The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

9 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

Overestimated the speed of centre halves in the league above? If anything I’ve acknowledged that they are slow. It’s not about the speed of other centre halves. It’s the speed of strikers in the championship that my point is based upon 👍🏼

Just have to agree to disagree on Gallagher. For me he’s miles off it. Constantly offside, slow as week in jail, terrible touch etc. He’s literally cleared goal scoring opportunities off of the line (multiple times). Fair doos if you think he’d hold up in the championship. He looked so out of place against Partick and Cove. 

Allan has potential and that’s what I like. He’s quick, holds the ball up well.  Goes for everything and knows how to be onside. 

Yes, overstimated the speed of the centre halves in the league above. You're saying you don't think Fordyce can cut it in that league and have cited his speed as one of the reasons for this. If centre halves in the leagues above are not all, or mostly, faster than him, then this argument doesn't work, because self evidently those centre halves CAN cut it in that league. They are playing in it every week. 

As for the bolded part; I don't want to particularly criticise Allan, but it was him who looked out of his depth when he started versus Thistle. Gallagher instantly linked things up better when he came on, with some clever touches and clever passes around the box. Granted they were down to 10 men at that stage, but Allan had struggled to make an impact outwith the red card moment. Allan also looked ineffective at home to Falkirk in the 3-2 game. That's Falkirk, who are boggin. The amount of times Gal has scored due to making clever front post runs, timing it to get in front of the near post defender, demonstrates quite clearly his game intelligence and superior awareness. 

Allan is quicker. Thus far, that seems to be about it. I don't think he has the goals in him that Gal does, nor does he contribute as much overall, and I think if he did he'd have played more. Gal has scored every type of goal this season. He brings so much more to the party than he gets credit for and his status as our leading scorer in the league is but part of his contribution to our excellent form.

No point carrying this on; we're clearly seeing entirely different things on the pitch, which is fine. I'm just glad Murray doesn't seem to see it the way you do.  

54 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

Just don’t see the point in binning a player who was supposed to be our main striker this season but has unfortunately been injured. Might as well have a look which is exactly what will happen if we go up 👍🏼

If it turns out he’s pish then at least we got to have a look 👍🏼

Who said he was gonna be our main striker,We were chasing smith afore we signed Sal or Allan or Gabby? You're just making things up to suit your shite opinions,where is your coaching badges?Next your straitjacket ya looney 🤣

2 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I've been absolutely sh*tting myself thinking about that for the last few weeks.

Obviously the leagues not over mathematically, but It would take an almighty f*ck up from Cove for them not to win it, and IF we don't go up through the playoffs, the pessimist in me thinks this team will be absolutely decimated.  I think for another season of seeing this team operate together, promotion is a must.

And of course League 1 next season looks as if it will be extremely tough. Now is the time.

4 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Yes, overstimated the speed of the centre halves in the league above. You're saying you don't think Fordyce can cut it in that league and have cited his speed as one of the reasons for this. If centre halves in the leagues above are not all, or mostly, faster than him, then this argument doesn't work, because self evidently those centre halves CAN cut it in that league. They are playing in it every week. 

As for the bolded part; I don't want to particularly criticise Allan, but it was him who looked out of his depth when he started versus Thistle. Gallagher instantly linked things up better when he came on, with some clever touches and clever passes around the box. Granted they were down to 10 men at that stage, but Allan had struggled to make an impact outwith the red card moment. Allan also looked ineffective at home to Falkirk in the 3-2 game. That's Falkirk, who are boggin. The amount of times Gal has scored due to making clever front post runs, timing it to get in front of the near post defender, demonstrates quite clearly his game intelligence and superior awareness. 

Allan is quicker. Thus far, that seems to be about it. I don't think he has the goals in him that Gal does, nor does he contribute as much overall, and I think if he did he'd have played more. Gal has scored every type of goal this season. He brings so much more to the party than he gets credit for and his status as our leading scorer in the league is but part of his contribution to our excellent form.

No point carrying this on; we're clearly seeing entirely different things on the pitch, which is fine. I'm just glad Murray doesn't seem to see it the way you do.  

Jordan Allan is sharp over 4 or 5 yards and is penalty box striker and possibly our best finisher but if your not going to play 2 strikers then there is no place for him.

3 minutes ago, Spanish Armada said:

Who said he was gonna be our main striker,We were chasing smith afore we signed Sal or Allan or Gabby? You're just making things up to suit your shite opinions,where is your coaching badges?Next your straitjacket ya looney 🤣

Don’t know about you but a two year full time deal seems a pretty good indication to me. 

I’ve found your coaching badge anyways:  

F362D347-10B9-4758-82B7-F8559D683F93.jpeg

If Jordan Allan hadn’t came through our youth system I don’t think many people would be bothered about him. I quite like him, he seems like a good guy and his pace and work-rate can be useful getting in behind stuffy defences, but there’s a reason he doesn’t start regularly. I’d have him ahead of Afolabi but Murray’s shown over the last few years that while there’s been some odd team selections, his judgement of which players should play regularly is generally spot on. 

We mostly seem to be in agreement on here that we quite like Allan but we just have better players at the club. At the game on Saturday several people around me were talking him up and moaning about Gallagher but @AndyDDis spot on about the difference in quality between them that was shown in the games against Falkirk, Thistle and even Cove away. If he’d came through at Dunfermline and this was his first spell at the club no one would be too bothered about him not playing or leaving.

2 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Jordan Allan is sharp over 4 or 5 yards and is penalty box striker and possibly our best finisher but if your not going to play 2 strikers then there is no place for him.

As I said, I like Allan and think he has a place in the squad certainly in this league. He has contributed to the great season we've had and is a decent option. He is indeed sharp over 4/5 yards and he has proven handy in the penalty box, totally agree. Is he the best finisher? No idea to be honest. Very hard to say, but it's entirely possible. 

Ultimately, though, I wouldn't be playing him ahead of any of our front three all things being equal. Not slagging the guy off in any way, I like him and glad he has been with us this season. It's a squad game. 

Don’t know about you but a two year full time deal seems a pretty good indication to me. 

I’ve found your coaching badge anyways:  

F362D347-10B9-4758-82B7-F8559D683F93.jpeg.3607370e0d1ed9037f89caeae8f45186.jpeg

I don’t recall jordan signing a 2 year deal?

I’m quite interested to see how Salim gets on next season. He has a great record in the league below but hasn’t ever got going above that. He looked a handy enough player in the cup games, I don’t think him and Gallagher worked as a partnership but that might just have been the 3-5-2 system as much as anything. He seems like someone who thrives on balls into the box, he’s not the tallest but has a great leap and is very strong for his size, which gives us a different option but not necessarily a natural fit for our current system.

If nothing else, I’ll remember the chaos of his winner against Dumbarton for a long time, so he’s still played his part this season. 

I’m hopeful Salim will be like a new signing next season. I was quite excited when we signed him and had high hopes so the injury has been a big disappointment.

Worth mentioning as well that I think Gabby McGill could be a massive player for us if he stays fit for an entire season. Early in the season he was our most prolific goalscorer then he got injured. Came back and scored 2 in the abandoned game against Clyde and got injured again. Returned from that injury to come off the bench and score a massive equaliser against Clyde and now I’d say he’s become undroppable, and obviously scored a massive goal against Cove. Only Easton, Gallagher and Smith have scored more and they’ve played almost every game (and McGill has actually outscored Easton if you count the two against Clyde that ended up being for nothing).

Interesting discussions,  all depending on where we end up at season end.   If we are still League 1 as in previous posts, I would be more than happy to resign the majority of the existing squad, bar Walker,Allan,  Ritchie, Pyott etc....

If we managed to get promoted to Championship it could get interesting,  with a more thorough rebuild required to compete..  Let's look at the facts our level as in top 4 is probably on a par with QOS who will be getting relegated,    This is the same QOS team that wasn't fussed about keeping McCabe last summer and 2 seasons prior Fordyce couldn't get a game for them..   Onto this season and MCKay and Roy have struggled in the championship with QOS also....

We have a really talented squad for League 1,   can the likes of Frizzell and Easton step up, both in my opinion lack a bit of pace especially Frizzell (Think back to the Thistle cup tie with the difference of physicality in the team when they played us, ) I also think teams will take that into consideration when showing interest in our players...

15 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I’m hopeful Salim will be like a new signing next season. I was quite excited when we signed him and had high hopes so the injury has been a big disappointment.

Worth mentioning as well that I think Gabby McGill could be a massive player for us if he stays fit for an entire season. Early in the season he was our most prolific goalscorer then he got injured. Came back and scored 2 in the abandoned game against Clyde and got injured again. Returned from that injury to come off the bench and score a massive equaliser against Clyde and now I’d say he’s become undroppable, and obviously scored a massive goal against Cove. Only Easton, Gallagher and Smith have scored more and they’ve played almost every game (and McGill has actually outscored Easton if you count the two against Clyde that ended up being for nothing).

Yeah Gabby is the one player I was stuck between keep and unsure. He’s been unlucky with injuries but when he has played he’s done really well. I’d quite like to see him get a run through the middle at some point, as at times he’s shown he’s a decent finisher, but he’s oddly effective on the wing for us. It shouldn’t really work, he has absolutely no characteristics of a classic wide player, but he seems to cause teams chaos and is a great option for a long diagonal too. I really like him and this seems to be the first time in his career he’s really settled at a club and played well. He was seemingly a bit out of his depth in the Championship with Dunfermline, so who knows how we would do if we make it there, but I’d be willing to give it a go and he’s certainly shown that he can be a very effective player at this level. 

Hope there’s nothing to this youth academy talk. We are having the best season in years on the pitch without a youth set up or director or football and I’d imagine the common denominator is we are able to put all available money into the first team squad.

Why change that? 

Surely we can set up partnership with local youth team to create some sort of pathway.

Edited by Diamond10