The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

That was horrible to watch. Clyde are unbelievably hopeless and so are we at holding on to leads.

I think tonight proves how poor Gallagher is. He was nowhere tonight. I appreciate the goals he’s given us but we need a replacement.

I would have had Allan on from the start. Offers so much more  

Just now, Uniform11 said:

Bit bold of the manager to stay 4 up front when 2-1 up and 3 mins to play? Ach well. These things happen.

You'd think he would learn from when he did that against 8 man Dumbarton in the 3-2 game, only for Paul Paton to end up unmarked in our six-yard box. 

Hugely disappointing result, especially when it sounds like we dominated. I said on the match thread but quite a few times recently we've played well and dominated possession but haven't created enough clear cut chances and have also gave the opposition some chances through a lack of concentration and poor defending. I'm not sure how much that was the case tonight but hopefully dropping points like this will stop it from happening again. We really need a win on Saturday against a team we've struggled to break down so far this season.

You're never going to go a whole half season without dropping points but that's undoubtedly 2 chucked away tonight. Especially frustrating as we've been excellent at holding on to leads and seeing out games this season. So a bit more of the vintage Murrayball in that regard tonight. If you're going to win the league this sort of game has to be a banker but think tonight's result has put the league beyond us. Really needed to cut that gap down to 5. Disappointing to concede another couple of goals from a cross and set piece. Next two games are must wins. 

1 minute ago, Mr November said:

You'd think he would learn from when he did that against 8 man Dumbarton in the 3-2 game, only for Paul Paton to end up unmarked in our six-yard box. 

Hugely disappointing result, especially when it sounds like we dominated. I said on the match thread but quite a few times recently we've played well and dominated possession but haven't created enough clear cut chances and have also gave the opposition some chances through a lack of concentration and poor defending. I'm not sure how much that was the case tonight but hopefully dropping points like this will stop it from happening again. We really need a win on Saturday against a team we've struggled to break down so far this season.

Played extremely well for most part keeper poor at first goal to let them back in. Disappointing as we gad enough chances to win several games still can't gubsmacked how we dropped two points. 

Still only way is up ♦️ 

What was an exciting spell in the 2nd half was wiped out by dreadful loss of the ball and a missing defence to let that Jones score . That was bad enough but to get the lead and then fail to defend a corner was worse. God knows what Currie was doing but it was a sickener tonight. I fear we can only end in the play offs but you never know. Will still go to QP but !!!  I will now have to do my prediction.

What a crazy game of football,    I thought Kyle MacDonald had a great game at left back and also Paterson looked good when he came on, very athletic,  These 2 lads must start,  I think Murray will go back to the dreaded 3 5 2 formation he has tried it before and it hasn't worked.  Cannot see how it will work out of we don't they are both natural wingbacks...

Was looking forward to seeing McCabe in Midfield, he played well enough but his passing was slow and predictable which affected Easton s game in the first half.  We were dominant but we lacked composure and the old issue of stopping crosses came back to haunt us and we very nearly lost it as well,   unbelievable....

Shouldn't have messed with the mccabe/Fordyce partnership at the back. Although it was good to see kerr back , agnew has been great for us lately, allowing frizz and Easten to run riot.

Biggest disappointment was currie watching an obvious cross coming in for thier first goal and not coming for it.

Edited by Rossm25

10 hours ago, Uniform11 said:

This. Felt Gallagher offered us nothing tonight other than a neat hold up and pass off. He had a few sclaffs as well, I'm sure.

Yip, the priority signing we now need to make is a striker as we can't win the league with Allan and Gallagher as our first choice strikers and the unknown situations with Gabby and Sal. McInroy was superb for us but a deal for him looks dead therefore the remaining budget (if there is) needs to go on a proven goal scorer.

Easier said than done at our level of course.

7 minutes ago, Rossm25 said:

Shouldn't have messed with the mccabe/Fordyce partnership at the back. Although it was good to see kerr back , agnew has been great for us lately, allowing frizz and Easten to run riot.

Biggest disappointment was currie watching an obvious cross coming in for thier first goal and not coming for it.

I get your point a bit about McCabe/Fordyce but surely a fit Josh Kerr has to start?

Agnew has filled in ok recently and his football brain gets him through but legs have virtually gone.

14 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

I get your point a bit about McCabe/Fordyce but surely a fit Josh Kerr has to start?

Agnew has filled in ok recently and his football brain gets him through but legs have virtually gone.

Cant agree there , he's lasted the full 90 mins most games he's played and buzzes about in front of the back four the whole time. Doent need to go on mazey runs just tidy up and be smart with the ball. 

A striker is a must for me, Gal whilst he'll get you a good few goals a season he won't win u a league, Smith hasn't kicked a ball this month. Jordan Allan got to start on Sat looked the best out of the 3 recently, if there not signing a striker i can only presume Gabby will be back soon.

As ridiculous and frustrating as last night was, I find it incredibly hard to be too critical of the team, given the way they’ve played throughout the season.

Yes, any team should be able to exercise a bit of game management and see a lead out with a few minutes to go, but it will happen on the odd occasion in any given season. We’ve done well in that regard all campaign, bar Dumbarton, so just need to suck it up and move on.

Ironically, the second equaliser probably came as a result of the tactical shuffle we made to try and get the winner - I do wonder if that goal is scored were Dycey on the park. That said he did look injured.

Currie has had a couple of frustrating moments recently but again, I’m not going to jump on him just because of that - there were other failures in the build up to both goals.

It’s just my take, but I also think some of the criticism of guys like Gal and Smithy is ludicrous - Gal is just coming back from an innocuous injury (and is only PT remember) so it’ll take him time to get back up to speed and while Smithy didn’t have his best game last night, he’s been excellent with his work rate and overall contribution. We know we don’t have a 20-goal a season striker, but together, all these other guys should chip in with enough to get us to where we need to be.

I thought Kyle was excellent on his return and Janny also had a superb game, to name just two.

At the end of the day, we need to bear in mind that after putting in so much effort on Saturday, last night was always going to be a big ask.

As others have said, Cove are going to be very hard to stop but we were always going to have to rely on them dropping points somewhere so nothing has changed - just need to get back at it and concentrate on ourselves.

24 minutes ago, Rossm25 said:

Cant agree there , he's lasted the full 90 mins most games he's played and buzzes about in front of the back four the whole time. Doent need to go on mazey runs just tidy up and be smart with the ball. 

I wouldn't have said "buzzes" is the correct adjective but hey ho we're all entitled to our opinion. However I really doubt he'll start many more games this season unless injuries or suspensions kick in.

Still hurting after that last night. Missed a chance to close the gap to 5pts. But by no means over yet. Hopefully with Falkirk making some new signings, they can take points off Cove as they’ve still to play them twice. As do we ofcourse. The football we are playing is phenomenal, and I firmly believe that the team have enough character about them this season and they will bounce back m from last nights result.  We have 14 games to go. Look where we were at the beginning of April last year, and look where we finished. Keep the faith ♦️ 

38 minutes ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

Still hurting after that last night. Missed a chance to close the gap to 5pts. But by no means over yet. Hopefully with Falkirk making some new signings, they can take points off Cove as they’ve still to play them twice. As do we ofcourse. The football we are playing is phenomenal, and I firmly believe that the team have enough character about them this season and they will bounce back m from last nights result.  We have 14 games to go. Look where we were at the beginning of April last year, and look where we finished. Keep the faith ♦️ 

Agreed but by the end of February we'll pretty much know if a title challenge is still a possibility.  Looks a tough run of fixtures for us and Cove.

Thought I might have calmed down by now, but nope, I'm still absolutely fuming at the way we missed that opportunity. 

Criminal defending at both goals, poor finishing, shot-shy at times and a failure to turn domination of a game against a fairly dreadful side into the kind of comfortable victory we managed in both games against clyde last season. 

It might seem we were unfortunate to be punished at both lapses but in truth the backline was shaky all night. We looked vulnerable any time clyde attacked and we did not manage to launch attacks from the back as quickly as usual either, both factors likely down to the decision to change things in that area. 

To surrender the goals in the manner that we did, to give them a chance with a gilt-edge to win the damn thing too, was pathetic. We played some excellent stuff at times (albeit there was a lot of cheaply surrendered possession, too) and should have been out of sight, but we were not. The lack of composure, the complacency at the back, was abysmal. Sort that out and we can and will win the league. Fail to change this and we will suffer more results like that, and worse. 

A better side than clyde would have punished our defending earlier and more often. Even QP will beat us if we defend like that, and they struggle to beat anyone these days. 

Huge chance blown.