The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

8 hours ago, Passionate said:

If we are lucky enough to make the play off final Second leg against Dunfermline it would indeed be the 3 rd strip,   if Queens Park beat Dunfermline we would then become top ranked side which would give us the second leg in Airdrie, with no logical reason why we couldn't wear our home strip..

at the moment all teams have a 25% chance of promotion, I think every team is there on merit and all games will be incredibly tight..

Is it not that if queens park beat dunfermline they would have 2nd leg of the final at home? 

6 minutes ago, Ballboy said:

Is it not that if queens park beat dunfermline they would have 2nd leg of the final at home? 

I think that used to be the case (e.g. in 2012 when we beat Ayr and then had the second leg at home against Dumbarton in the final, for all the good it did) but they changed the rule a few years ago to give whoever finished higher home advantage in the second leg, which seems fairer. In 2018, Brechin beat Raith in the semi-finals but the second leg of the final was played at Alloa as they’d finished higher in the league. 

In 2020 I think Falkirk (Rawlins family) and Dunfermline (German syndicate) received external investment, I guess more than other clubs in their respective divisions. It would be interesting to know the budgets of each Div 1 club but league position is not just down to budget (QP probably had more than us). Well done to IM and the players this season, whatever happens next

Play offs now on the travel schedule. First team back for both sides and it will be tough. We do look in a much better place than this time last season. 

Our bench could also be stronger than Montrose who have some injuries? Quite how Afolabi fits into all of this remains an enigma. 

Was good to wait behind today to praise the team for what has been a very entertaining season. If only our record breaking undefeated at the new stadium , could be matched by ending g the play off nightmares.. Hope springs eternal.

I wasn't too fussed about today's game but great to keep the unbeaten run going, especially with such a weakened side. It was a fairly even game, neither side created many chances and hard to argue with a draw. Good to get another game for Kerr and MacDonald as well as getting Agnew and the McGill's some minutes after missing some recent games. Agnew made a big difference when he came on, Peterhead controlled the midfield for the first hour but Agnew's experience and quality really showed compared to having Ritchie or Devenny in there. He could be an important player over the next couple of weeks so hopefully he's ready. 

I think right-back is our only position of concern at the moment. MacDonald has done well but should we beat Montrose, there's always the risk that we end up playing Dunfermline and end up with a choice of Walker or McGill there if Watson's still injured. 

I'm equally anxious and looking forward to Tuesday night. If it wasn't for our play-off record I'd be less concerned but it's hard to ignore that. If any team can break that run though it's this one.

1 hour ago, Mr November said:

I wasn't too fussed about today's game but great to keep the unbeaten run going, especially with such a weakened side. It was a fairly even game, neither side created many chances and hard to argue with a draw. Good to get another game for Kerr and MacDonald as well as getting Agnew and the McGill's some minutes after missing some recent games. Agnew made a big difference when he came on, Peterhead controlled the midfield for the first hour but Agnew's experience and quality really showed compared to having Ritchie or Devenny in there. He could be an important player over the next couple of weeks so hopefully he's ready. 

I think right-back is our only position of concern at the moment. MacDonald has done well but should we beat Montrose, there's always the risk that we end up playing Dunfermline and end up with a choice of Walker or McGill there if Watson's still injured. 

I'm equally anxious and looking forward to Tuesday night. If it wasn't for our play-off record I'd be less concerned but it's hard to ignore that. If any team can break that run though it's this one.

I'm half expecting Dunfermline to recall Kyle MacDonald prior to Montrose on Tuesday. 

2 hours ago, Mr November said:

I'm sure Josh Kerr played right back in a back 4 towards the start of last season for a spell and was pretty good. It clearly wouldn't be ideal but I'd probably rather have him there than Walker or McGill. He wouldn't give much attacking wise but Paterson gets forward well so it might provide a bit more balance.

On 29/04/2022 at 23:30, Dylan Easton Fanclub said:

If you listen to any pundit, no team has a chance against John Hughes’ all triumphing Dunfermline side. Or something like that. 

They've won a grand total of 7 league games this season don't you know! 

13 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Did anyone at the game get the inside scoop from Alan Gow about this Chinese investment? I was too starstruck to ask TBH. 

Likewise, I just managed to stutter out my compliment about how fucking handsome he was looking. Didn't even manage to ask about his skin care regime never mind a Chinese backed youth academy which in all honesty would have been the supplementary question.

I've never known an Airdrie team to win so many player/manager awards. Very well deserved, a joy to watch and for me the best player in the league. 

Agree with everything said here. Huge contribution to what is the best Airdrie team I've watched for a very long time. 👏 

Memory of the season (so far) is the turn that left Alloa defender on his arse before playing a perfect pass to Smithy to lob the keeper.

I've never known an Airdrie team to win so many player/manager awards. Very well deserved, a joy to watch and for me the best player in the league. 

That's the magic man won 2 player of the month awards,  Supporters  Playe r of the Year, Made PFA Team of the year and League 1 Player of the Year,  not a bad old season..

the Eurovision song contest is in a couple of weeks......Surely not. 😛😛

The guys an entertainer and without a shadow the most talented player I’ve seen in a Diamond. Shows how far we’ve come from signing 16 year olds just released from the big teams & Hamilton to getting guys like Easton, Frizzle, McCabe on board. Over the last few years (decade even) there had been such a disconnect between the fans and players but hopefully these guys are feeling the love after Saturdays awards and it’s enough for them to sign on for another season regardless of what happens over the next few weeks.

Congratulations Dylan! Incredibly well deserved. To win an award voted by his peers just goes to show what a talented, dangerous and essential player he is. A pleasure and a privilege to watch in the diamond every week. 

15 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

Great to see the prices reduced to £12 for 2nd leg on Saturday. Hopefully take a similar crowd to the Cove game and hopefully have a cracking atmosphere.

Aye its a great to see ! 

1 hour ago, David Fernández said:

Great to see the prices reduced to £12 for 2nd leg on Saturday. Hopefully take a similar crowd to the Cove game and hopefully have a cracking atmosphere.

Minus the pathetic little twats who decided to go and attack opposition fans trying to get on their buses.