The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

SPFL twitter account posting about hat-tricks today as part of their throwback thursday and it’s got me thinking: who was the last player to actually score a hat-trick for us? The most recent I can think of was Leighton McIntosh and that’s going back quite a bit. And I’m not counting Crighton’s “hat-trick” against Albion Rovers of a brace and an own goal.

46 minutes ago, el Gringo said:

I remember Jerome Vareille getting one in 14 minutes against Stenhousemuir (I think). Pre-DTV days, so no footage of it unfortunately!

Vareille’s was a good one, I think we won 4-0 too so all goals were from him. 

Looking back, Andy Ryan and Iain Russell both managed one each in 2016/17. I think John Boyle got one against Dumbarton on the opening game of the 2012/13 season and I’m sure Ryan Donnelly must have got at least one during that spell where he scored about 20 goals in half a season.

2 hours ago, David W said:

Only David Goodwillie (3) and Declan McManus (2) have scored League 1 hat tricks since McIntosh.

Mitch got one in August against EF in our 5-2 win and Rory got one in our 3-1 win at Alloa in October. Can't think of any others

Edited by CoveRangers1922

54 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Mitch got one in August against EF in our 5-2 win and Rory got one in our 3-1 win at Alloa in October. Can't think of any others

Fair enough, obviously the site I found hadn't been updated recently!

2 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I don't even want to think about the possibility of that. It wouldn't be would it? The people behind the scenes at the club can't be that stupid surely?

The next team to sign Goodwillie DESERVE the chaos.  They’ve seen what’s happened at Raith.  But we do need a striker! 

1 minute ago, FLDiamond said:

The next team to sign Goodwillie DESERVE the chaos.  They’ve seen what’s happened at Raith.  But we do need a striker! 

I honestly don't know how any club could be stupid enough to sign him right after what happened at Raith. I'd have been opposed to signing him for obvious reasons anyway, but it'd be so much stupider now.

Justin Devenny, a midfielder on loan from Kilmarnock. Fair play, I have absolutely no idea who he is but a backup option there isn’t the worst thing. He won’t offer any less than Caves or Ritchie anyway but not quite the game changing signing I was hoping for.