The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

And so it's back to just 5 points!

We have a tough game next week against a Falkirk side who are starting to perhaps turn the corner and look threatening in attack. Gap might close next week too.

This will go the full distance I suspect 

Edited by CoveRangers1922

6 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Thought big Fordyce had an excellent game today, first to every header, never shirked a challenge and 99% of the time his positioning was spot on.

First 2 goals were excellent individual finishes, the 3rd is some rum by Smith who I thought gave both centre halves something to think about today and an absolute nailer for the 4th. 

Happy to win as convincingly even if the performance was "alright" in the nicest possible way.

Made an arse of this and mixed up the 3rd and 4th

Hes had a lot of flak the past few months but fair play to Gal today , first goal was outstanding and I've not a clue how the second one went in but don't care, glad he got got his goals.

Patterson was excellent for us I thought and I know I've banged on about it before but I don't think Agnew gets the credit he deserves. 

Need to keep this momentum going as March is going to be a hell of a month for us ! 

Just now, Rossm25 said:

Hes had a lot of flak the past few months but fair play to Gal today , first goal was outstanding and I've not a clue how the second one went in but don't care, glad he got got his goals.

Patterson was excellent for us I thought and I know I've banged on about it before but I don't think Agnew gets the credit he deserves. 

Need to keep this momentum going as March is going to be a hell of a month for us ! 

I want to see Gals second again, I'm sure he was side on to goal, let it run through his legs and flicked it in off the bar, absolutely clinical.

1 hour ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

And so it's back to just 5 points!

We have a tough game next week against a Falkirk side who are starting to perhaps turn the corner and look threatening in attack. Gap might close next week too.

This will go the full distance I suspect 

Can I both agree and hope you're correct. Getting a win over Montrose is a psychological boost at this stage . I had been debating the Peterhead trip but it just has to be done now. Hope they are tired out after Cup tie. 

11 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Can I both agree and hope you're correct. Getting a win over Montrose is a psychological boost at this stage . I had been debating the Peterhead trip but it just has to be done now. Hope they are tired out after Cup tie. 

Anyone scored 3 against Mo this season let alone 4? Big win.

Peterhead is a slog of a journey from Airdrie right enough. Always find it tough there. Grass pitch and normally blow a gale. Will be impressive if the Diamonds pick up 3 points on the road.

Thought both sides struggled to keep possession in a patchy first half, the two well taken goals brought things to life at last. The needless penalty gave Montrose hope, but they couldn't take the 3 or 4 decent  chances they created. Airdrie grew in confidence and deserved the win, just keep the ball better and try getting more numbers forward. Enjoyable day/week comes to an end.

4 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Peterhead is a slog of a journey from Airdrie right enough. Always find it tough there. Grass pitch and normally blow a gale. Will be impressive if the Diamonds pick up 3 points on the road.

We have an oddly good record up there, our last six games at Balmoor are P6 W4 D1 L1 and the one defeat was when Kyle Turner was sent off after four minutes on his debut for flying into Ryan Conroy (which I can't blame him for). It won't be easy but if we can take six points against Peterhead and Clyde this month then we'd be on 23/27 for this quarter, which would be incredible form. 

As you say, the final round of fixtures should be very interesting. Although our recent draws with Clyde and Queen's Park were disappointing, we've showed we can bounce back with a strong performance against Cove and then a comfortable win over Montrose, albeit in scoreline rather than performance. We've consistently scored plenty of goals this season, we've scored three in six of our home games this season, but that's usually based around creating lots of chances and dominating possession. Today's game was one of the few times this season where we've struggled to fully control the midfield yet been clinical when we do get chances. 

I'm sure they'll be back winning soon but three draws in a row for Cove, two of which were games when you were winning and today against 10 men, although we know all too well that isn't an easy task, and I think the wins before that were 1-0's too. Is there any signs of Cove slowing down slightly or is it just a case of continuing to grind out results while not being quite at their best? 

59 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I want to see Gals second again, I'm sure he was side on to goal, let it run through his legs and flicked it in off the bar, absolutely clinical.

The pleasing thing to see was Frizz was first to react if it never crossed the line when it came off the bar....   Gallagher gets quite rightly written off, but year on year he pops up with crucial goals...

4 minutes ago, Mr November said:

We have an oddly good record up there, our last six games at Balmoor are P6 W4 D1 L1 and the one defeat was when Kyle Turner was sent off after four minutes on his debut for flying into Ryan Conroy (which I can't blame him for). It won't be easy but if we can take six points against Peterhead and Clyde this month then we'd be on 23/27 for this quarter, which would be incredible form. 

As you say, the final round of fixtures should be very interesting. Although our recent draws with Clyde and Queen's Park were disappointing, we've showed we can bounce back with a strong performance against Cove and then a comfortable win over Montrose, albeit in scoreline rather than performance. We've consistently scored plenty of goals this season, we've scored three in six of our home games this season, but that's usually based around creating lots of chances and dominating possession. Today's game was one of the few times this season where we've struggled to fully control the midfield yet been clinical when we do get chances. 

I'm sure they'll be back winning soon but three draws in a row for Cove, two of which were games when you were winning and today against 10 men, although we know all too well that isn't an easy task, and I think the wins before that were 1-0's too. Is there any signs of Cove slowing down slightly or is it just a case of continuing to grind out results while not being quite at their best? 

That is an impressive record. Our record at Balmoor isn't as good I'd imagine or if it is it's games we really struggle to get over the line. 

Two of the three 1-0's before our recent three draws were without Mitch and were lucky to take maximum points from them. Had the majority of shots on target but could have easily been draws. The other was Mo at home and we edged the first half and held on with 3 going off injured (Shay, Mitch, Vigurs). Mo didn't create anything clear that day. It was just deserved but not convincing.

Was difficult dropping 2 points at the Rock through a late pen, last week was even and today we didn't have the killer instinct.

I'd say defensively we look sound which will count for a lot in the final 11 games but lately not ruthlessly enough up top which will surprise many when we have Mitch and Rory.

15 undefeated now in the league but we'll need to turn draws to wins to keep at the helm

1 hour ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

I think it is their heaviest defeat. The city by pass makes it so much easier. Hope for good weather. We have a good recent record there.

2 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

It's the way I see it panning out. Airdrie in a fine vein of form and have recruited well in general. 

Should be some last round of fixtures and season end. 

Not sure how the fixture list threw this out but from 19th March Cove have 4 consecutive away games - against Montrose, Airdrie, Queens Park and Falkirk.  A ridiculous run of games where they could drop significant points.

If we can get within touching distance going into those fixtures things could get very interesting.

Today really shows the importance of having a competent bench. Obviously it's better to have better replacements - like Watson being able to come on and contribute. But also to push the players who weren't being challenged for their position. Watson has done well this season but was definitely in need of a spell out the team when we signed MacDonald. Similarly Gallagher, I know Allan has played a bit recently but that was largely down to Gallagher not being fully fit, I doubt he'd have been too concerned about losing his place long term to Allan. But the new loanee striker comes in this week and then Gallagher gets MOTM. In midfield we have McCabe, Agnew, Frizzell, Easton and McGill all fighting for 4 places. I'm sure we'll need everyone for the run-in but it's great to have competition for places and options for the manager.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

24 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Not sure how the fixture list threw this out but from 19th March Cove have 4 consecutive away games - against Montrose, Airdrie, Queens Park and Falkirk. 

Cove's game today was switched from Firhill as Partick were drawn at home in the cup.

25 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Not sure how the fixture list threw this out but from 19th March Cove have 4 consecutive away games - against Montrose, Airdrie, Queens Park and Falkirk.  A ridiculous run of games where they could drop significant points.

If we can get within touching distance going into those fixtures things could get very interesting.

Coves game against Queen’s Park today was meant to be at firhill today but got changed round as partick was at home in the cup today which is fell even better for us IMO 

14 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

We were meant to be away to QP today and at home in April but it was agreed to be switched due to Partick's fixtures.

That is some run of games as you rightly say. We need to pick up points in our next 4 which are Falkirk (h), Alloa (a), Peterhead (h), Clyde (h)