The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

That's about as dull as a League Cup draw we could get without drawing Queen's Park for the thousandth time. Arbroath and Cowden are decent away days but neither at home is exactly appealing and Edinburgh City is just another league game. Possible to get through however. And not to go all yer da but competitive football returning on the 9th/10th July is preposterous. 

3 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Didn’t RM have a heart attack two or three weeks back?

He did but according either a Falkirk or RR fan he applied for Murray’s new job when it was up for grabs.  He’d be good for Airdrie if our playing budget suited him.  Honestly have no idea how this will work out or who we’ll get 

17 minutes ago, FLDiamond said:

He did but according either a Falkirk or RR fan he applied for Murray’s new job when it was up for grabs.  He’d be good for Airdrie if our playing budget suited him.  Honestly have no idea how this will work out or who we’ll get 

If we get McKinnon then a few from Queen’s Park’s released list are certainties to join. 

I have a feeling it might end up being Allan Johnston and Sandy Clark but I’d rather it wasn’t them. The John Rankin rumours are interesting though. I’ve always liked him and given his links to the town, he should know all too well what it would mean to us if he could get us promoted. I’m sure it would be an appealing job for him and he should have good contacts, as well as coaching experience at various levels.

4 minutes ago, Diamond Oracle said:

If we are going to go for a rookie manager, Rankin is the outstanding candidate IMO.

Wouldn’t be disappointed with Mackinnon or Kettlewell.

Sandy Clark could assist, let's go for it.

59 minutes ago, Diamond Oracle said:

If we are going to go for a rookie manager, Rankin is the outstanding candidate IMO.

Wouldn’t be disappointed with Mackinnon or Kettlewell.

MacKinnon or Kettlewell would be good appointments.  I’m steering away from a rookie manager so unsure about Rankin but if he knows the town, the fans and understands the club then he may be the right man for the job.  He’s going to have a hard time next season, this league will be tough.  Much tougher than last season.  As it stands, I think Montrose Dunfermline and Falkirk will be more than capable of beating each other next season.  But early days, we’ll see who arrives and departs.  If we can keep the basis of our team from last season and do some good business over the summer we’ll be in with a shout 

Just now, airdrieman said:

D76A0B01-4BAA-4C4D-BCF1-FAF64A488D0F.jpeg

This is ok if we find someone that's the same standard or better. Decent enough keeper at this level but had laspses of concentration at key points for us last season. Then again if he wasn't prone to those lapses of concentration he wouldn't have been at our level.

5 minutes ago, Diamond Oracle said:

Max Currie away by the looks of it. Not hugely disappointed with that. He was a competent league one GK but that’s about it.

Agreed.  Solid enough, but very replaceable.  New manager will have his own ideas on a keeper anyways 

2 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Shame would’ve been happy to keep currie pretty consistent for the most part, good keepers tough to come by at this level. Wish him all the best

Pretty much my thoughts too. I’d have kept him as while he had his faults, he was a decent keeper for this level. I suppose he hasn’t really developed much over his two seasons though. 

Assuming he stays part-time, I wonder where Currie will go as there isn’t an obvious bigger or sideways move other than Montrose or maybe Alloa who both need a keeper.

9 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Pretty much my thoughts too. I’d have kept him as while he had his faults, he was a decent keeper for this level. I suppose he hasn’t really developed much over his two seasons though. 

Assuming he stays part-time, I wonder where Currie will go as there isn’t an obvious bigger or sideways move other than Montrose or maybe Alloa who both need a keeper.

I'm not saying they were blatant errors but i do think he could have done better with the QP goals in open play.

Until you know who is replacing him it's hard to judge, but my initial reaction is quite happy with that. I thought with a better goalie this year we'd have won the league. With our lack of physical presence at the back we needed a commanding goalie and Currie is definitely not that. Also not convinced he's as good a shot stopper as people say - see play-offs for examples. The first goal in both legs would have been saved by a 'good shot stopper'. He's not terrible, but if you are going for a league title you need better than an average League 1 goalie, which is what he is.

With goalies there is always the risk that the replacement is a total liability however, so will need to see who is brought in.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

6 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

I'm not saying they were blatant errors but i do think he could have done better with the QP goals in open play.

That is him in a nutshell. Very rarely chucks in total howlers, but I constantly felt goals we conceded were partly down to him, usually involving poor positioning or not coming for crosses.

Can’t say I’m surprised Currie is away, anytime we’ve came up against him at Stranraer or Airdrie I’ve felt there’s a good chance of us scoring. The 2-2 game at Broadwood in January was largely down to him gifting us two goals with his positioning.