The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

16 hours ago, Locker Luke said:

Re us being the only Scottish team to beat Man City in a competitive match , this is very commendable.......however we are probably the only Scottish team to have lost to the mighty Bury in a competitive match (Anglo-Scottish Cup I think it was. around 1980?). We were in the Premier Division at the time whereas they were in League Division 4 (or Division 2 as it is now known). That kind of puts things into perspective! 

We lost 4-2 at Broomfield on a Tuesday night before the return game in England the following month. Airdrie fans thought they would beat Bury quite easily, as at the time they were in a lowly position in the bottom tier. Notable for a Bury player getting booked (sent off if I remember correctly) for gesticulating to the crowd for giving him...racial abuse.  🙄 

Edited by Diamonds Are Red

8 hours ago, Diamonds Are Red said:

We lost 4-2 at Broomfield on a Tuesday night before the return game in England the following month. Airdrie fans thought they would beat Bury quite easily, as at the time they were in a lowly position in the bottom tier. Notable for a Bury player getting booked (sent off if I remember correctly) for gesticulating to the crowd for giving him...racial abuse.  🙄 

I remember my pals and I giving one of their players pelters as he took a shy and he reacted by telling us to "f*ck off".  Imagine being triggered by a squeaky-voiced bunch of 9 year olds shouting "haw mister, you're rubbish".

Edited by stuartcraig

4 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Who's the new signing going to be? Leaving it late on deadline day!

If I had to guess I’d say a wide player as we really don’t have any or maybe a defender as we’re fairly short there but I don’t know! 

5 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Well he used to play for Dunfermline so he at least meets that criteria. 

Calling bullshit on being 21 however. 

21 or 31 😬

Mind you if I had to endure 9 years at Celtic it would age me like that too.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

4 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Can't say I've heard of him but 21 year old, still at Celtic and training with the first team, and capped at Scotland under 21 level he must have some quality and it's another option for the Diamonds. 

Defensive midfielder according to Transfermrkt though that could of course be nonsense. Concerned that might mean McCabe is out for an extended period of time however. He was a huge miss on Saturday and we really can’t afford for him to be missing. He drives the whole team and makes things happen. Would put a lot of pressure on McInroy regardless of how talented he is. 

Could just as plausibly be Ian Murray wanting to change shape. 

1 hour ago, stuartcraig said:

I remember my pals and I giving one of their players pelters as he took a shy and he reacted by telling us to "f*ck off".  Imagine being triggered by a squeaky-voiced bunch of 9 year olds shouting "haw mister, you're rubbish".

Maybe not the same player but the one who did react to chants was horribly racially abused. 

10 hours ago, Diamonds Are Red said:

Maybe not the same player but the one who did react to chants was horribly racially abused. 

Just to be clear, I wasn't attempting to suggest that he wasn't.

17 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Defensive midfielder according to Transfermrkt though that could of course be nonsense. Concerned that might mean McCabe is out for an extended period of time however. He was a huge miss on Saturday and we really can’t afford for him to be missing. He drives the whole team and makes things happen. Would put a lot of pressure on McInroy regardless of how talented he is. 

Could just as plausibly be Ian Murray wanting to change shape. 

McCabe in  squad for Sat, Fordyce and Gabby  doubtful 

On 29/09/2021 at 19:08, Locker Luke said:

Re us being the only Scottish team to beat Man City in a competitive match , this is very commendable.......however we are probably the only Scottish team to have lost to the mighty Bury in a competitive match (Anglo-Scottish Cup I think it was. around 1980?). We were in the Premier Division at the time whereas they were in League Division 4 (or Division 2 as it is now known). That kind of puts things into perspective! 

I read Neville Southall's football life story in what was quite a good book. He played for Bury and was less than enthralled by his visit to Broomfield. Yes we lost both home and away but I am pretty sure Rangers were thumped by Chesterfield who went on to win it. At that point it came to an end as a competition, which indeed puts Scottish football at that time ( and now?) also in perspective.

Given our level of injuries etc another midfielder is at least another body. Know nothing about the loan player apart from seeing one FB trail on you tube of his goals-he does appear to shoot and score, from any area near the box and we could have done with some of that last week. Have no idea where he will play so I hope Murray does.

12 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Given our level of injuries etc another midfielder is at least another body. Know nothing about the loan player apart from seeing one FB trail on you tube of his goals-he does appear to shoot and score, from any area near the box and we could have done with some of that last week. Have no idea where he will play so I hope Murray does.

Aye not only did he hit the target he hit the back of the net, can only be a plus, could be on at some point  tomorrow  . 

10 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Looks like Fordyce ain't making it tomorrow therefore the changes from last week could be, McInroy & McCabe to replace Smith & Agnew in the midfield 4, Smith moving up front with either Gallagher or Aissa dropping out. 

Just now, Kenny_m said:

Looks like Fordyce ain't making it tomorrow therefore the changes from last week could be, McInroy & McCabe to replace Smith & Agnew in the midfield 4, Smith moving up front with either Gallagher or Aissa dropping out. 

Interesting selection and I look forward to see if IM reads P/B. I think if anyone drops out it will be Aissa. Oh if only Gallagher can do an overhead again!

3 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Interesting selection and I look forward to see if IM reads P/B. I think if anyone drops out it will be Aissa. Oh if only Gallagher can do an overhead again!

Got to get Smith up front to utilise his pace. Gallager & Aissa are both penalty box strikers although Aissa shades it for me due to his aerial ability.