The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Tory Boy seems quite happy a little more I TK (reliable though), the club always state they will only unveil new signings when paperwork is signed,can only assume players have agreed to join the club and  just need formalities done before the fountain pen appears again..I

Still convinced we will sign a couple from Alloa and QOS,  hopefully all will be unveiled soon..

Of the 4 we're still waiting hear from the big two I'd love to sign again are Connolly and Fitzpatrick. I doubt they would make a sidestep to yourselves tbh. They'll be at Championship level or go where there's money. Cooper may well be a shout given we've signed Quitongo. East is another possibility as well but again I'll be surprised if he moves sideways.

Of the ones we released, you're welcome to them!

Tory Boy seems quite happy a little more I TK (reliable though), the club always state they will only unveil new signings when paperwork is signed,can only assume players have agreed to join the club and  just need formalities done before the fountain pen appears again..I

Still convinced we will sign a couple from Alloa and QOS,  hopefully all will be unveiled soon..

Not sure I’m overly excited by the idea but I feel like we’re a stick on to sign Steven Boyd from Alloa.

49 minutes ago, Diamond Oracle said:

Not sure I’m overly excited by the idea but I feel like we’re a stick on to sign Steven Boyd from Alloa.

Wouldn’t say no to him, be a good option to have. Could play anywhere in that front 3

52 minutes ago, Diamond Oracle said:

Yeah I reckon we might sign him too, though I that last summer as well for some reason. He's not quite good enough to be a regular starter for us but he'd be a good option from the bench or to rotate in to cover injuries. I liked him when he was on loan at Albion Rovers years ago but he hasn't quite kicked on since then. Him and Telfer would be a decent start to our midfield options if we can get them. 

I've already mentioned Lewis Martin but another ex-Dunfermline player I could see us signing is Dan Pybus. He played with McCabe at Queen of the South and while he wouldn't really fit the way we played last season, he'd probably do a job in midfield if needed and would offer something different. I think he was one of Dunfermline's better players last season but that's mostly due to how bad and unbothered everyone else was. 

I could see us signing is Dan Pybus. He played with McCabe at Queen of the South and while he wouldn't really fit the way we played last season, he'd probably do a job in midfield if needed and would offer something different. I think he was one of Dunfermline's better players last season but that's mostly due to how bad and unbothered everyone else was. 

If by "something different" you mean running around like a headless chicken constantly to cover for the fact he's an appalling football player then yes, I'd agree.

An absolute imposter. Gobsmacked he isn't in the Premier League yet considering it was apparently our fault he was so shite.

23 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Yeah I reckon we might sign him too, though I that last summer as well for some reason. He's not quite good enough to be a regular starter for us but he'd be a good option from the bench or to rotate in to cover injuries. I liked him when he was on loan at Albion Rovers years ago but he hasn't quite kicked on since then. Him and Telfer would be a decent start to our midfield options if we can get them. 

I've already mentioned Lewis Martin but another ex-Dunfermline player I could see us signing is Dan Pybus. He played with McCabe at Queen of the South and while he wouldn't really fit the way we played last season, he'd probably do a job in midfield if needed and would offer something different. I think he was one of Dunfermline's better players last season but that's mostly due to how bad and unbothered everyone else was. 

Boyd is a player I’ve always liked. He’s not had the career I thought he’d have but he’d be a better option off the bench than Jordan Allan and that 4th/5th choice forward position is a position we will need to fill. Would be very happy for Lewis Martin to come on board. 

13 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Russell McLean will end up at you lot watch this space.

I don’t rate McLean as much as some Airdrie fans seem to but no doubt he’s an effective League 1 striker. Would be happy with that bit of business. 

27 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Russell McLean will end up at you lot watch this space.

Am I right in thinking yourself or another Montrose fan had us down as being interested in him last summer too? I like him and while he’s a step down from Gallagher and Smith, he’s a good option to have alongside Salim and McGill, if he stays. I thought we’d go for another pacey striker rather than someone like McLean but I’d be happy enough with him. He always seems to cause us problems so at least that would stop. 

10 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

If by "something different" you mean running around like a headless chicken constantly to cover for the fact he's an appalling football player then yes, I'd agree.

An absolute imposter. Gobsmacked he isn't in the Premier League yet considering it was apparently our fault he was so shite.

I can’t say I’ve seem lots of him but I had him down as someone who ran around a lot, won tackles but was poor technically, a bit like Kieran Millar. You’ll have seen far more of him than I have though. Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t particularly want to sign him but I don’t think it’s an unrealistic shout.

2 hours ago, Mr November said:

Lewis Martin but another ex-Dunfermline player I could see us signing is Dan Pybus.

I would take both back at East End. Pybus did well for us last year regardless of how shite the rest were and Martin is a great player when fit.

I can’t say I’ve seem lots of him but I had him down as someone who ran around a lot, won tackles but was poor technically, a bit like Kieran Millar. You’ll have seen far more of him than I have though. Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t particularly want to sign him but I don’t think it’s an unrealistic shout.

Nah he doesn't win many tackles. He wins a decent amount of interceptions I suppose because he runs constantly but even if he gets the ball he does little with it.

I would take both back at East End. Pybus did well for us last year regardless of how shite the rest were and Martin is a great player when fit.

Aye he probably ran himself in to the ground tbf. But look at his performances in detail and I bet he contributed little.

4 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Aye he probably ran himself in to the ground tbf. But look at his performances in detail and I bet he contributed little.

Can't really speak for his performances in a Queens shirt but he contributed a fair bit for us. Broke up attacks and was comfortable on the ball. The headless chicken assessment is not what I witnessed in all honesty. Maybe he just improved.

Edited by Chubbychops

Can't really speak for his performances in a Queens shirt but he contributed a fair bit for us. Broke up attacks and was comfortable on the ball. The headless chicken assessment is not what I witnessed in all honesty. Maybe he just improved.
Or maybe the players around him were so bad they made him look competent...

5 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
14 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

Or maybe the players around him were so bad they made him look competent...

Not sure what your issue is with him but no, he was decent for us regardeless of the shite around him. Just like I stated above.

Edited by Chubbychops

Not sure what your issue is with him but no, he was decent for us regardeless of the shite around us. Just like I stated above.
It's not an issue really, I just think he's pish. Though I do have a slight chip on my shoulder about in as he bad-mouthed us after he left. As if he was some kind of footballing god and he wasn't given the chance to shine. Nice to see his next move was to a side who were relegated.

9 hours ago, Diamond Oracle said:

Exactly the type of player we don't need, lightweight and done nothing in his career to suggest he can be a starter for us.  Dick Campbell says he only signs players that are better than what he's got which is the philosophy i concur with.

You would think we have only 1 more striker to sign (assuming Gabby is till there) then Boyd would be totally underwhelming,

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

Exactly the type of player we don't need, lightweight and done nothing in his career to suggest he can be a starter for us.  Dick Campbell says he only signs players that are better than what he's got which is the philosophy i concur with.

You would think we have only 1 more striker to sign (assuming Gabby is till there) then Boyd would be totally underwhelming,

Boyd is probably an 8 to 10 goal striker,  not great, it remember Smith was only getting 6 or so until his breakout season just ended,   brings us into the elephant in the room can you see Murray coming in for Smith before the season, possibly.....   Maybe that is the reason we could be *loading* up on forward players....

7 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Boyd is probably an 8 to 10 goal striker,  not great, it remember Smith was only getting 6 or so until his breakout season just ended,   brings us into the elephant in the room can you see Murray coming in for Smith before the season, possibly.....   Maybe that is the reason we could be *loading* up on forward players....

Yeh, but Callum Smith and Gabby to a lesser extent can play wide, and often did last year where there pace means they can get in behind defences where as Gal & Sal are more central focal point strikers. Sal's return to full fitness might also have a bearing on who comes in.