The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Still cannae quite get over the events of Saturday. 

Bedlam of the highest order. What a day it was for everyone that made it along. Wild abandon and sheer disbelief at the end. Big fan of the ice cream van that was in attendance anawl. 

Personally quite chuffed with Stenny in the cup, given that it's where my good lady hails from. Good pies the last time I was there and if it's not too saccharine to say so, it'll be nice to see Sean Crighton. 

Bedlam of the highest order. What a day it was for everyone that made it along. Wild abandon and sheer disbelief at the end. Big fan of the ice cream van that was in attendance anawl. 
Personally quite chuffed with Stenny in the cup, given that it's where my good lady hails from. Good pies the last time I was there and if it's not too saccharine to say so, it'll be nice to see Sean Crighton. 

Still shaking me head in disbelief - joint top too this morning… bloody hell.

6 hours ago, AndyDD said:

You won't be, if he scores the winner!

5 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

hadn't actually noticed this until earlier there. Big big fan of this.

I'd missed this until seeing this clip on twitter earlier too. Paton's wee angry run towards Easton before turning and screaming at Ramsbottom :lol: 

You love to see it. I love Easton more with every game.

10 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Read your own club statement ffs. They say they have a witness then go on to say your fans have been vindicated. Whether they meant it or not that absolutely screams of - 'telt you our fan/s aren't racist. Yer at it Rico'. The only thing this "idiot" is believing he reads online is the statement your own club issued.

My thoughts on the issue are irrelevant. The whole point is that your own player doesn't believe your club have handled it well and is taking it further. Your first response to that is 'aye but what about the other clubs'.

Whether you mean it or not you're quite clearly more interested on how this makes your club look rather than your own player's welfare. Again, take the tinted specs off.

Given Rico never actually heard any racist comments himself and the witness cannot identify who it was, coupled with the club opening up for more information and getting hee haw, then what more can the club do? That's not tinted specs, that's basing my thoughts on facts, unlike you. 

The clubs statement may not be the best, but Rico's issue isn't about the statement, more about how the club have handled the investigation. I'd be surprised if the police have not also been involved and investigated. Let's wee if they can do better with the very limited evidence there seems to be. 

As for the players welfare, I have shared supportive thoughts before but you won't care about that will you. Doesn't mean I can't also back the club as I have no reason not to. 

2 hours ago, Mr November said:

I'd missed this until seeing this clip on twitter earlier too. Paton's wee angry run towards Easton before turning and screaming at Ramsbottom :lol: 

You love to see it. I love Easton more with every game.

Think Paton was reacting to Easton having a go at him. I'm good with!

On 24/10/2021 at 20:54, GoalForAirdrie said:

We beat them last year away from home in the Betfred, mind? Sure it was 2-0. Craig Thomson scored the second goal 

I had been thinking about League games and had forgotten I had seen that streamed game indeed. Senior moments but I would take a repeat score.

I think everyone acknowledges that Saturday was a bit of an off-day performance wise. Most of our play seemed to come through Fordyce which probably isn't what you want! That being said, we still scored three goals, had a goal disallowed and missed a penalty. Of course the circumstances of Saturday's game make it hard to compare it with any other game played or still to come. And if you score the penalty or the disallowed goal then perhaps none of what happened later actually occurs. But that, along with the battling performance and team spirit, has to be encouraging. Alloa will be a tricky opponent but no reason why we can't get go there and get the 3 points. If we can get Smith, Frizzell and Easton running at Mendy and Durnan we should be able to cause them bother. Hopefully a win and a draw at QP v Cove and we're top come 17:00. 

36 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

I think everyone acknowledges that Saturday was a bit of an off-day performance wise. Most of our play seemed to come through Fordyce which probably isn't what you want! That being said, we still scored three goals, had a goal disallowed and missed a penalty. Of course the circumstances of Saturday's game make it hard to compare it with any other game played or still to come. And if you score the penalty or the disallowed goal then perhaps none of what happened later actually occurs. But that, along with the battling performance and team spirit, has to be encouraging. Alloa will be a tricky opponent but no reason why we can't get go there and get the 3 points. If we can get Smith, Frizzell and Easton running at Mendy and Durnan we should be able to cause them bother. Hopefully a win and a draw at QP v Cove and we're top come 17:00. 

Lots to be encouraged by so far this season, I was a bit concerned by early performances although we did have players missing. Our midfield is far better than recent years, we have players who can keep the ball and Easton is the type of player we've been needing for years now. Up front we are probably similar to the last few years - nothing amazing but equally we always carry a threat. I think it's the defence that will be the decisive factor for us this year. Watson with Walker as back-up at right back is good, and Fordyce as centre-back is solid. It's the other 2 positions that could be the issue, Kerr can be hit or miss at the best of times and then you add in his injury record. Who knows what will happen at left-back. We'll need to find some kind of solution to those 2 positions if we are going to challenge. It got lost a bit on Saturday but it shouldn't be forgotten that we couldn't defend a lead against 8 men for about 5 minutes. I'm not aware of any team ever losing a goal to 8 men before, that is embarrassing and shouldn't be overlooked by Murray in the madness that followed. The organisation down that left side for the goal was dreadful. If we can work on that then we will be in a good position.

What's also encouraging is that no other team looks particularly great. Just like the last few seasons it's there for any side who put a wee run together.

13 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Lots to be encouraged by so far this season, I was a bit concerned by early performances although we did have players missing. Our midfield is far better than recent years, we have players who can keep the ball and Easton is the type of player we've been needing for years now. Up front we are probably similar to the last few years - nothing amazing but equally we always carry a threat. I think it's the defence that will be the decisive factor for us this year. Watson with Walker as back-up at right back is good, and Fordyce as centre-back is solid. It's the other 2 positions that could be the issue, Kerr can be hit or miss at the best of times and then you add in his injury record. Who knows what will happen at left-back. We'll need to find some kind of solution to those 2 positions if we are going to challenge. It got lost a bit on Saturday but it shouldn't be forgotten that we couldn't defend a lead against 8 men for about 5 minutes. I'm not aware of any team ever losing a goal to 8 men before, that is embarrassing and shouldn't be overlooked by Murray in the madness that followed. The organisation down that left side for the goal was dreadful. If we can work on that then we will be in a good position.

What's also encouraging is that no other team looks particularly great. Just like the last few seasons it's there for any side who put a wee run together.

Agree with a lot of this and would add that the Sons missed 2 sitters in the first half which came down the left and also had good chances in the 2nd half.

McGill is doing well but isn't in his first choice position and our midfield of McCabe, McInroy and Frizzell would all like to play in the centre. Against Falkirk McInroy struggled in to defend from the right mid position at first and it became better only when Friz went there, but he's much better going forward than defending. It would be great if Rico returns

Set up to be a very interesting game on Saturday given the two results and Alloa looked really dangerous versus QP, albeit I'm going by the highlights. We feel a stronger side since the reverse fixture and obviously that was us just coming back from Covid, so you'd like to think we'll be a level above that performance especially considering our recent run, but all winning runs comes to an end and the home team will be buoyed by their own last-gasp winner. 

By all accounts they played a mostly second string side in the challenge cup defeat last night so I doubt there's going to be much in the way of fatigue from that. 

Another narrow win would do me nicely and, given the goalfests both sides had last weekend, you kind of expect a tighter, less eventful affair lies in wait. 

Set up to be a very interesting game on Saturday given the two results and Alloa looked really dangerous versus QP, albeit I'm going by the highlights. We feel a stronger side since the reverse fixture and obviously that was us just coming back from Covid, so you'd like to think we'll be a level above that performance especially considering our recent run, but all winning runs comes to an end and the home team will be buoyed by their own last-gasp winner. 
By all accounts they played a mostly second string side in the challenge cup defeat last night so I doubt there's going to be much in the way of fatigue from that. 
Another narrow win would do me nicely and, given the goalfests both sides had last weekend, you kind of expect a tighter, less eventful affair lies in wait. 

Barry fielded a weakened team against the Rangers…..