The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

19 minutes ago, Diamond10 said:

First signing of the McCabe era ✅

Did Cammy Ballantyne score against us in the playoffs? 

Nah, this was the one who played left back and gave Kyle MacDonald a very tough time over both legs. An excellent signing, he’s been consistently the best right back in the league for several years now and it weakens one of our rivals. Given how badly this week started for Airdrie, we’ve had an exciting finish.

8 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

If we have any aspirations of winning the league then Gal cannot be our No 1 striker, simply we will need better.

Dunfermline have Todorov, Wighton, O'Hara & McCann and perhaps made add to. I'd take anyone of them over him.

I've long believed that to win League 1 you need to have 4 or 5 players that could comfortably play in the Championship.

There's not really any basis for saying this. I went and looked at the stats from this season. Firstly, Gallagher was the top scorer in the division from open play. Megginson and McAllister shared 10 penalties between them which put them ahead of Gallagher who doesn't/didn't get to hit them because of McCabe and Easton, but if Gallagher hit our penalties he'd have been top scorer, even if he missed a couple of them.

The other claim is that his build up play etc isn't great which overall I'd agree with, but in terms of assists he had the same as McAllister (2) and 4 less than Megginson. I know there is more to build up play and all round striker play than assists, but when you combine goals from open play and assists he was just as productive, if not more so, than the Cove pair in virtually the same number of appearances.

If you include Smith and Gallagher as a pair who look like being our main strikers at the moment, they scored a combined 27 goals in the 36 game league campaign, with 0 penalties. The Cove pairing scored 34 including 10 penalties. Again, in open play our attackers were more productive. Therefore to claim we need better, when they have already shown last season they are just as productive as the league winning strikers, is just wrong. Many fans, including myself on numerous occasions, bemoaned our lack of a top striker to win us the league but actually when you break it down that wasn't the issue, it was defensive solidity to see out big games that Cove had and we didn't.

I'm not claiming Gallagher is anything special, or that he is going to lead us to a title, but what is clear is that with the right service around him he absolutely can be part of a promotion winning team. The big change this year is no Easton who played a big part in Gal and Smith's goals. But on the other hand the right forward position was a real weak link this year and a better signing there could cancel out Easton's loss. Has Gallagher got limitations? Absolutely. But as has been said numerous times strikers who score more than 15 goals a season and have an all round game to match do not sign for League 1 sides. That doesn't mean we shouldn't also try and sign someone else too, we should. But given the contribution highlighted above it was a no brainer to re-sign him

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

17 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

There's not really any basis for saying this. I went and looked at the stats from this season. Firstly, Gallagher was the top scorer in the division from open play. Megginson and McAllister shared 10 penalties between them which put them ahead of Gallagher who doesn't/didn't get to hit them because of McCabe and Easton, but if Gallagher hit our penalties he'd have been top scorer, even if he missed a couple of them.

The other claim is that his build up play etc isn't great which overall I'd agree with, but in terms of assists he had the same as McAllister (2) and 4 less than Megginson. I know there is more to build up play and all round striker play than assists, but when you combine goals from open play and assists he was just as productive, if not more so, than the Cove pair in virtually the same number of appearances.

If you include Smith and Gallagher as a pair who look like being our main strikers at the moment, they scored a combined 27 goals in the 36 game league campaign, with 0 penalties. The Cove pairing scored 34 including 10 penalties. Again, in open play our attackers were more productive. Therefore to claim we need better, when they have already shown last season they are just as productive as the league winning strikers, is just wrong. Many fans, including myself on numerous occasions, bemoaned our lack of a top striker to win us the league but actually when you break it down that wasn't the issue, it was defensive solidity to see out big games that Cove had and we didn't.

I'm not claiming Gallagher is anything special, or that he is going to lead us to a title, but what is clear is that with the right service around him he absolutely can be part of a promotion winning team. The big change this year is no Easton who played a big part in Gal and Smith's goals. But on the other hand the right forward position was a real weak link this year and a better signing there could cancel out Easton's loss. Has Gallagher got limitations? Absolutely. But as has been said numerous times strikers who score more than 15 goals a season and have an all round game to match do not sign for League 1 sides. That doesn't mean we shouldn't also try and sign someone else too, we should. But given the contribution highlighted above it was a no brainer to re-sign him

Spot on great post. Gabby can get a few goals and salim if fit could be a big player 

11 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

The "but" which followed suggests it's not beyond a possibility?  All good fun reading both views. 

Ah you noticed!

Anyway, i do think we will sign another striker as Gabby (if he signs) & Smith seem to be utilised in wider postions quite often which really only leaves Salim (fitness ???) as the only other out and out centre forward.  

Of course we have a new manager and perhaps he might look to play a different system although i'm one for signing good players and worry about the system later.

It's been a funny old week,   Murray leaves for Raith not unsurprising our maverick Dylan Easton follows him, at this point I am led to believe that discussions were taking place for Agne w to takeover the managers role and McCabe his no2,,  Agnew then was asked to become Murray's full time no 2 at Raith, which he accepted...I

After that McCabe was asked and ultimately promoted to the position of. Player Manager with Club Captain Fordyce himself promoted to Assistant manager

It has been implied that virtually no one was willing to sign on initially, were they lowballed money wise, are they signing due to increased terms of the money saved from the previous management team a figure around 50k..  Will the difference saved by wages be put into an increased player budget,,, Have we a budget to compete in this league.?????

Cammy Ballantyne from Montrose was signed today, Good player and a bit of a coup, he is a clear Murray signing as he had actually agreed terms about 10days ago,  another player that Murray wanted and more or less agreed terms was Scott Brown from Peterhead, unfortunately now the lad looks like following Murray to Raith,  we(Murray) had also enquired about Grant Savoury of Peterhead although obviously someone else would have to resurrect that deal...

A pretty savage release list dropped this morning and all these players were rubber stamped by Murray last week,   leaving us with. 2 signed players Smith and Sal,    and a maximum of a further 6 of last season's squad being offered terms...GK coach, physio and data,analyst have all left the club also..  Is that enough to constitute keeping the team DNA etc together,    I struggle to  understand how we made such a quick appointment when there were clear qualified experienced managers looking for a gig..

This could turn out to a complete masterstroke by the club,  but currently we have a manager, assistant manager and a first team coach and we don't have a coaching badge between them,  therefore no games even if we wanted to can b played at this time,   it feels a little of the Stevie Findlay time and who could forget Willie Aitchison who baled us out,  due to Fitzy being at a wedding and no other qualified coaches in that derby against the Rovers...

we have just had the season of our life 72 points,  , 2nd in the league,   20game unbeaten Club record ,   Football and goals not seen for generations.....I

Time Will tell if this is the right road to go down,  if not it will unravel pretty quickly,   it's takes many years to build a club up, it just takes a,wrong decision to lose all those years of hard work..

8 minutes ago, notsofedupendie said:

Cammy is the best RB in L1 by a mile and you’ve landed a gem .. he should be a level above. He’ll always be a Mo legend. Hope you lot get relegated.😉😉

I really believe any team in this division could get relegated.

It's been a funny old week,   Murray leaves for Raith not unsurprising our maverick Dylan Easton follows him, at this point I am led to believe that discussions were taking place for Agne w to takeover the managers role and McCabe his no2,,  Agnew then was asked to become Murray's full time no 2 at Raith, which he accepted...I
After that McCabe was asked and ultimately promoted to the position of. Player Manager with Club Captain Fordyce himself promoted to Assistant manager
It has been implied that virtually no one was willing to sign on initially, were they lowballed money wise, are they signing due to increased terms of the money saved from the previous management team a figure around 50k..  Will the difference saved by wages be put into an increased player budget,,, Have we a budget to compete in this league.?????
Cammy Ballantyne from Montrose was signed today, Good player and a bit of a coup, he is a clear Murray signing as he had actually agreed terms about 10days ago,  another player that Murray wanted and more or less agreed terms was Scott Brown from Peterhead, unfortunately now the lad looks like following Murray to Raith,  we(Murray) had also enquired about Grant Savoury of Peterhead although obviously someone else would have to resurrect that deal...

A pretty savage release list dropped this morning and all these players were rubber stamped by Murray last week,   leaving us with. 2 signed players Smith and Sal,    and a maximum of a further 6 of last season's squad being offered terms...GK coach, physio and data,analyst have all left the club also..  Is that enough to constitute keeping the team DNA etc together,    I struggle to  understand how we made such a quick appointment when there were clear qualified experienced managers looking for a gig..

This could turn out to a complete masterstroke by the club,  but currently we have a manager, assistant manager and a first team coach and we don't have a coaching badge between them,  therefore no games even if we wanted to can b played at this time,   it feels a little of the Stevie Findlay time and who could forget Willie Aitchison who baled us out,  due to Fitzy being at a wedding and no other qualified coaches in that derby against the Rovers...

we have just had the season of our life 72 points,  , 2nd in the league,   20game unbeaten Club record ,   Football and goals not seen for generations.....I

Time Will tell if this is the right road to go down,  if not it will unravel pretty quickly,   it's takes many years to build a club up, it just takes a,wrong decision to lose all those years of hard work..

Ballantyne was not a Murray signing

As per a previous post it's been a funny old week. But, reading our thread since the Rhys appointment, the theme in general has been one of excitement. Plenty of caveats from pretty much everyone as its a bit of an experiment which could go t*ts up but I think it has maintained the connection to the team from last season and, by extension, some of the feel-good factor after the play-off kick in the heehaws.

If we'd appointed one of the merry-go-round jobbers I'm fairly sure optimism would be in short supply.

I'd agree with almost all of the release list with possible exception of Jordan Allan. Ballantyne a great signing. With Gal, I get as frustrated as anyone else with him at times but he'll get us 15 goals, even without East Fife

Let's hope for some more positive news soon

Edited by Spring Cup Winners

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

My initial thought when Murray left was ask Aggy if he wanted it. Maybe he thought it came too soon. McCabe certainly didn’t haha. 

I get the idea of continuity from last season but like you say it will be a totally different team / backroom staff.

As far as getting a coach with the relevant badges I’ve been wondering if we could get Sandy Clark in, in some capacity. Sure he would’ve worked with Rhys and Dycey at Dunfermline and possibly QoS also.

Seen a few “we should keep Jordan Allan” posts kicking about and for the life of me I don’t really know why other than the usual “he runs about and he’s from Airdrie” babble. He’d quite literally be 5th in line to start a game. Last season he started five games, was subbed on 21 times and scored three goals. I simply don’t get the clamour, I’m afraid. Resources that can be used elsewhere on the squad.