The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

9 hours ago, Passionate said:

It's been a funny old week,   Murray leaves for Raith not unsurprising our maverick Dylan Easton follows him, at this point I am led to believe that discussions were taking place for Agne w to takeover the managers role and McCabe his no2,,  Agnew then was asked to become Murray's full time no 2 at Raith, which he accepted...I

After that McCabe was asked and ultimately promoted to the position of. Player Manager with Club Captain Fordyce himself promoted to Assistant manager

It has been implied that virtually no one was willing to sign on initially, were they lowballed money wise, are they signing due to increased terms of the money saved from the previous management team a figure around 50k..  Will the difference saved by wages be put into an increased player budget,,, Have we a budget to compete in this league.?????

Cammy Ballantyne from Montrose was signed today, Good player and a bit of a coup, he is a clear Murray signing as he had actually agreed terms about 10days ago,  another player that Murray wanted and more or less agreed terms was Scott Brown from Peterhead, unfortunately now the lad looks like following Murray to Raith,  we(Murray) had also enquired about Grant Savoury of Peterhead although obviously someone else would have to resurrect that deal...

A pretty savage release list dropped this morning and all these players were rubber stamped by Murray last week,   leaving us with. 2 signed players Smith and Sal,    and a maximum of a further 6 of last season's squad being offered terms...GK coach, physio and data,analyst have all left the club also..  Is that enough to constitute keeping the team DNA etc together,    I struggle to  understand how we made such a quick appointment when there were clear qualified experienced managers looking for a gig..

This could turn out to a complete masterstroke by the club,  but currently we have a manager, assistant manager and a first team coach and we don't have a coaching badge between them,  therefore no games even if we wanted to can b played at this time,   it feels a little of the Stevie Findlay time and who could forget Willie Aitchison who baled us out,  due to Fitzy being at a wedding and no other qualified coaches in that derby against the Rovers...

we have just had the season of our life 72 points,  , 2nd in the league,   20game unbeaten Club record ,   Football and goals not seen for generations.....I

Time Will tell if this is the right road to go down,  if not it will unravel pretty quickly,   it's takes many years to build a club up, it just takes a,wrong decision to lose all those years of hard work..

Some good points but i assume the club statement below includes addressing the qualified coaches situation and backroom staff.

"We will ensure that a fully comprehensive support structure is put in place to support Rhys and Callum in their managerial journey at Airdrieonians"

With regards to Rhys taking the reigns i think it's fair to say it's a big risk and having a scan around it seems fans of other clubs don't regard it as a positive move with most citing it as a cheap option. Perhaps the philosophy is based on strenthening the budget on the playing side which i would be in favour of. It's all about what happens on the field!

Rhys did point out in his interview that "player talks" in some instances had been going on for weeks or even months so I would think you are bang on the money with regards to Ballantyne, Brown and Savoury and obviously this would apply also to our free list.

Certainly an interesting time but Rhys does seem to be a right cool customer.

9 hours ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Seen a few “we should keep Jordan Allan” posts kicking about and for the life of me I don’t really know why other than the usual “he runs about and he’s from Airdrie” babble. He’d quite literally be 5th in line to start a game. Last season he started five games, was subbed on 21 times and scored three goals. I simply don’t get the clamour, I’m afraid. Resources that can be used elsewhere on the squad.

It's the same every season, there always seems to be one player a small number of fans get strangely infatuated with and are desperate to keep/disproportionately annoyed about getting released. See also Kurtis Roberts, Big Nat and Griffin Sabatini. As soon as Allan scores against Fraserburgh or whichever other jobber side in the League Cup there will be folk straight onto that Facebook group posting about how we should have kept him!!! I liked him fine as a squad player but he's totally replaceable. If he didn't play for our youth side years ago I don't think people would be as keen on him. 

Cammy Ballantyne is a real coup and delighted to see his signing come to fruition. He's been the best right-back in League 1 for a few years and it's madness he's not (yet) playing in the Championship. 

Those League Cup fixtures are decent. The two best away days on Saturday afternoons although it'd have been nice for the St Mirren game to be on a Saturday also. I'll only be able to make the Edinburgh City game, which is the least appealing one unfortunately, but hopefully our new team and manager will be enough of a draw to make it interesting. Potential decider against Arbroath in the last game. Would be nice to finally make it through a group stage and get a money-spinner in the next round. 

1 minute ago, airdrieman said:

It's the same every season, there always seems to be one player a small number of fans get strangely infatuated with and are desperate to keep/disproportionately annoyed about getting released. See also Kurtis Roberts, Big Nat and Griffin Sabatini. As soon as Allan scores against Fraserburgh or whichever other jobber side in the League Cup there will be folk straight onto that Facebook group posting about how we should have kept him!!! I liked him fine as a squad player but he's totally replaceable. If he didn't play for our youth side years ago I don't think people would be as keen on him. 

Don’t forget Ally Roy who was going to score “at least” double figures at Queen of the South.

Pleased to get Watson signed up. He had a very good season overall and seemed to up his game when MacDonald came in after a drop in form, so hopefully having Ballantyne there is great competition for him. You’d be doing well to have two better right backs in your squad than those two in this league.

1 minute ago, Mr November said:

Don’t forget Ally Roy who was going to score “at least” double figures at Queen of the South.

Pleased to get Watson signed up. He had a very good season overall and seemed to up his game when MacDonald came in after a drop in form, so hopefully having Ballantyne there is great competition for him. You’d be doing well to have two better right backs in your squad than those two in this league.

Can obviously cover at centre back as well and also provides some much needed height.

14 hours ago, KD1711 said:

No idea but they are both done deals AFAIK. Have named both previously goalie on loan from Celtic and Hutton as player coach.

Hope we announce their signings at the same time in the same post. The seethe from yer Celtic da's who are STILL mad about Hutton's penalty save and celebration 3.5 years after the fact would be tremendously entertaining. 

22 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

By way of comparison, Gabby McGill started 14, subbed on 5 times, scored 6 goals. No difference.

10 hours ago, notsofedupendie said:

Cammy is the best RB in L1 by a mile and you’ve landed a gem .. he should be a level above. He’ll always be a Mo legend. Hope you lot get relegated.😉😉

He was offered a deal by two championship clubs so clearly others feel as you do.

10 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

More excellent news RE Watson. A good League 1 right-back, decent going forward, can cover a couple of positions, has a physical presence and a real leader and good professional. Now announce Frizzell! 

Good signing, reliable,    dont think it states contract length for either him or Ballantyne can understand Watson being a one year,  I would hope that Ballantyne is on a two year deal if not we are clearly no learning from our mistakes....

30 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

You're right, and it's interesting if you look back over the last 5 years or so, how many players that we've released have moved up the way? Literally the only one I can think of who has sustained a place in a better team is Scott Stewart (although even then I don't know if he chose to leave).

To your list you could add McIntosh, Cammy Russell, I even remember a bizarre fuss over Chris O'Neill being released. There are numerous more and they've all pretty much gone downwards. There's been a couple like Ally Roy who on the face off it moved up a league but all they've done is managed to trick another club into signing them and have been quickly found out at a club who got relegated.

One thing the club have got right in recent years is being more ruthless with who we move on which I think is shown by our steady improvement year on year.

4 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

You're right, and it's interesting if you look back over the last 5 years or so, how many players that we've released have moved up the way? Literally the only one I can think of who has sustained a place in a better team is Scott Stewart (although even then I don't know if he chose to leave).

To your list you could add McIntosh, Cammy Russell, I even remember a bizarre fuss over Chris O'Neill being released. There are numerous more and they've all pretty much gone downwards. There's been a couple like Ally Roy who on the face off it moved up a league but all they've done is managed to trick another club into signing them and have been quickly found out at a club who got relegated.

One thing the club have got right in recent years is being more ruthless with who we move on which I think is shown by our steady improvement year on year.

Kieran MacDonald too. Him and Stewart were both on that list of transfer listed players in 2019, albeit unlike the jobber group who we just wanted rid of (Page, Conroy etc) they were both listed as available for transfer if a suitable offer came in. I suspect any fee we received was minimal but they’re the only two I can think of who we’ve actively got rid of and have done well at a higher level. I was surprised at how well MacDonald did at Raith but Stewart was always a good player who seemed to be stagnating at Airdrie. I think that was a move that needed to happen for everyone.

I’m sure Dean Cairns was another one of that group too. I suppose it partially goes back to Airdrie being more willing than most clubs to give players a chance since Jimmy Boyle’s time, so you end up with a load of guys who have links to Airdrie which people like to see, but ultimately the players aren’t very good.

2 minutes ago, Aufc said:

We seem to have a good relationship with Celtic so hopefully we can get some more decent loans from them (apparently keeper already on route)

Ah loans, touchy subject!

I always feel loan players need to be starters in our strongest 11 which is something that was a bit mixed last season. McInroy, Paterson and McGill to a lesser extent were but Macdonald, Devenny & Afolabi rarely contributed much although Jon did wake up in the play offs.

Of course the other side of that his how much they cost.

17 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Kieran MacDonald too. Him and Stewart were both on that list of transfer listed players in 2019, albeit unlike the jobber group who we just wanted rid of (Page, Conroy etc) they were both listed as available for transfer if a suitable offer came in. I suspect any fee we received was minimal but they’re the only two I can think of who we’ve actively got rid of and have done well at a higher level. I was surprised at how well MacDonald did at Raith but Stewart was always a good player who seemed to be stagnating at Airdrie. I think that was a move that needed to happen for everyone.

I’m sure Dean Cairns was another one of that group too. I suppose it partially goes back to Airdrie being more willing than most clubs to give players a chance since Jimmy Boyle’s time, so you end up with a load of guys who have links to Airdrie which people like to see, but ultimately the players aren’t very good.

Players find their level. , remember an uproar on here when Murray binned Deano, to be fair to Cairns he has now found his level in the West of Scotland League at Kirkintilloch Rob Roy fun illy enough  Matthew Kerr,   Arran Ross, Robbie Leighton, Craig Truesdale have also plied their trade at this level the past season..

Players find their level. , remember an uproar on here when Murray binned Deano, to be fair to Cairns he has now found his level in the West of Scotland League at Kirkintilloch Rob Roy fun illy enough  Matthew Kerr,   Arran Ross, Robbie Leighton, Craig Truesdale have also plied their trade at this level the past season..

Actually heard something the other day about how a good a season craig truesdale has had there and is getting a decent move this summer

3 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Rhys did point out in his interview that "player talks" in some instances had been going on for weeks or even months

Just to emphasize this point. Craig Watson just tweeted that he "signed months ago"