Jump to content

The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, WeAllDreamOfATeamOfAndyRyans said:

Is it too early to say that we are the best team in this league and they might aswell give us the trophy now?

I will wait till the first quarter is up so we can judge every side, but of course-Yes, as well avoiding which question I answered!

Edited by Chapelhall chap
spelling error
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Slightly off topic,  have we started doing matchday hospitality yet, with most restrictions now lifted, it always seemed a good 'earner' for the club..

 

Falkirk, QP and Clyde ( probably others) in our League are offering pre match hospitality....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Passionate said:

Slightly off topic,  have we started doing matchday hospitality yet, with most restrictions now lifted, it always seemed a good 'earner' for the club..

 

Falkirk, QP and Clyde ( probably others) in our League are offering pre match hospitality....

I haven't seen it publicised anywhere at all so I assume not. I don't know what the cost of running it is financially or convenience or staff wise but like you say it seems like a missed opportunity. I believe I'm 'owed' it twice now as a shirt sponsor so, having never done it before, I'm looking forward to the experience when it gets going again. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 21/09/2021 at 22:59, Passionate said:

Slightly off topic,  have we started doing matchday hospitality yet, with most restrictions now lifted, it always seemed a good 'earner' for the club..

 

Falkirk, QP and Clyde ( probably others) in our League are offering pre match hospitality....

On the subject of that, I've been getting emails from Queen's Park advertising their hospitality since I bought tickets for the League Cup game at Firhill and it really looks like they put in a decent effort to make it a good day out. At £50 per person it is a bit steep but I suppose so is £18 for a matchday ticket

1783ACCB-7651-4B32-A7A3-4870E6877F81.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Wee wasp said:

Any of you guys able to tell me what Griffin Sabatini was like as he's playing as a trialist for a local junior club tomorrow where my mate is a coach

A junior team in Scotland is definitely not where I expected him to end up!

He was a strange player, some fans loved him, others didn’t rate him. He had a very decent start and looked like a really composed, accomplished midfielder for this level in a couple of early games but there were also plenty of games which seemed to pass him by. The way we played didn’t really suit him, he liked to drop deep and collect the ball from the centre backs but Sean Crighton and Callum Fordyce are hardly ball playing defenders and we we spent more time launching long balls towards Callum Gallagher and Paul McKay. He dropped out the team and was barely seen after the restart, it seemed fairly clear that Ian Murray didn’t fully trust him and to be fair we looked a significantly better team with Kyle Turner and Paul Paton in midfield.

Overall he was decent enough, we’ve certainly had a lot worse players in recent years but equally he wasn’t anywhere near as good as some people made him out to be, at least not consistently enough. He’s more than good enough for whatever level the junior team are at. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Mr November said:

A junior team in Scotland is definitely not where I expected him to end up!

He was a strange player, some fans loved him, others didn’t rate him. He had a very decent start and looked like a really composed, accomplished midfielder for this level in a couple of early games but there were also plenty of games which seemed to pass him by. The way we played didn’t really suit him, he liked to drop deep and collect the ball from the centre backs but Sean Crighton and Callum Fordyce are hardly ball playing defenders and we we spent more time launching long balls towards Callum Gallagher and Paul McKay. He dropped out the team and was barely seen after the restart, it seemed fairly clear that Ian Murray didn’t fully trust him and to be fair we looked a significantly better team with Kyle Turner and Paul Paton in midfield.

Overall he was decent enough, we’ve certainly had a lot worse players in recent years but equally he wasn’t anywhere near as good as some people made him out to be, at least not consistently enough. He’s more than good enough for whatever level the junior team are at. 

Thanks for the reply mate, tbf i think the boys looking at it as a stepping stone to get back up the leagues,  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Wee wasp said:

Any of you guys able to tell me what Griffin Sabatini was like as he's playing as a trialist for a local junior club tomorrow where my mate is a coach

What team is it mate? I liked Griffin. Was good at collecting and recycling the ball and winning second balls in the middle of the park. There were games that definitely passed him by and times where he struggled to have any sort of influence, but on his day I thought he was a good midfielder for this level. Admittedly, that's a small sample size however as he barely played after the first couple of months of the season. He virtually disappeared after the re-start as Ian Murray clearly didn't fancy him. There were still games last season where I thought he could have played a part and he wasn't helped by us having an incredibly unbalanced midfield until Paton and Turner arrived, however their arrival pushed him down the pecking order even further. 

Definitely good enough to be playing in the Scottish non-leagues. TBH there's still a couple of teams in this league I reckon he'd improve. My only concern would be his fitness as he's barely kicked a ball in 2021. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 21/09/2021 at 22:59, Passionate said:

Slightly off topic,  have we started doing matchday hospitality yet, with most restrictions now lifted, it always seemed a good 'earner' for the club..

 

Falkirk, QP and Clyde ( probably others) in our League are offering pre match hospitality....

Starting back next month! Got an email about it today. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Wee wasp said:

Any of you guys able to tell me what Griffin Sabatini was like as he's playing as a trialist for a local junior club tomorrow where my mate is a coach

From rated at Dnipro to the Scottish junior ranks in 13 months... now THAT is a fall from grace 😬😬

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No Dycey is unexpected, don't think he's missed a game since signing at the start of the 19/20 season. Presumably Watson will move into centre back and McGill will play right back which is fine but I'm looking forward to a game where we're not forced to play players out of position, especially considering how good Watson's been at right back recently.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

No Dycey is unexpected, don't think he's missed a game since signing at the start of the 19/20 season. Presumably Watson will move into centre back and McGill will play right back which is fine but I'm looking forward to a game where we're not forced to play players out of position, especially considering how good Watson's been at right back recently.

Aye 3 to many off today, McCabe will be a big miss, but  Fordyce and McGill was badly needed  today, oh for a quality striker, 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted on the Cove thread but we were all saying that we'd settle for a point around the time of the late goal-so an unhappy and annoying  end to a pleasant trip up and nice weather. The performance was a bit flat in an attacking sense from us.   Will need to get back on track against Clyde.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Posted on the Cove thread but we were all saying that we'd settle for a point around the time of the late goal-so an unhappy and annoying  end to a pleasant trip up and nice weather. The performance was a bit flat in an attacking sense from us.   Will need to get back on track against Clyde.

Disappointing result in the end strange and very tight league this year one or two things need to click and McCabe defo missed that said we can more compete with anyone in this league. Agree we do need to get back on track next week. 

A word on the ref thought he was very poor ♦️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Eric the half a b said:

Disappointing result in the end strange and very tight league this year one or two things need to click and McCabe defo missed that said we can more compete with anyone in this league. Agree we do need to get back on track next week. 

A word on the ref thought he was very poor ♦️

There was very little that was superior in Cove but home advantage probably drove them forward in the 2nd half. I mentioned the Ref as well in my other post.  The Macaroni pie ( sold out meat ones) , although adequate was a sign that Italian cooking should not be put in a Scotch Pie shell. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...