The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

5 hours ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Anyone else find the statement from the club regarding the incident with Quitongo to be somewhat foolish and poorly worded, or just me?

"Vindication" makes it sound like they are hanging him out to dry and are satisfied that it hasn't happened, ergo the player is lying.

Fair enough if they haven't found any corroborative evidence but to say that it was important the fans had not been "unfairly accused" and have been vindicated sounds very much like a clear taking of sides. Just because evidence isn't there to be found doesn't make it untrue.

This may not be what they meant (or maybe they did) but I don't see it doing much for the morale of the player.62772768e36103a910c9f8813134f5ba.jpg

I thought the same. It’s almost in a roundabout way saying they’ve managed to prove Quitongo made it up.

I seen his brother dropping a tweet that suggests he isn’t best pleased with the outcome.

On 12/10/2021 at 18:02, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Anyone else find the statement from the club regarding the incident with Quitongo to be somewhat foolish and poorly worded, or just me?

"Vindication" makes it sound like they are hanging him out to dry and are satisfied that it hasn't happened, ergo the player is lying.

Fair enough if they haven't found any corroborative evidence but to say that it was important the fans had not been "unfairly accused" and have been vindicated sounds very much like a clear taking of sides. Just because evidence isn't there to be found doesn't make it untrue.

This may not be what they meant (or maybe they did) but I don't see it doing much for the morale of the player.62772768e36103a910c9f8813134f5ba.jpg

Not many replies to this topic,  IMO the club seemed to have done all they can,  nobody has came forward to identify the alleged 'John Doe'...   The investigation has been open for in excess of 3 weeks...   It's an unfortunate situation which as a club we have to move on from..  I am sure Rico has had the situation explained to him prior to going to press..... What more could be done,,,  (answers on a postcard)...

Not many replies to this topic,  IMO the club seemed to have done all they can,  nobody has came forward to identify the alleged 'John Doe'...   The investigation has been open for in excess of 3 weeks...   It's an unfortunate situation which as a club we have to move on from..  I am sure Rico has had the situation explained to him prior to going to press..... What more could be done,,,  (answers on a postcard)...

I know nothing of the circumstances of the incident but the accusation on Twitter from his brother is that there were three witnesses and the club has done nothing/is lying about the evidence.

I'm not suggesting they haven't done all they can to investigate (although others do seem to have said that) I just find the wording of the statement very curious. A lack of evidence does not disprove an allegation but that seems to be the suggestion here.

As far as I can see the accusation was against an unidentified individual yet the club statement mentions the club and supporters as a whole being vindicated. "It was also important to ensure that our club and supporters as a whole, were not unfairly accused of using racist language. We believe that this process has been a vindication". Wording like that makes it sound like they have gone on the defensive from the outset.

What I will say is that if, as suggested elsewhere, there are other witnesses to this then they should be speaking to the police and not relying on the club to deal with it.

22 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

I'm not suggesting they haven't done all they can to investigate (although others do seem to have said that) I just find the wording of the statement very curious. A lack of evidence does not disprove an allegation but that seems to be the suggestion here.

As far as I can see the accusation was against an unidentified individual yet the club statement mentions the club and supporters as a whole being vindicated. "It was also important to ensure that our club and supporters as a whole, were not unfairly accused of using racist language. We believe that this process has been a vindication". Wording like that makes it sound like they have gone on the defensive from the outset.

What I will say is that if, as suggested elsewhere, there are other witnesses to this then they should be speaking to the police and not relying on the club to deal with it.

There could be 100 witnesses, but if they are unable to provide details of the alleged perpetrator,  what can be done..

As the club has stated Case Closed,    Onwards and upwards

10 hours ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

I don't understand why it's not the police investigating the incident. It should be fairly easy to sort out as well.

There were only 100 / 150 Airdrie fans there and pretty much no atmosphere.

Most of the support was congregated in the middle of the stand and nobody there seems to have heard anything. Quite a few people witnessed one fan having a go at Quitongo for not getting tight to his man but no racist language was used.

So that leaves a handful of fans down the front. Once you rule out the women with the kids you're down to about 10 to 15 fans it could be. There is CCTV footage, plus photographer match pics and game footage. It should be easy for any witness or witnesses to point out from pictures who they believe done it. 

Also tickets were bought online so you have a list of who paid in.

Any police investigation should take no time at all.

55 minutes ago, Tory Boy said:

I don't understand why it's not the police investigating the incident. It should be fairly easy to sort out as well.

There were only 100 / 150 Airdrie fans there and pretty much no atmosphere.

Most of the support was congregated in the middle of the stand and nobody there seems to have heard anything. Quite a few people witnessed one fan having a go at Quitongo for not getting tight to his man but no racist language was used.

So that leaves a handful of fans down the front. Once you rule out the women with the kids you're down to about 10 to 15 fans it could be. There is CCTV footage, plus photographer match pics and game footage. It should be easy for any witness or witnesses to point out from pictures who they believe done it. 

Also tickets were bought online so you have a list of who paid in.

Any police investigation should take no time at all.

100% agree with this.

If there are 3+ witnesses which rico's brother is claiming then surely they would be pushing them to go to the police with the matter.

Be interesting to see if Rico play's on Saturday.

The statement is worded terribly but I don't think for a second that the club hasn't investigated it as thourghly as possible and offered Rico support. 
I get the feeling people are desprate for the allegations to be true. 
That's my issue with it, I can't comment on the standard of the club investigation but that statement reads like they've thrown the laddie under the proverbial bus.

3 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

The footballing side apart, statements and information coming from the club is piss poor. It's been suggested that PH micro manages everything but perhaps he needs to leave some functions to others.

Agree the statement is a little long winded, how about short and sharp.. 

CASE NOT PROVEN,     NEXT.......

There is an element in our support who appear to be 'Anti Establishment ' at all costs, interesting to hear the reasons why.....

As for Ricos brother, nice of him to get involved  a fine upstanding individual,  that right Jai....

14 hours ago, Passionate said:

There is an element in our support who appear to be 'Anti Establishment ' at all costs, interesting to hear the reasons why.....

As for Ricos brother, nice of him to get involved  a fine upstanding individual,  that right Jai....

You're immediate acceptance of a poor statement, eagerness to move on from this without much being said and your inclination to cast doubt over the character of the Quitongo family is pretty fucking telling, tbqhwy. 

14 hours ago, Passionate said:

I wasn't there and by all accounts there was a small away support which should have made it quite easy to identify the culprit. It's a strange one!

PH has paid his money and runs the club and is obviously a successful businessman but as you hint I do have a bit of gripe although I don't think he has done much wrong on the football side. Someone listed some points on Facebook concerned about the trust, fans liason officer, junior diamonds, Club 1924 and several which are all pretty valid. My main concern is that PH appears to be extremely secretive, private, call it what you like but his general lack of engagement, makes me very suspicious of him and very strange for a hands on owner.

I really would like to see an interview on DTV with him where he could outline his vision for the club and engage a bit more with the fan

I wasn't there and by all accounts there was a small away support which should have made it quite easy to identify the culprit. It's a strange one!
PH has paid his money and runs the club and is obviously a successful businessman but as you hint I do have a bit of gripe although I don't think he has done much wrong on the football side. Someone listed some points on Facebook concerned about the trust, fans liason officer, junior diamonds, Club 1924 and several which are all pretty valid. My main concern is that PH appears to be extremely secretive, private, call it what you like but his general lack of engagement, makes me very suspicious of him and very strange for a hands on owner.
I really would like to see an interview on DTV with him where he could outline his vision for the club and engage a bit more with the fan

I think it’s OK if you don’t want to be front and centre as the owner - but then you need someone to make that connection for you. I always thought that was part of Stuart Millar’s job, to be that link. Since he left, it’s all stopped/broken down. The communication is terrible. This week’s statement a car crash IMO. Makes me wonder who is advising him…

53 minutes ago, She who dares gins said:

I think it’s OK if you don’t want to be front and centre as the owner - but then you need someone to make that connection for you. I always thought that was part of Stuart Millar’s job, to be that link. Since he left, it’s all stopped/broken down. The communication is terrible. This week’s statement a car crash IMO. Makes me wonder who is advising him…

Methinks himself.

On 12/10/2021 at 18:02, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Agreed. It's a terribly worded statement (at best). No need at all to mention the possibility of a false accusation let alone insinuate that that's what happened and take 'vindication' from that conclusion. 

While I've no doubt the outcome is disappointing for Rico and his family, the club can only do what they can with the evidence they have and their power and ability to respond to that. Being honest though, I'm really not sure clubs should be investigating themselves in these circumstances in the first place. 

It's Rico I really feel for. I hope he is doing okay, he is being looked after by the club and the club are or will support him with however he wants to move forward or progress. That's ultimately the most important thing at this time. It's important he is supported with whatever choice he makes (whether that is progressing the investigation further with the police or SFA or however else he may want to go from here), he is believed and that he's given the support, time and resources he needs to look after his wellbeing as best as possible. However well you think the club may have done with their investigation, I really don't think arguing with his brother on social media is appropriate or necessary. 

And finally, always believe victims.