The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Happy to see Gal signed up for another season. Can't argue with his goal stats in this league but he is like every other player, he needs competition for his place. Hopefully we will see this soon in the form of a center forward who is more direct and has a bit of aggression about them.

2 minutes ago, dextermorgan said:

Happy to see Gal signed up for another season. Can't argue with his goal stats in this league but he is like every other player, he needs competition for his place. Hopefully we will see this soon in the form of a center forward who is more direct and has a bit of aggression about them.

Yup…… exactly 

4 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Don't disagree but clearly a league 1 striker as his stats in the championship with St Mirren and yourselves are not great.

He spent much of our time in the Championship playing as a winger, it was only laterly that Aitken played him up front and his record was good there. It was a poor decision by Duffy not to do more to keep him, he wanted to stay but was offered a pittance.

3 hours ago, Diamond1924 said:

Anyone who can control the ball, run fast, pass the ball to another person in the same jersey and score into a keeper-less net from 2 yards will do. 

I was aware you wouldn't be able to answer that question (because the striker you talk of doesn't exist at League 1 level) but this is some deflection nonetheless. 

Great to see Gal sign on again! I wonder what the situation with the captaincy will be this year? Will Fordyce remain captain now that he's assistant manager or will we get Captain Gal? I don't think it's a huge issue but just a curious position to be in. 

5 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Great to see Gal sign on again! I wonder what the situation with the captaincy will be this year? Will Fordyce remain captain now that he's assistant manager or will we get Captain Gal? I don't think it's a huge issue but just a curious position to be in. 

Diamond1924 might have a meltdown if Gal is given captaincy!

6 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

McCabe must go!

I think the post that announced McCabe as manager and Fordyce as his assistant implied that Fordyce would remain club captain. Which presumably means with both McCabe and Fordyce on the pitch, Fordyce is the leader ahead of his boss and Bryan Prunty can sub the pair of them off if he wants.

League Cup fixtures. I’ll miss the Cowdenbeath game but I think we got the two better away games there. The St. Mirren game is on the TV, I suppose our last Premier Sports TV game in this cup went quite well so hopefully the same this time!

56 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I think the post that announced McCabe as manager and Fordyce as his assistant implied that Fordyce would remain club captain. Which presumably means with both McCabe and Fordyce on the pitch, Fordyce is the leader ahead of his boss and Bryan Prunty can sub the pair of them off if he wants.

I know they were a bit older at the time but Owen Coyle and Yogi Hughes did extremely well as a player/management duo whilst still playing majority of the games too. 

The good thing is that we will have a bit of continuity going on the club next season as you have 2 of your best players staying on, which will have encouraged the likes of Gallagher to stay on etc.