Jump to content

The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Kenny_m said:

Ah well that's Grant Savoury gone to Queens Park. 

To be fair they've announced him as a 26 year old attacker, so hopefully they've signed the wrong one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Diamond10 said:

Plenty options available. Charlie Telfer maybe worth a shout.

Murray tried to sign him last year and I believe had spoken to him again before going to Raith.

McCabe and Telfer were at Rangers at the same time so be interesting to see whether he goes for him.

Edited by Tory Boy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I also wondered about a couple of other ex-Rangers players who are looking for clubs. Kirk Broadfoot or Chris Burke (albeit McCabe would have been in the youth team when Burke was playing). But how would they feel being managed by someone quite a few years younger than them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Diamond10 said:

Plenty options available. Charlie Telfer maybe worth a shout.

Time will tell but Savoury a lot younger, potentially on the way up and importantly could have a sale value whilst Telfer looks to be heading in the opposite direction. Seems to be quite talented though from what i've seen although Falkirk fans suggest he's a bit lightweight. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think from watching Falkirk last season I liked the look of Aidan Nesbitt as a number 10. I think he's still contracted there but had fallen out of favour at the later end of last season. Question marks on if he'd be in McGlynn's plans or not. I think he'd be a cracking player linking up with Frizzell in midfield. I think Telfer would probably be a bit deeper, seems to be a decent footballer too although highlighted as a bit lightweight by some falkirk posters and there are still questions on whether McCabe would slot back into midfield or play himself at centre back.

I'm delighted with the players that have signed up so for next season, I do think we have to get a suitable replacement for Easton though, imagine we will have a few targets in mind, especially with Grant Savoury signing for Queens Park. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Tory Boy said:

I also wondered about a couple of other ex-Rangers players who are looking for clubs. Kirk Broadfoot or Chris Burke (albeit McCabe would have been in the youth team when Burke was playing). But how would they feel being managed by someone quite a few years younger than them. 

Think younger managers are becoming a bit more common these days but maybe not as young as 29 , although some of the greatest in the game at the moment , Tuchel , Nagelsmann and Favre all started very young. Obviously I'm not saying there's a direct comparison in talent,  just that age isn't as big a factor as it use to be.

Cue someone coming on and having a go at me for saying Rhys Mccabe is the next Thomas Tuchel...

Edited by Rossm25
Cause I'm humpty at spelling
Link to comment
Share on other sites

FFC 1876 posted these stats from last season on the Falkirk thread.

Dylan Easton - 8 goals, 9 assists
Charlie Telfer - 5 goals, 8 assists
Luca Connell - 7 goals, 5 assists
Stefan Scougall - 4 goals, 8 assists
Fraser Fyvie - 8 goals, 2 assists
Grant Savoury - 6 goals, 4 assists
Scott Brown - 6 goals, 3 assists
Rhys Mccabe - 5 goals, 4 assists
Adam Frizzell - 3 goals, 5 assists

I know there is more to the game than just goals but I certainly think Telfer is someone we should be considering. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

Probably nothing but I noticed that Fernandy Mendy and some French chap that played for Queen’s Park a couple of years ago liked our tweet about the new pitch. 

He seems like a lovely guy but he can stay as far away from our signings list as possible please. 

I reckon he might get a Championship club but I’d be really happy with Telfer. We’re never going to replace Easton, in terms of numbers and style of play, but Telfer would compliment Frizzell quite well and I think he’ll improve away from Falkirk. 

Talking of Falkirk, they signed a new left back yesterday who will presumably be first choice. I know we all had a good laugh at him last season but if we can’t get Paterson back then we could do a lot worse than ask about Leon McCann.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

I think from watching Falkirk last season I liked the look of Aidan Nesbitt as a number 10. I think he's still contracted there but had fallen out of favour at the later end of last season. Question marks on if he'd be in McGlynn's plans or not. I think he'd be a cracking player linking up with Frizzell in midfield. I think Telfer would probably be a bit deeper, seems to be a decent footballer too although highlighted as a bit lightweight by some falkirk posters and there are still questions on whether McCabe would slot back into midfield or play himself at centre back.

I'm delighted with the players that have signed up so for next season, I do think we have to get a suitable replacement for Easton though, imagine we will have a few targets in mind, especially with Grant Savoury signing for Queens Park. 

I'll drop him off for yous. 

38 minutes ago, Tory Boy said:

FFC 1876 posted these stats from last season on the Falkirk thread.

Dylan Easton - 8 goals, 9 assists
Charlie Telfer - 5 goals, 8 assists
Luca Connell - 7 goals, 5 assists
Stefan Scougall - 4 goals, 8 assists
Fraser Fyvie - 8 goals, 2 assists
Grant Savoury - 6 goals, 4 assists
Scott Brown - 6 goals, 3 assists
Rhys Mccabe - 5 goals, 4 assists
Adam Frizzell - 3 goals, 5 assists

I know there is more to the game than just goals but I certainly think Telfer is someone we should be considering. 

I've definitely missed someone on the list no doubt but just wanted to show a gauge of how good Telfer actually is at this level.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quite astonished that the last few posts have cited 3 Falkirk players as potential signings who were absolutely pish last year. Telfer would be the only one worthy of consideration but we need a more physical stronger type of player.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Quite astonished that the last few posts have cited 3 Falkirk players as potential signings who were absolutely pish last year. Telfer would be the only one worthy of consideration but we need a more physical stronger type of player.

Brad Mckay's got bloody big muscles, fancy him?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Quite astonished that the last few posts have cited 3 Falkirk players as potential signings who were absolutely pish last year. Telfer would be the only one worthy of consideration but we need a more physical stronger type of player.

Dumbarton fans also disliked Adam Frizzell and said they weren't fussed to see him go. It's not uncommon to see players leave Falkirk and go on to perform better elsewhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, David Fernández said:

I think from watching Falkirk last season I liked the look of Aidan Nesbitt as a number 10. I think he's still contracted there but had fallen out of favour at the later end of last season. Question marks on if he'd be in McGlynn's plans or not. I think he'd be a cracking player linking up with Frizzell in midfield. I think Telfer would probably be a bit deeper, seems to be a decent footballer too although highlighted as a bit lightweight by some falkirk posters and there are still questions on whether McCabe would slot back into midfield or play himself at centre back.

I'm delighted with the players that have signed up so for next season, I do think we have to get a suitable replacement for Easton though, imagine we will have a few targets in mind, especially with Grant Savoury signing for Queens Park. 

There will be a few more leaving Falkirk yet I think. Whether Nesbitt and McCann are amongst them remains to be seen. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

Dumbarton fans also disliked Adam Frizzell and said they weren't fussed to see him go. It's not uncommon to see players leave Falkirk and go on to perform better elsewhere.

The league is far stronger this year than last and we need to aim higher with the quality of signings.  need to try.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

There will be a few more leaving Falkirk yet I think. Whether Nesbitt and McCann are amongst them remains to be seen. 

Be a struggle to get rid of Leon with 2 years of his contract to run which is probably out with most League 1 sides budget, unless he's willing to take a cut of course. Hopefully it's not our way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Given we signed a left back yesterday then McCann will be second choice unless the plan is to play him further up. He's been a disappointment tbh, expected a lot more from him. A lot might depend on if he has any sort of clause in his contract. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...