The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Would Russell McLean not be a punt? Think he scored 17 goals for Peterhead and is available for transfer. Definitely would be within our budget.

He’s the really tall striker that got a bad injury against us when he was at Montrose isn’t he? Decent record and I’d like us to have an option up front with height like that but I haven’t really seen enough of him to know what type of striker he is. Might be worth a punt.

1 minute ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

He’s the really tall striker that’s and got a bad injury against us when he was at Montrose isn’t he? Decent record and I’d like us to have an option up front with height like that but I haven’t really seen enough of him to know what type of striker he is. Might be worth a punt.

Yeah that's the very one. Feel if we have to go long in games and grind out a result. He'd be a decent option alongside Smith, Gal and Salim

I'm sure there was talk that we were interested in McLean last summer. I like him, I'm not sure how good he actually is but he's always a handful for our defence and certainly brings something different to our current strikers. I feel like he's been around for a while now but he only turns 24 next month. I don't think we'd be able to bring in a player as good as Megginson but Gallagher, Smith, Salim, McLean and a quick backup like Jordan Allan would be strong for this level.

21 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

I think if you look at the context of things, Ian Murray was improved Airdrie every season he has been in. And taken us from mid table league 1 dross to actually challenging for a title. 

Also we had the covid reduced season and Stuart Miller's experiments like Robert and Sabitini who I didn't think Murray particularly wanted.

Would Russell McLean not be a punt? Think he scored 17 goals for Peterhead and is available for transfer. Definitely would be within our budget.

I'm led to believe he's from the Glasgow area as well 

17 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Simon Murray was excellent in the play-offs but he only scored five league goals this season and while he's a much better striker, Megginson only scored one more non-penalty goal than Calum Gallagher. Interestingly Megginson and McAllister scored 24 non-penalty league goals between them while Gallagher and Smith managed 27 for us. Obviously penalties count but our strikers don't get the chance to boost their numbers that way. Gallagher has his faults but he's a reliable League One goalscorer and unfortunately players like Murray and Megginson are just out of our budget. 

Who knows if we'll keep them but Fordyce, a physical centre back and McCabe in midfield would be an excellent base to build from. We saw in the play-offs what a difference someone like Charlie Fox made at the back for Queen's Park. 

Megginson and Murray are completely different strikers, these guy's are much more mobile, creative and simply more ability. Gal would be on my free transfer list as his overall play is not good enough, no pace, can't beat a man and has a terrible first touch. His goals say more about the service he received this season.

Like most, i agree we need more physicality but i've been bemoaning this for years.

10 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I'm sure there was talk that we were interested in McLean last summer. I like him, I'm not sure how good he actually is but he's always a handful for our defence and certainly brings something different to our current strikers. I feel like he's been around for a while now but he only turns 24 next month. I don't think we'd be able to bring in a player as good as Megginson but Gallagher, Smith, Salim, McLean and a quick backup like Jordan Allan would be strong for this level.

Couldn't disagree more, Gal, Salim, Allan & McLean are all out and out penalty box strikers, only Smith would provide that something different. If fit, Salim can provide an aerial threat and i believe he is under contract for next season.

It's fair to say Montrose and Peterhead fans wouldn't be too impressed with Mclean's heading prowess despite his height and apparently has a billy big time attitude.

Hearing your manager will be interviewed by the Kirkcaldy scum next week. It would appear Kevin Thomson wanting too many £s. Paying Goodie a grand a week must be stretching their budget. 

1 hour ago, fifer67 said:

Hearing your manager will be interviewed by the Kirkcaldy scum next week. It would appear Kevin Thomson wanting too many £s. Paying Goodie a grand a week must be stretching their budget. 

Heard there’s a few people in for it, Thomson wanting what he’s being offered from down south.  Murray in with a shout, he’s got a chance of getting it.  Hope he stays though 

13 hours ago, FLDiamond said:

Heard there’s a few people in for it, Thomson wanting what he’s being offered from down south.  Murray in with a shout, he’s got a chance of getting it.  Hope he stays though 

Thomson maybe  interested  in Pars  job 

17 hours ago, fifer67 said:

A grand? Bet they wish it is only a grand!!

On 20/05/2022 at 08:28, David Fernández said:

I'm fairly confident that Murray will stay but also confident that Petrie will stay on at Montrose.

I think McPake might be worth a shout at Dunfermline. 

With Easton, he's been brilliant for us, but he's the one player I can see moving on elsewhere.

Murray, Fordyce and McCabe sound like they want to stay based on their interviews, although McCabe I'm about 70/30 on if he will stay or not.

Adding physicality is a priority for the reason we can't keep having 10 men in the box defending corners as we didn't trust our defenders.

99% of teams have 10 men in the box defending corners! Nothing to do with not trusting the defenders it's the way the modern game is played! Do you not watch many other games? 

4 hours ago, Afc88 said:

99% of teams have 10 men in the box defending corners! Nothing to do with not trusting the defenders it's the way the modern game is played! Do you not watch many other games? 

I do watch plenty of games and have been to the majority of Airdrie games this season.

Looking at some of the other teams we have faced, they do have a man or a couple of men up the park so if the balls gets headed out, there is a chance for a counter attack.

I'm not the only poster on here that has mentioned the 10 men in the box at corners.

1 hour ago, David Fernández said:

I do watch plenty of games and have been to the majority of Airdrie games this season.

Looking at some of the other teams we have faced, they do have a man or a couple of men up the park so if the balls gets headed out, there is a chance for a counter attack.

I'm not the only poster on here that has mentioned the 10 men in the box at corners.

I never said you were the only one but as I said 99% of teams do it and that's including top teams all over Europe! It's the way the game is played. I watched a few interviews from top managers on why they do it and it makes perfect sense if done properly 

1 hour ago, David Fernández said:

Also more counter attacking goals come from teams who don't leave people up the park but break properly from edge of the box. 

After a wee rest the only thing I've heard is a new pitch will be there soon as the current one gets lifted. Wonder what they do with the old bits? All the chat about manager changing leaves me ready to start commenting but I need a close season to get over another failure.