The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Not been impressed with both Gal and Smith of late, in an ideal world I would bench both but obviously due to injuries etc this isn’t possible, hoping Gabby McGill is back soon. Jordan Allan HAS to start next week, he is a total annoyance to defenders and that’s exactly what’s needed against a team like cove. Really hope we don’t do what we done last time up there, setting out for a draw and barely attacking them because imo if we do that, we will get absolutely scudded. Onwards and upwards and hopefully 3 points next week

10 minutes ago, WeAllDreamOfATeamOfAndyRyans said:

Not been impressed with both Gal and Smith of late, in an ideal world I would bench both but obviously due to injuries etc this isn’t possible, hoping Gabby McGill is back soon. Jordan Allan HAS to start next week, he is a total annoyance to defenders and that’s exactly what’s needed against a team like cove. Really hope we don’t do what we done last time up there, setting out for a draw and barely attacking them because imo if we do that, we will get absolutely scudded. Onwards and upwards and hopefully 3 points next 

Injuries and not bringing in a striker looks like its going to cost us, as long as players know they will be on the team sheet  doesn't do us any favours, 

I posted on the match thread too but that was a disappointing game overall today. Given the performance I’m happy enough with a point but it’s a bit of a frustrating result when we know we can play much better. I suppose every team has their off days so taking a point when we don’t play well isn’t the worst outcome. 

I think Murray has some big decisions to make for the starting eleven next week. Currie will obviously start but other than McCabe, Kerr, Easton and Frizzell, I’d say there shouldn’t be any other nailed on starters at the moment from the team that played today. 

I thought Kyle MacDonald struggled a bit defensively today but we know he’s a decent player at this level, especially in his natural position at right-back. Watson has held that position for months but his form has definitely dipped since that spell where he got a few assists and other than his height for set-pieces, which we are poor at anyway, I’d struggle to argue against MacDonald replacing him. That would mean Paterson coming in at left-back, who did ok today when he came on but never made much of an impact. If Fordyce is fit I’d have him back in as I felt we missed him today, if not Kerr and McCabe are good enough. 

Easton and Frizzell are nailed on starters in midfield, though I thought Frizzell had his poorest game so far today. If McCabe’s at the back then we need Agnew as a holding midfielder. Scott McGill probably takes the other place, though I feel he’s struggled in the last few games he’s still our best option there and took his goal well today.

Up front is a tricky one. Gallagher was anonymous today and by all accounts very poor against Clyde too. It’s hard to argue against Allan starting ahead of him given their recent form. Smith wasn’t great today but due to a lack of other options, him and Allan are probably our best bet at the moment.

The worst I have seen us play for months. I am assuming Dycey was unfit for this game which was a big miss, so Rhys McCabe back in defence with Scott Agnew in the hole which didn't work.   Easton and Frizzell not at their best but you cant expect  brilliant displays every game.

Positives - lost no more ground on Cove and we can't play any worse (hopefully)

Next weeks game is the big one. If we are going to win the league we have to beat Cove - similar to the Thistle game last year when they came to us and beat us.  and then pushed on from that.

So hopefully with Dycey back, Rhys McCabe in midfield and Jordan Allan to start, we might have a chance.

Edited by Roger Thornhill

Think the boys deserve real credit today for coming away with a draw. They worked really hard, but it is obvious that the Clyde game had an impact on energy levels. No more so than on guys like Frizell who never stop running for ninety minutes. QP are a decent side, who like ourselves miss that cutting edge up front. They have some excellent players and our guys should not be too despondent about the result.

As for us, I stiil cannot fathom why we started without Paterson at left back and MacDonald on the right as the team needed a wee 'freshen up'. Guys like Watson  should be more than aware that they cannot play every time, and a seat on the bench for a couple of games is good for the team. Next week will be make or break in my opinion. If we lose I cannot see us catching this Cove side who, even when playing badly, still rack up the points. This is the advantage of having 20 goals a season forwards in the pack and usefull replacements on the bench. Looking forward, we have to be looking for players like this if we are ever going to progress from this league. Whilst it is true we have been unlucky with injuries to Salim and Gabby, neither of them have shown so far that they can compare with the Andy Ryan's of this world, maybe they will prove me wrong.

9 hours ago, WeAllDreamOfATeamOfAndyRyans said:

Really hope we don’t do what we done last time up there, setting out for a draw and barely attacking them because imo if we do that, we will get absolutely scudded. Onwards and upwards and hopefully 3 points next week

Next week is the biggest game of the season without a doubt. Stating the obvious but, win and it's game on, draw or lose and it's playoffs IMO. Obv there's still loads of points to play for but the result of Saturday will shape the last stretch of games I've no doubt.

8 hours ago, Mr November said:

Smith wasn’t great today but due to a lack of other options, him and Allan are probably our best bet at the moment.

Allan looks the most likely to be able to finish something based on recent form. Smith's missed a few great chances recently but even when he's fluffing them he's putting in a shift which is why I'd much rather have him with Allan and gal on the bench, at the moment. Last time Gal was benched he came back with a few goals on his return.

6 hours ago, dextermorgan said:

neither of them have shown so far that they can compare with the Andy Ryan's of this world, maybe they will prove me wrong.

I said up at Clyde the other night, imagine big Allan Russell getting half the service this team is conjuring up, one of the most natural finishers I've seen in a diamond.

Here's a team for Cove next week a slight tweek to the 4-4-2 and more of a 4-1-4-1  with Easton almost having a free role and our best 11 players.

Gallagher has been terrible since he came back from a short injury spell and can't be included and whilst Paterson is a bit unknown, he is a LB.

McDonald to get on top of Harry Milne who despite being left back is always pushing forward.       

Currie

Watson Fordyce Kerr Paterson

McCabe

McDonald Easton Frizzell McGill

Smith

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

Here's a team for Cove next week a slight tweek to the 4-4-2 and more of a 4-1-4-1  with Easton almost having a free role and our best 11 players.

Gallagher has been terrible since he came back from a short injury spell and can't be included and whilst Paterson is a bit unknown, he is a LB.

McDonald to get on top of Harry Milne who despite being left back is always pushing forward.       

Currie

McCabe

Smith

I’ve noticed over the last few posts when discussing players performance and the expected team for next weekend - nobody has entertained the idea of McInroy coming back or us making another signing this week which will surely happen…. I think.  I’m not sure what’s going on with McInroy but he must want to get back to first team football to keep the spotlight on himself.  He made the back pages more than a few times while sporting the Diamond, he must want that back.  I know it looks unlikely now so if he doesn’t rejoin then Murray should be bringing in an on loan forward to help get us extra fire power up front.  Even though it’s only early February, everyone knows that this game is make or break - a six pointer for sure.  I see some changes to the line up and Gal being replaced by a new face up front.  Who?? I’ve no idea.. we have to make an addition now or we could be making plans for the playoffs come this time next week  

27 minutes ago, FLDiamond said:

I’ve noticed over the last few posts when discussing players performance and the expected team for next weekend - nobody has entertained the idea of McInroy coming back or us making another signing this week which will surely happen…. I think.  I’m not sure what’s going on with McInroy but he must want to get back to first team football to keep the spotlight on himself.  He made the back pages more than a few times while sporting the Diamond, he must want that back.  I know it looks unlikely now so if he doesn’t rejoin then Murray should be bringing in an on loan forward to help get us extra fire power up front.  Even though it’s only early February, everyone knows that this game is make or break - a six pointer for sure.  I see some changes to the line up and Gal being replaced by a new face up front.  Who?? I’ve no idea.. we have to make an addition now or we could be making plans for the playoffs come this time next week  

A wee rest for Smith aswell, no improvement from last time here, just no end product, 

2 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

A wee rest for Smith aswell, no improvement from last time here, just no end product, 

Got to play at least 1 forward and i still only see Jordan Allan as a handy sub. Yes Smith's finishing was and still is not great but his pace still gives defenders problems.

We can't go the "Levein" 6-4-0

Need to go with two forwards if we want to take 3 points .Midfield is our best area for players but end product from strikers has been poor as is our chances to goals ratio .Just hope we dont play too deep eg Agnew yesterday,Dont go with a mind set not to loose and be brave and play players in their correct positions simples

The  lineup at Cove for me is about how to stop the great service that their forwards get, particularly from their outstanding wingbacks like Milne. That is why I would have MacDonald and Paterson in their natural positions, with the instruction to make their fullbacks defend as much as possible.

Got to play at least 1 forward and i still only see Jordan Allan as a handy sub. Yes Smith's finishing was and still is not great but his pace still gives defenders problems.

We can't go the "Levein" 6-4-0

It's the keeper that needs to have some problems, there is no doubt we can give defences problems it's when we get inside the box that proves to be our problem every week, but if manager happy that's the main thing, 

7 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Currie

McCabe

Smith

Upfront Smith for us v best double act in the league, let me think, there is a big problem, 

8 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Upfront Smith for us v best double act in the league, let me think, there is a big problem, 

Yip, so we need to stop the supply to them unless we sign a quality striker before Saturday. Unlucky that Salim and Gabby are out of course.

Yip, so we need to stop the supply to them unless we sign a quality striker before Saturday. Unlucky that Salim and Gabby are out of course.

We have certainly had our share of  injuries, If the boys that are selected give their all we can ask no more, 

Stuart Taylor’s said it’s unlikely that Hamilton will bring any more players in, so McInroy probably won’t be going there. It’s now getting to a point where if other clubs were in for him I don’t see why they wouldn’t have signed him yet. At one point the saga dragging on meant to me we wouldn't get him back, but at this stage it seems to me it’s dragging on because he doesn’t have other options worth taking.

Regardless, we need two or three more bodies in so this could be a desperate night. We’re still allowed to get players in on loan until the end of next month but it would be better to get business done sooner rather than later.

30 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

If rumours are to be believed, the boy Moffat from Celtic could be confirmed today.

Obviously a little bit of an unknown but we undoubtedly need a forward. 

The McInroy saga will surely end today or tomorrow!