The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

2 hours ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Having given this some thought in recent days I'm not going to be too upset with Murray going if that's what happens.

He's failed to take us up and arguably this season was the best shot at it as I'd say our squad was as good, if not better, than Cove's yet we failed to beat them at all. We also failed to beat, in either leg of the play off final, a team who finished 21 points behind us. I can't even say that was us bottling it and was more likely Murray getting his tactics badly wrong and being outsmarted by Coyle. That and his loyalty to Agnew who had visibly tired as the play offs wore on and realistically should have been dropped with Kerr going to CD and McCabe to CDM against QP.

His tactics this season seem to have consisted of give the ball to Easton and that should make room for Frizzell when the opponent's ultimately double up on Easton. Without Easton would our side have taken as many points as we did? I don't think so, certainly not with Murray who never really seemed to have a plan B. Unless you consider sticking 5 players up front in desperation a plan B. How many times did he successfully change things when the game wasn't going our way, I'd be happy to say I'm wrong if someone can identify more than one occasion.

I'd have been happy for another season with him as it may have meant we had a chance of retaining players but Easton is a cert to leave anyway so I'm really not that fussed.

Have to trust that the board, unlike the manager, do have a plan B as without having him tied down beyond the end of the season there was always a chance he may be tempted elsewhere.

It's been a bloody marvellous season with some great football to watch but we achieved nothing at the end of the day and his job was to get us promoted which he failed to do.

I don't know if I agree with your point about Kerr playing and McCabe moving to midfield. Almost our entire unbeaten run was with McCabe at CB, Kerr had barely played all season and whenever he did seemed to give away a penalty. It's a massive call to change your centre back pairing for the biggest game of the season when our success this season was built on that partnership at the back. Especially when the other option is Kerr who has never inspired confidence in me. I thought McCabe was our best player in the play-off 2nd leg and I don't see how McCabe would have been able to cope with QP's runners in midfield any better than Agnew. I'm not entirely convinced McCabe would be particularly effective in midfield next season either, which a few people have suggested. His recent career suggests that he's kind of done in that position and that actually our shortage of centre backs might have accidentally resulted in him finding a new position he can play for a few years.

I agree more generally about tactics though. I posted in the Raith thread that the huge question mark over Murray is his results in the big games - title rivals and play-offs - where he has repeatedly failed over a few seasons. In the last 2 seasons our record against the rest of the league was just as good as Partick and Cove's, therefore it can't be put down to just not being as good a side as them. Yet we could only manage 2 draws and 5 defeats out of 7 games against them. Add in the play-off defeats and no cup runs to speak of and it raises questions about him tactically in these games.

I think some of our better players will be moving on regardless which makes me less bothered about Murray leaving. Part of me feels next season would have been a poor tribute act to this season with Murray still in charge and perhaps a new face with his own players in might be better. I'd rather Murray was staying but I'm not hugely bothered.

I wouldn’t bet on someone at the club taking the position.  I think the BOD will want someone with some experience to take over and steer the good ship Airdrie into the playoffs next season… I hope.  A well experienced Manager is something we’re going to need to get the best out of whatever players we have.   I’m really struggling to come up with some names so who knows how this will work out.  For my money, between all the clubs, I’m liking Montrose and Falkirk so far.  Montrose have the same squad, been knocking at the door a couple of years running and a probably where we were this time last year.  For Falkirk they are surely going to drop some cash to McGlynn but I know they have a lot of diddies under contract still.  But they will have renewed drive under new management, could be a different team next year.  dunfermline… I’m undecided yet.   Kelty Hearts?   Depends on the manager situation but they have the cash.   Things will be a bit clearer by next month 

I’d echo mybitchunderprotest’s post.

Like the McInroy situation in January the longer it rumbled on this week and last week the less likely he was staying.

I pass on my best wishes to Murray, I’ve always been a fan of his, he’s produced the best airdrie footballing side in years but let’s not get overly misty eyed here.

Ultimately we’ve came up short.

Hes been given time to build (more than most clubs would afford) and he has improved us year on year but ultimately he’s not achieved our goal of getting out this league in 4 attempts. This season has been excellent especially the second half of the season but our record in the “Big” games has been poor and that’s what keeps costing us.

I think Murray has been good to the club and the fans and vice versa, there’s obviously a good rapport there and I’m sure he will get a good reception at NB in the future but It maybe is time for a fresh start for us too. 

Id reiterate though he leaves with my best wishes and deserves a crack at championship. 

As for us I hope the board have been sounding out candidates already as the writing was on the wall a bit. Not sure who I’d go for but possibly Kettlewell, Allan Johnston or Jim McIntyre. Hope That prunty stays on and Aggy if he doesn’t go with Murray. 

Hope the club has offers on the table for most of the squad because  there is a good core already here even with a few leaving. No need for wholesale change.

44 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

Kettlewell would be my first choice.

Likewise but the only thing that puts me off him is that his success at Ross County was mega funded by our standards by MacGregor. We have a good owners who seem to back the club well but not in the same league as this guy.

19 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Interesting that the club are looking for new stadium sponsors after the Penny Cars deal has ended, rather than Penny Cars extending theirs. Can’t wait for home games at the Black Rooster Peri Peri Stadium.

Friendly v Darvel to christen the new stadium name? 

Speaking of which none of this NLL Cup and playing Clyde for the billionth time pish. Get us playing away somewhere we’d never play otherwise, whether in Scotland or down south or across the Irish Sea. 

Gabby McGill’s dad is the chairman of York City which would be ideal. Could contest the McGill-Jack McKay Cup. 

1 hour ago, Rossm25 said:

Kettlewell was at the play off games. Maybe we tapped him up early just in case Murray walked 

Yeah he was sitting with at the Montrose game with Paul Ronald wonder if that’s a possibility.

As I said in my previous post I hope Aggy and certainly Prunty will stay on.

23 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Friendly v Darvel to christen the new stadium name? 

Speaking of which none of this NLL Cup and playing Clyde for the billionth time pish. Get us playing away somewhere we’d never play otherwise, whether in Scotland or down south or across the Irish Sea. 

Gabby McGill’s dad is the chairman of York City which would be ideal. Could contest the McGill-Jack McKay Cup. 

Was it not York we played in the first game at the new stadium as well?

29 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Was it not York we played in the first game at the new stadium as well?

Yeah.

We also played a 4 team competition down at York in the 90's. Probably just after we signed Stevie Cooper from them.