The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

2 hours ago, WeAllDreamOfATeamOfAndyRyans said:

emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngobviously is, considering one is 49 and the other is 32 and most recently played in the Juniors

Paul Keegan is 37 but doesn’t appear to have played in a couple of years, the other one you are spot on.  Just watched this years goalfest.  Strikes absolute fear into me thinking about guys like these in place of Easton etc. hoping for good news this week 

5 hours ago, FLDiamond said:

Paul Keegan is 37 but doesn’t appear to have played in a couple of years, the other one you are spot on.  Just watched this years goalfest.  Strikes absolute fear into me thinking about guys like these in place of Easton etc. hoping for good news this week 

The Paul Keegan that played for Airdrie was about 37 when we actually signed him! I still remember turning up for that friendly against Norwich only to see him starting up front and then scoring a diving header. His very late equaliser against Ayr was a good laugh though.

5 hours ago, FLDiamond said:

That's a different Paul Keegan. The one that played for us is 49. 

3 hours ago, Tory Boy said:

That's a different Paul Keegan. The one that played for us is 49. 

Lol.  I figured ours could only be coming back in a coaching capacity, his namesake still able to play possibly but hasn’t been in action since Covid basically. Ok, glad this is just a joke.  Hoping for a couple of quality signings..this week.  If I think back on all the garbage we’ve signed over the last 20 years though it gives me shivers.  Last year being one of this seasons where you are happy with 90% of the squad, praying for the same this season.  

6 hours ago, FLDiamond said:

Lol.  I figured ours could only be coming back in a coaching capacity, his namesake still able to play possibly but hasn’t been in action since Covid basically. Ok, glad this is just a joke.  Hoping for a couple of quality signings..this week.  If I think back on all the garbage we’ve signed over the last 20 years though it gives me shivers.  Last year being one of this seasons where you are happy with 90% of the squad, praying for the same this season.  

That's how far the club has progressed from the Malone, Keegan days they were a struggle....

No white smoke coming from the Excelsior all quiet,    when is the Alan Go w Chinese Youth Academy getting unveiled,    Championship winning playears signed,  not to mention a qualified coach ( We can have more than one you know)..

Interesting couple of posts on the face book group ,  a member of the inner sanctum posted ( now taken d own). Pre season will be starting around the 18 th,  most teams are back around the 11th,  Some teams  are playing friendlies on the 21st and basically don't expect any news on signings etc for another fortnight or so...

last year we were on point signing wise Frizz signed last season on the 5th June, Dylan and McCabe were  the 11th June....  

There is plenty time admittedly,  but the other 3 expected top teams budget wise seem to be getting a head start on us,  

6 minutes ago, Passionate said:

That's how far the club has progressed from the Malone, Keegan days they were a struggle....

No white smoke coming from the Excelsior all quiet,    when is the Alan Go w Chinese Youth Academy getting unveiled,    Championship winning playears signed,  not to mention a qualified coach ( We can have more than one you know)..

Interesting couple of posts on the face book group ,  a member of the inner sanctum posted ( now taken d own). Pre season will be starting around the 18 th,  most teams are back around the 11th,  Some teams  are playing friendlies on the 21st and basically don't expect any news on signings etc for another fortnight or so...

last year we were on point signing wise Frizz signed last season on the 5th June, Dylan and McCabe were  the 11th June....  

There is plenty time admittedly,  but the other 3 expected top teams budget wise seem to be getting a head start on us,  

Who have the other 3 signed thats worth note ? 

13 minutes ago, Rossm25 said:

Who have the other 3 signed thats worth note ? 

Dunfermline..   Benedictus,    Raith

Falkirk....   Henderson. ,  Arbroath,  

Donaldson,    Dunfermline

QOS...... Wilson,    Reilly. Both Morton

And they signed a keeper from a club that lost 1 game in 23,  Has played in last 2 playoff finals and had second highest number of clean sheets in the season just past..

The names concerned have all signed from championship clubs and if you are honest would walk into our side, probably even last season's side...

Almost every year at this time fans start panicking about a lack of signings. A quick glance at other club threads shows it's not unique to us, it's most clubs. The first couple of weeks of June are the gap between players re-signing, and potential new signings picking their club from the options they have available (and probably getting back from holiday), so you are going to get a couple of weeks of very little happening. Players who sign for new clubs quickly, like Currie and Quitongo, generally do so because of a lack of offers to choose from, which isn't a great sign. Things will rapidly pick up pace before pre-season starts.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

Other than currie and benidictus I've not really heard of the others. 

I liked currie but to big him up is a bit far. He was OK,  never came off his line and cost us big goals in big games. 

We've signed most of who we would keep from last season except easto  and the best RB in our league. Dying for more pen action like the rest of us but I'm not getting hysterical just yet

9 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Dunfermline..   Benedictus,    Raith

Falkirk....   Henderson. ,  Arbroath,  

Donaldson,    Dunfermline

QOS...... Wilson,    Reilly. Both Morton

And they signed a keeper from a club that lost 1 game in 23,  Has played in last 2 playoff finals and had second highest number of clean sheets in the season just past..

The names concerned have all signed from championship clubs and if you are honest would walk into our side, probably even last season's side...

2 minutes ago, Rossm25 said:

I liked currie but to big him up is a bit far. He was OK,  never came off his line and cost us big goals in big games. 

We've signed most of who we would keep from last season except easto  and the best RB in our league. Dying for more pen action like the rest of us but I'm not getting hysterical just yet

Do you think we are in danger of becoming he Full Time 'Backstop'. Unable to get a deal with clubs who are a week ahead of us in pre season and preparation..That to me isn't how a championship winning team works..

26 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Do you think we are in danger of becoming he Full Time 'Backstop'. Unable to get a deal with clubs who are a week ahead of us in pre season and preparation..That to me isn't how a championship winning team works..

Not really no, people were saying the same thing last season and we had a great team on the park. 

Out of the signings you mentioned the other big clubs have made you haven't really taken into account the whole picture. All of those clubs need a massive over haul of playing staff , 2 relegated clubs who went down without any real fight and a Falkirk who need more than 2 players. Also you look at QOS , they are signing players other teams have binned, one from us and 2 from a poor morton team. 

Like I said I'm wanting signings as well but I'm not clambering for signings for the sake of it when we've kept a solid core together and managed to get rid of some players who just had no impact what so ever. 

Like others have mentioned folk will  be away on holiday , there's also wee things like if players are going from part time to full time they may need to hand in notices etc. 

Just don't get the "we're miles behind other teams" patter when the other teams are a riot. Or the lad a week or two ago saying our close season had been quiet when it had been 9 days...

Edited by Rossm25

Players who sign for new clubs quickly, like Currie and Quitongo, generally do so because of a lack of offers to choose from, which isn't a great sign. Things will rapidly pick up pace before pre-season starts.

Nah I'd say the opposite tbh. Players are likely to hold out for as long as possible. They won't jump at the first offer that comes their way. We're still waiting to hear back about players from last season we've made deals to. They won't take the offer until they know what else is available. Given our squad was assembled late on last season and we saw the calibre of players that attracted (the dregs no one else wanted in a lot of cases) I think I'm much happier getting players signed early.

I'll grant you Quitongo though. He seems to have been floating around here for a while and maybe couldn't believe his luck a FT side wanted him but I'd say he's a rare example rather than the norm.

Probably because they're Championship quality players and you've been down here for a while. Similarly I wouldn't know many League 1 and 2 players. Can't really comment on Henderson tbh but Reilly, Wilson and Donaldson would get in to any side in this division and could all easily do a job in the Championship as well.