McIntosh had signed before it was official is a redneck but don't think there was any malice in it or much to it more than incompetence. The club has changed their policy though which makes sense, good to see they've answered questions about what happened and have taken steps to ensure it doesn't happen again. 

Can only echo what others have said above. Some of the negativity and the comments online, in the Facebook group, in particular, have been utterly ludicrous. 

McIntosh has done to you what Paul McManus did to us about 15 years ago. Agreed to sign, we put it on our website, then East Fife offered him more money at the last minute and he signed for them instead. We now never publish anything officially until it is completely signed, sealed and delivered.

A slightly more relaxed and positive vibe on this thread over the last 24hrs which makes a pleasant change. 

Theres a long way to go before the start of next season but I’ve a good feeling about the next couple of weeks in that we will see a few more players leave and some decent signings coming in. 

Heard some names being mentioned that I’d be happy with. Not inside info per say, more rumours which is why I’m not mentioning said names as Could be total nonsense. However my overarching feeling of positivity comes from my belief that we have the right people in charge and we are starting to see better communication from the club. Those two things alone make me have faith. 

59 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

McIntosh has done to you what Paul McManus did to us about 15 years ago. Agreed to sign, we put it on our website, then East Fife offered him more money at the last minute and he signed for them instead. We now never publish anything officially until it is completely signed, sealed and delivered.

Did one of our directors not have a hand in screwing up the registration?

On 26/05/2019 at 10:19, South Stand Dynamo said:

I always felt he got a bit more of a hard time than he deserved, but at the same time I'm not fussed in the slightest he is away. As has been mentioned, if you want a decent League One full-back who will be able to play every week then he fits the bill. If you're really looking to add quality to your side to allow you to challenge Falkirk then I'm not so sure what he will add.

Anyway, I'm quite happy as many players as possible are leaving. We've said this so many times before but we need as much of a fresh start as possible and a squad of guys hand picked by the current management team, not just guys who are still here because no-one else will take them. I'd rather we take the risk and try and sign better, with the potential for it going wrong, than just settling for season after season of 5th-6th place finishes which last season's squad would no doubt provide for eternity.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

18 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I'd rather we take the risk and try and sign better, with the near certainty of it going wrong, than just settling for season after season of 5th-6th place finishes which last season's squad would no doubt provide for eternity.

Fixed that for you.

So with the League Cup draw tomorrow lunchtime apparently.
Who we looking for?

First Seeds:

Motherwell (8)

Livingston (9)

Hamilton Academical (10)

St Mirren (11)

Second Seeds:

Ayr United (16)

Morton (17)

Partick Thistle (18)

Dunfermline Athletic (19)

South (Unseeded):

Queen of South (21)

Falkirk (22) 

Airdrieonians (27)

Dumbarton (28)

Stranraer (30)

Clyde (34)

Edinburgh City (35)

Annan Athletic (36)

Queen's Park (39)

Albion Rovers (41)

Berwick Rangers (42)

East Kilbride (LL) 

I'd propose a group of:

Motherwell
Hamilton
Airdrie
Albion Rovers
East Kilbride

So with the League Cup draw tomorrow lunchtime apparently.
Who we looking for?

First Seeds:

Motherwell (8)

Livingston (9)

Hamilton Academical (10)

St Mirren (11)

Second Seeds:

Ayr United (16)

Morton (17)

Partick Thistle (18)

Dunfermline Athletic (19)

South (Unseeded):

Queen of South (21)

Falkirk (22) 

Airdrieonians (27)

Dumbarton (28)

Stranraer (30)

Clyde (34)

Edinburgh City (35)

Annan Athletic (36)

Queen's Park (39)

Albion Rovers (41)

Berwick Rangers (42)

East Kilbride (LL) 

I'd propose a group of:

Motherwell
Hamilton
Airdrie
Albion Rovers
East Kilbride

I’d be happy with any of the top seeds to be honest. Livi/ Hamilton/ St Mirren are all beatable and it would be good to get a derby with Motherwell.

From the second seeds, you would expect Partick to be much stronger next season so would like to avoid them. Other than that, it would be nice to avoid the long distance games like Stranraer/ QoS/ Annan but not fussed generally.

The new League Cup format has been a breath of fresh air IMO, looking forward to it!

Decent enough player but not too fussed he's going. Has plenty of pace which I think gets him out of trouble a lot! Good going forward but then hopeless at times with his final ball. More suited to left centre back than left back.
Says on our official site we've accepted an offer for him so could definitely be heading your way.

I believe it's Raith Rovers manager obviously does not fancy him I thought he was one of our better players maybe Ian Murray has targeted a replacement.

On ‎26‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 10:54, DiamondJack85 said:

I'll be stunned if John McGlynn has been given money to spend on a transfer fee.

1 hour ago, Zen Archer said:

I'll be stunned if John McGlynn has been given money to spend on a transfer fee.

I think it would be more like his contract with Airdrie has been transferred which would be the only cost.

Signing news incoming... let’s hope he’s signed on the dotted line this time!

Kyle MCDonald from Them. Murray seems to be going for youth. Will need a bit of experience at some point.

Just now, 2lgm said:

Kyle MCDonald from Them. Murray seems to be going for youth. Will need a bit of experience at some point.

With us full time, aiming to get into the starting XI, so possibly not signed with a 1st team playing guarantee.

42 minutes ago, stuartcraig said:

With us full time, aiming to get into the starting XI, so possibly not signed with a 1st team playing guarantee.

Still not sure who are the FT and PT players but I await further round up in time for pre season games. The League cup draw would be ok if it were "new visits".