The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

44 minutes ago, Rossm25 said:

Will judge them once I've seen them play, good to get in some reinforcements in though , hopefully gives us that wee but extra to at least try and push cove. 

I agree and we have been asking for some more competitive challenge up front, whether he wears 2 or not. Last season's no 2 was a real boost. 

That's the squad complete, No more loans ,  the quality and contribution of all p!Ayers will be discussed i n detail on here in the summer,   what we can say  The board of directors have provided us with  funding for a pretty much full time squad and given the team every chance to get out this league,   Credit has to be given for that......

on paper 2 decent sign ings positional wise we lacked a left mid really all season and we needed another option up front.......  

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

Afolabi was shite but who knows how he’ll do in the seaside leagues. Isn’t quick, doesn’t really shoot well, doesn’t hold the ball up either. Not sure why we signed him tbh.

Dunfermline fans think McInroy is shite as well. Funny old game!

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

That's the squad complete, No more loans ,  the quality and contribution of all p!Ayers will be discussed i n detail on here in the summer,   what we can say  The board of directors have provided us with  funding for a pretty much full time squad and given the team every chance to get out this league,   Credit has to be given for that......

on paper 2 decent sign ings positional wise we lacked a left mid really all season and we needed another option up front.......  

The midfield signing didn’t inspire me with confidence although as others have pointed out, Murray has a good track record with loan signings and so there could be a player there that will do us a job. And I know we need cover in that area.  But at 18 he is obviously very inexperienced and I’d rather have had someone twice his age with a decent track record who we know could do us a job until the end of the season. But good luck to the boy, hoping he makes an impact. 

As for the striker, he has obviously struggled at the start of his career but had Celtic making a commitment 3 years ago. His exploits in the Championship haven’t delivered results but I do like the obvious motivation… he has seen McInroy be a success at the club.  His contract with Celtic ends in a few months.  He wants to put himself in the shop window.  And as stated earlier, there is most definitely a quality difference between L1 and the Championship.  Maybe he can be the surprise package needed to close the Cove gap. I do like big physical forwards who can get on top of defenders.  Stamp some authority up front. He is also a younger player so we’ll see how he copes.  He can be an instant hero by grabbing the winner against Montrose tomorrow 

On paper these are two disappointing signings, however, looking beyond that the squad is now fleshed out and we can finally fill the bloody bench and as mentioned above Kerr McInroy was an underwhelming signing, a youth player rapidly approaching the point of no longer being a youth, just off a, by all accounts, very poor loan spell and for the 6 weeks before Xmas he was easily the best player in the league and one of the very best outside the Premier League. So I'll happily give them a go. If they are crap so be it, if they kick on, then great.

Although a striker wearing number 2 is moronic....

43 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

On paper these are two disappointing signings, however, looking beyond that the squad is now fleshed out and we can finally fill the bloody bench and as mentioned above Kerr McInroy was an underwhelming signing, a youth player rapidly approaching the point of no longer being a youth, just off a, by all accounts, very poor loan spell and for the 6 weeks before Xmas he was easily the best player in the league and one of the very best outside the Premier League. So I'll happily give them a go. If they are crap so be it, if they kick on, then great.

Don't know how we'll line up today but we'll potentially have a bench with Gal/Allan, Gabby, Scott McGill Afolabi and Devenny. Immediately that puts us in a stronger position than, for example the recent games at Firhill where we brought on Gal and a not fully fit centre-half in the cup, and in the league game where we had nobody on the bench apart from Ritchie and McDonald. 

48 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

But early to say if the si gnings are disappointing or not, we have struggled most of the season up front for various reasons.  Afolabi has Championship experience, looking at the goals for and against in that league it is very defensive,   Our league is far more open, perfect example was Andy Ryan poor before he signed in a higher league, then he scored plenty in L1.....

Devenney who I dont expect to be a starter, could be an important addition if injuries and suspensions mount up and we have 3or 4 a booking away from a ban....

Out of interest in your probably tongue in cheek comment what  number should Afolabi get....

19 hours ago, Mr November said:

Justin Devenny, a midfielder on loan from Kilmarnock. Fair play, I have absolutely no idea who he is but a backup option there isn’t the worst thing. He won’t offer any less than Caves or Ritchie anyway but not quite the game changing signing I was hoping for.

From Craig Clark, Killie's U18's coach/manager.... 

Screenshot_20220212-130106_Twitter.jpg.040df5dd2ed3048d14f9ce03c4efb870.jpg

13 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Don't know how we'll line up today but we'll potentially have a bench with Gal/Allan, Gabby, Scott McGill Afolabi and Devenny. Immediately that puts us in a stronger position than, for example the recent games at Firhill where we brought on Gal and a not fully fit centre-half in the cup, and in the league game where we had nobody on the bench apart from Ritchie and McDonald. 

Impact off of the bench will be key in those games where we are having to grind out results, it's a option we have been missing for too long.

24 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Out of interest in your probably tongue in cheek comment what  number should Afolabi get....

If we apply football manager 22 logic probably 47 or something like that 😂

Edited by cb_diamond

Thought Afolabi looked sharp when he got on. Hopefully finds his shooting boots but clearly got loads of pace there which could be a nuisance in the run in and with the chances we create he'll surely get goals. 

Presumably Celtic are paying for the use of the stadium for ladies games in loan players. If he's as good as McInroy then happy days.

5 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Comfortable win against a team we’ve struggled against in the last few seasons and Cove dropping points at home against a team with ten men. Happy days.

4-1 flattered us although we defended well and what a difference Brody Paterson makes.

2 quick goals, the 3rd a nice break of the ball back to Frizzell and then a wonder strike for the 4th. 

Dylan probably had his worst game in an Airdrie shirt so a bonus to win when he has a rare off day.

Thought big Fordyce had an excellent game today, first to every header, never shirked a challenge and 99% of the time his positioning was spot on.

First 2 goals were excellent individual finishes, the 3rd is some rum by Smith who I thought gave both centre halves something to think about today and an absolute nailer for the 4th. 

Happy to win as convincingly even if the performance was "alright" in the nicest possible way.

1 minute ago, Kenny_m said:

4-1 flattered us although we defended well and what a difference Brody Paterson makes.

2 quick goals, the 3rd a nice break of the ball back to Frizzell and then a wonder strike for the 4th. 

Dylan probably had his worst game in an Airdrie shirt so a bonus to win when he has a rare off day.

A great 3 point's, Stats maybe favoured Montrose but  great to have the Stat that mattered, things  are a changing and for the better,